Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Idiots guide to Ebaying

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,746 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Warhead suggested a thread on Ebay listings a day or so back, personally I think they come and go so frequently that it'd collapse under its' own weight, plus something which would be a bargain in the States wouldn't be so cost effective if it had to be shipped across the water anywhere. Perhaps an idiots guide where people can post their cock-ups so that hopefully others won't make the same mistakes or their triumphs which others might be able to imitate could be of more use :?

So, to start off - You get what you pay for, 

10 pre-owned boyz, buy it now price £12, get two or more for reduced postage costs.

Ebay1.jpg

The twelve at the top are AoBR, the eight at the bottom are the boyz that come in the box set but without any extras. Postage came to £6 so 20 boyz for £30 - £36 would have got two boxes of orks containing parts for 22 boyz + 2 nobz as well as all the extra bitz and they wouldn't have already been caked in paint

So, before you get carried away, first make sure it's worth it :biggrin  :biggrin

• warhead01 and Garslag like this

warhead01

warhead01

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,098 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gor-Gak !

Good points! 
I look at the price and any shipping and taxes to see if it's actually a good price or a deal. usually I settle for saving just a little but it just depends on what I'm interested in buying.  I frequent 2 or 3 sellers that sell used miniatures and are reliable If I recall I was buying war trakks for roughly $14 USD, used but in reasonable condition. After looking around for a while you can determine the average costs and then just pick which ever look better to you. 

Keep in mind that what you are looking for is likely different that what I am willing to buy and repaint. For what ever reason my methods have had no issues with models in most any condition. Really look out for poorly applied primer. Every now and then I end up with a few crappy models that I will try to strip but being Orks, I have no real issues with just priming over what ever they were covered in before. For new in box at a discount models just look around for the average low price, look at the shipping costs and discounts for buying more than one. I have one seller I like for my go to but it all depends on if they even have  what I'm looking for. I've only had a few bad experiences with Ebay sellers or discount stores, 2 of them I don't use anymore.  some times paying for shipping is worth the trouble, one seller shipped one of the two models and the second was shipped 3 weeks later. Not worth it at all. There is a trend of sellers listing a quantity of items they do not have on hand. be watchful of that. PM them and ask if they have them in stock, this will save some trouble. 
Same kind of problem from another seller. I ordered from their Ebay store and had no problems I went to their web site and placed another order which again took more than a month to fill. I could have called and asked, should have. 
But it's not all bad!  l Don't bit until the last 2 minuets or less! If I'm trying to actually win an auction.

Don't forget to do the math on a buy it now price, Could be good!

• Badfang Brassaxe and Giganotosaurus like this

Kick me! to see da blog! WWWAAAAAAUGH!!!

Takein' yer place at da top uv da Heap!

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,564 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd

I wish that you couldn't disable the question/comment field when you post an auction. It would be so cool :lol  to be able to call people out :soap on some of the crap :puke they're trying to sell.  I've found doing a "lot" search or "job lot" wield decent results.  With these the seller knows its mostly junk but puts enough of it in make the price seem worth while. 

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this
"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,746 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Know what you mean Zag, a few items I've seen today made me think 'you WOT?' - GW sell the boyz mob kit for £18 in the UK, some clown has got a BNIB boyz mob up for £28 (though it is free postage :lol )

Sorry warhead, computer skipped your post :blush  Yeah, occasionally you do get stuff like a Megadred the other day, really cruddy undercoat but £10 :eek Really tempted but I've already got three of the zoggers

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 238 posts
  • Army Name:Grumpy's Toys

Good to point out the shipping cost warhead. :yes I burnt myself  a couple times when I started buying on eBay before I learned to always add the cost of shipping. Also, some sellers offer a very tempting price only to gouge you with outrageous shipping costs. :nono I figure out what I am willing to pay for the item, subtract the shipping cost, and that's my max bid. I have only had one bad experience, and eBay took care of it for me.

Good thread Badfang! :thumbs

• warhead01 and Badfang Brassaxe like this

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,564 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd

Shipping in general on ebay has just become another revenue stream. You really gotta pay attention to that, especially when a seller doesn't combine shipping or worse make the shipping more that the auction/buy it price or worse yet more than the item is even worth.

• warhead01 and Giganotosaurus like this
"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 617 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
Oh man. I really wanna put up a picture of the rhino paperweight i got like 5 years back for $10. I call it a paperweight because the space wolves grey is caked on so thick, obscuring all detail, that that's all its good for. But I haven't set up a new image hosting account since the gray photobucket debacle, so y'all just hafta take my word for it.
"Parry the 6!"