Until KroozA announced his kontest I thought I had no need for another looted vehicle (I love my bassie), but the kontest soon changed that.
I decided to loot a Leman Russ Demolisher – Gaf-Naz can’t resist the big guns!
First job was to build the standard russ hull and add double-width trakks. I also built the standard sponsons and orkified the heavy bolters by replacing each one with 2 shootas.
I left out some of the upper wheels and trakk links as they’ll be covered by trakk-guards, and the bits will be useful for future projects.
I then started to construct the trakk-guards, using various sizes of plasticard strip to build up a raised lip.
I then used 1mm thick plasticard to box in the trakk-guards, leaving some nice big areas to add gubbinz, stowage and glyphs to later on.
Next up I added some dags cut from tread-plate embossed plasticard, a moon glyph and the obligatory tiled roofs on the sponsons. I also built a visor style viewport for the driver, with a teef glyph taken from a WHFB shield.
Next – the def-rolla! Well it is a KroozA run kontest!
I used a cut-down kitchen foil tube, wrapped in 0.5mm thick plasticard and plated with 0.75mm thick plasticard. The ends were sealed with 2 slotta bases, and old rhino hatches and WHFB shields added for detail.
The def-rolla was fitted in place with 2 pieces of 1.5mm thick plasticard that handily wedged into place between the russ’ hull and trakks.
Plasticard strip was used to add detail to the sponsons. A door, with wire mesh window, and ladder were added, as well as dented armour plates all over.
The beginnings of a shroom-farm, using the mushrooms from the WHFB night goblin sprue, can be seen on the rear left trakk-guard. Glyph plates from the OOP plastic battlewagon have been added to the right-hand sponson.
Gaf-Naz decided that the weedy oomie engine had to be replaced with something more orky!
A rear platform was built with plastic I-beams and pieces of the platformer kit, covered in tread-plate embossed plasticard.
A kinder-egg was used to create a pressurised liquid squig fuel-tank (can this entry be considered for the “use a kinder-egg” kontest too?).
The orange hose, connecting the fuel-tank to the engine, is a lego piece, hatches are from the russ sprues, dials and valves from the kan accessories, and the exhausts are built from plasticard tubing.
Hidden behind the fuel-tank are the new orky “elektriks” – 2 killer kan rokkit launchas (without the rokkits), some cabling from the kan accessories and springs from lighters used for wiring.
I’ve used sliced-up plastic rod (1mm round, 1mm hex and 1.5mm hex) for my rivets, varying the sizes as to what they’re meant to be holding down. I also used some bolts on the trakk-guards, made from small squares of plasticard with a 1.5mm hex rivet stuck on top.
Nosh-Ripoff (food for sale) and Squig-Ripoff (supplies for sale) glyphs were added to the shroom farm and box-of-gubbinz. A bad moon’s always on the lookout to make a few more teef!
Also added a Waaagh! glyph to the front right-hand trakk-guard.
Work then commenced on the turret. I wanted a moving one, so I used the russ turret as a base and built it up with layers of plasticard (so the gun would clear my trakk-guards).
I used a cardboard roll for the demolisha kannon. Covered in 0.5mm thick plasticard, and detailed with plasticard strip and dags.
PART 2 COMING IN A MINUTE - PLEASE DON'T REPLY TILL ALL 3 PARTS ARE POSTED. THANKYOU.
I then used 1mm thick plasticard to build up the shape of the turret, with 1.5mm thick plasticard for armour plates. The grill from the russ sprue is meant to be an exhaust vent for the kannon, with the hatch being for loading ammo.
Also built a periscope, with orky targeters, for the aiming-grot to look out of.
The tank kommanda was built from a WHFB orc command sprue torso, metal nob slugga arm and head, and the arm from the new big mek.
The big mek arm is for controlling the turret and firing the kannon.
Added rivets, and finally, in typical bad moon tastes, a banner pole built from plastic tubing, with Beakee-Snik and Panzee-Dreg glyphs, and the obligatory moon.
PART 3 COMING IN A MINUTE - PLEASE DON'T REPLY TILL ALL 3 PARTS ARE POSTED. THANKYOU.
And here she is all finished:
And undercoated, with grot riggers made from WHFB goblins and tools from the OOP plastic battlewagon.
I’ve started drybrushing her (to bring the details out more in the pics), but have stopped for now as I’m so happy with this model that I don’t want to rush the paintjob.
Big thanks to KroozA for running the competition and giving me the incentive I needed to start mekking again.
Also, thanks to all the meks who keep posting such inspiring work in the garage for Gaf-Naz to drool over.
Good luck to all the other meks who’ve entered the kontest.
All comments, criticisms, suggestions welcome.