Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battlewagons
Da WAAAGH > DA SLUGGA AND CHOPPA (WH40k Orks) > DA GOFF FORTRESS
Goregut
Hello everyone.

I am soon going to get my third Battlewagon for my last squad of foot slogging boyz, so the other 2 squads won't laugh at them anymore for foot slogging (and staying behind) while the rest of them race forward to have some fun. I will be getting someone's unused Land Raider and check out if i have any modelling skills (but that's a whole different topic)

So with three Battlewagons, i was wondering how many battlewagons you all use. Would it be a waste to get a fourth one? Or can someone never have enough battlewagons in a list? Simply put: How many battlewagons do you guys normally use in your lists?
Nym
Well, there are many answers to your question. Do you play for fun ? Do you play in a competitive environnement ? Do you play in tournaments ?

If you play for fun, don't use 3 of them, because people will quickly shun you. If you play in a competitive environnement (like I do), 3 is ok, 4 or 5 if people are *very* competitive. In tournaments (no limit), as many as you see fit (5 or more).

You must adapt to the people you play with, and don't bring more than they can tolerate.
nkelsch
I feel like every ork player NEEDS 2, you will average get by with 3, but for competative play will max out around 5. Usually 2 NOB units and 3 Boyz in HS BWs is the battlewagon bash configuration.
Cossack
Hah! I spit on my keyboard when I saw this topic. There is no such thing as "Too Many"!!! And you have the right attitude to make fun of the footsloggers.

Get them that ride. Or better yet, make them EARN IT by killing something for scrap in a game.
laughterofgods
While I only own 3 at the moment, I side with Cossack on this matter. No such thing as owning to many of anything in the Ork Codex, especially Battlewagons.
Dribble Joy
QUOTE (Nym @ Feb 21 2012, 01:05 PM) *
If you play for fun, don't use 3 of them, because people will quickly shun you.

I've never come across this.

Wagons are easy to kill: Mediocre side armour and poor rear; they are not a Demolisher or Land Raider.

In my regular games I take five, though only two are taxis, the others are support (mix of lifta-droppas and super kannons).
Warghoul
I think the correct answer to the question asked in the forum thread, is one more then fits both within your play style and army composition.

As to if getting a 4th battlewagon would be a waste, depends on if you plan on using it or not. I mean if you're not going to use it, it's kind of a waste unless you enjoy building, converting, and painting models. Which I think most of us on this forum enjoy doing, but there are a few people only enjoy the hobby aspect only in so far that it supports the game play.

To answer the last question posed, of how many battlewagons I use. The answer is none. I've only fielded a battle wagon in one of my games, ever. I found that it didn't suit my play style and chewed up to many points. All my squads are either small enough to fit into a trukk or big enough not to fit into a battlewagon. But then again I run a very strange army composition that would probably make people scratch their heads at how the hell I win with it.

Just my two cents.
big mek tank krusha
the orky way of thinking is that too many is 9, 'cos it don't fit in the Force organisation chart.

however it really is down to what you want. personally i plan on making the full 8 battlewagons for my army, and so far i have 3 of 'em done. i love the effect the presence of a deffrolla seems to have on my usual opponent - suddenly all his units are staying behind cover, which is especially funny that those units are usually either blood-crazed assault Beakies or hormogaunts. had a game where his entire army hunkered down, and he tried to shift 3 battlewagons full of shoota boyz, slugga boyz and nobz with a single heavy venom cannon against front armour and a KFF. i ended up killing most of his gaunts with exploding trukks (both got 6" blasts right next to his gaunts, hitting all of 'em!). once someone's had a bad experience with a deff rolla, they learn to avoid it.

so i'd recommend playing with your 3 battlewagons a lot. see if people react differently to them - the game i mentioned was funny, but boring, as i had no intention of charging through cover when i can shoot from a battlewagon. if they seem to be fine with 3 BW's in your group, up it to 4 or 5 and see how many is needed to make 'em sweat winkingOrk.gif .

personally i just love building 'em, so i probably won't stop at 8.
Mad Mek Snowfyre
The answer to that?

what style of army you run
and
How many points.
and
how many armoured vehicles you like

Cause wagons for me rarely appear below 1500 pts (bit like too many points in a bucket). but they're somewhat common in my lists at 1500 pts or more as I tend to run a hybrid shooty-dreadbash-footslogger list. Beyond 1500 pts I usually have at least one, usually with a rolla, largely to deal with enemy tanks.

Also the other reason being I don't have many wagon models for some odd reason. eyerollork2.gif Munny (and space) issues.
Goregut
Judging by all your posts, my Mekboyz will be plundering the battlefield soon for even more scrap metal to build up another Wagon.

For my own lists, I always have run 2 Battlewagons (the max amount i own) in every list so far, and they always earn back their points.
I am even thinking about putting 2 Deff Rolla wagons and a big mek with 39 boyz in a 650 point duo tourney for extra krumpin' biggrin2.gif

They go and drop their load of first, and after that they simply steamroll anything in sight and/or shoot their Kannon ad Big shoota at anything in range. So my opponent is going to have to deal with them sooner or later, even after the boyz are already in the thick of melee.

I guess the max amount i would be running after reading all your posts, would be around 4, since my FOC won't allow more unless i use more than 1 Nob unit.

Thanks for the replies.
Blakkreaper
QUOTE (Dribble Joy @ Feb 22 2012, 05:41 AM) *
I've never come across this.

Wagons are easy to kill: Mediocre side armour and poor rear; they are not a Demolisher or Land Raider.

In my regular games I take five, though only two are taxis, the others are support (mix of lifta-droppas and super kannons).

Inded. I run 2 suppost in my 1k list, and not even supa-kanonz. That said FW does open up a few better options for support-wagons.

That said, Orks love the 3 rs. Redundancy, repetition, and "redundancy and repitition".

Cossack
It's worthing having an entire box full of Battlewagons for no other reason than to just set them out and scare the crap out of your opponent!
greggles
I use 2 with 4 trukk's at 1500 points. Been debating moving points around and running 3 BW's and 3 trukk's @ 1500.

I think the biggest thing with opponents hating on the BW's, is if they get within deff rolla range...getting a few multi-tank shocks off with that bad-boy makes everyone pretty upset. I had a game a few weeks ago, where a majority of my force was nullified, except for the two battlewagons...I got off tank shocks through 4 units each. It was devastating. Those two tank shocks did more damage in 1 turn then the rest of my army the previous 3. (Mainly due to doom of malenthai landing smack dab in the middle of a huge mob of boys, maws, and manz...and then rolling 15, 14, and 13 on 3d6 =/).

Cossack
F&*@ 'em. I'm not letting my opponent tell me what I do with my army. There will always be players who cry like babies because something can hurt them in the game. That's their problem.

Maybe I'll put mirrors on the fronts of mine, so the whiney baby can see himself cry as I roll over his troops.
greggles
LOL....new kommando idea there. Have them hide behind mirrors.
urluck
QUOTE (greggles @ Feb 22 2012, 07:47 PM) *
LOL....new kommando idea there. Have them hide behind mirrors.

hehehehehe, and that's a diorama, if I ever heard one.

Going back on topic for a sec, I've found two to be about right in a 1500 point game, as long as you have some trucks to back them up. I would however agree with cossacks assertion that the phrase "too many" does not really apply here.
Goregut
QUOTE (Cossack @ Feb 22 2012, 08:00 PM) *
F&*@ 'em. I'm not letting my opponent tell me what I do with my army. There will always be players who cry like babies because something can hurt them in the game. That's their problem.

Maybe I'll put mirrors on the fronts of mine, so the whiney baby can see himself cry as I roll over his troops.

I will keep this in mind with a smile on my face, when i will be rolling over my next opponent biggrin2.gif
DigitalKiller
I think that Greggles has a point, at 1500, 4 trukk and 2BW, then test 3 trukk and 3 BW ans see how things going. search.gif
greggles
I actually encountered a "too many battlewagon's" this past weekend. I paired up with another ork player, and we played 1500 points each. He used nob bikers with 2 BW's, I ran 2 BW's and 4 trukk's.

Some incredibly lucky shots early on immobilized both of my allys battlewagons, after they had moved in front of mine. He didn't pay for grot riggers, nor did he have any mek's. The end result was that I had to spend 2 turns going around their massive bulk, as he basically cut me off from the enemies forces. Because my wagons were carrying a lot of very angry orks, I think it was the point where we lost the game. Unable to get an early charge off with the meganobz, and delaying a massive flame attack from the burna's, enabled the opponents to carry on shooting with glee. (They popped all 4 of my trukk's on turn 1).

So lesson learned. If you are an ork player, don't position your vehicles to block your ally if they should be disabled...and always pay for grot riggers! It's 5 points!!@!!$#~!$@!()&!

Question:
Can I deff rolla through my ally's wagon is furious ork anger, blowing it up, and continue forward? smilingOrk.gif
Nosher
QUOTE (greggles @ Mar 12 2012, 09:22 AM) *
Can I deff rolla through my ally's wagon is furious ork anger, blowing it up, and continue forward? smilingOrk.gif

You really should be able to, though I don't imagine you'll find that in the Apoc rules. They should add it, however.

Heck, next time field your BW's in a modified "Trukk Konvoy" formation from IA:8 (which lets you ram each other for an extra boost of speed).
Drobbit
As many and as cheap as you can.

One is god, two is better, three is... awesome. All with deff rolla and one big shoota to avoid being immobilized.

Allocate points on it is a waste of points imo. They're objective is to transport mobs and once they are there, the only weapon you need is the deff rolla (or while you are going there XD). The only upgrade is good is the red paint job (faster is better).
ZAP!!!
Too much is never enough
Sorric
I own 6, but rarely use more then 3. Anything 1750 and up, I have one battlewagon loaded up with my nob unit, 2 loaded up with slugga boyz. Sometimes I do burnas but they are hard to pull off....but nothing like laying a template down over the enemy troops and saying "how many is under that....k what is that times 15?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.