Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Airborne Units Analysis

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

cheesytom1

cheesytom1

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 5 posts
  • Army Name:Supersonic Dakka

I'm going to go through what notes I've made on the ork airborne units and would appreciate discussion and feedback.

I'm building a list which includes at least five airplanes. I've converted three of these from non-GW model airplanes and they look really cool. However, I still want the list to be relatively good - able to stand up against other armies so that games are fun. Here's what I've discovered.

Dakka Jet

You're gona want to take six Supa Shootas with this - otherwise why are you even using the unit? 

That's 148 points, hitting on 4s (because you're not going to split your fire). 

18 shots means 9 hits at full strength and 6 hits at <50%. 

vs T4 beakie: 6 wounds, -1 AP: dealing an average damage of 3. (Not counting re-rolls).

vs T3 'umie: 8 wounds, -1AP: dealing an average damage of 7. 

Not bad. 

Blitza-Bommer

134 points. Here's its guns shooting at the same targets as the Dakka Jet:

Big shoota hitting with 1.5 on average; Supa shootas hitting with 2 on average.

vs T4 beakie: 1 wound from BS, 2 from SS, dealing an average damage of 1

vs T3 'umie: 1 wound from BS, 2 from SS, dealing an average damage of 3

Okay, so not so how with shooting. But its big bomb rolls a D6 for each model in a unit it flew over up to a maximum of 10 D6. On a 4+, that unit suffers a mortal wound. 

So you've basically got an extra mortal wounds regardless of the enemy's save value. Terminator shredder. 

So you can expect to dink a wound or two off a less well armoured squad, then put the pain on some valuable infantry, with the potential to roll really well and wipe a 5 man Termy squad in 1 turn. 

14 points cheaper than the Dakka Jet and more reliable. ALSO, it becomes useless after 2 turns of dropping bombs. If your opponent is sinking firepower into this thing, let them. Go ahead, it literally only has to survive two turns. I don't think this is a set back. If they ignore the Bommer then its free to deal damage. If they don't completely kill it, its main damage output (the bombs) don't become less effective, except for a shorter movement range. Can also effectively bomb monsters and vehicles (rolling 3 D6 for each in the unit). 

I'm taking three of these in my airborne division.

Burna-Bommer

Shoots a little better than the Blitza - with a Twin Big Shoota instead of just a Big Shoota. Can take Skorcha missiles which do nothing for 20 points. Explodes harder. Other than that, worse than the Blitza-Bommer in every way. Its bombs are far less effective. I don't see any reason to take this crap over the Blitza. I'm dissapointed that rules couldn't be written so that the Burna is a viable target for less well armoured infantry, and the Blitza for armoured targets. Maybe when the codex comes out. Otherwise, the Burna is embarrassingly bad.

Wazbom Blastjet

Sexy guns. Not going to go into the math, there's too many variables. It's a risky machine, but what isn't in the ork army?

Take 2 Supa Shootas. Why not.

Kustom Forcefield will keep your units a bit more safe if you don't get turn 1.

I'm planning on taking 2, one with Wazbom Mega-kannons to whittle targets down, then the second with Teleport Mega-Blasta to attempt to finish them off with its (when you wound with this weapon, roll a D6, if the value equals or is greater than target's remaining wounds, target unit is destroyed).

So that's what I've discovered. Haven't actually played any games with this list yet, still building and painting it. 

Anyone that has experience with these units, please could you give me your opinion.

Thanks.

AnthonyS

AnthonyS

Ridin' Boar

• Boyz
  • 117 posts

The burna bomba is  good.  it gets a bonus to wound infantry with its bombs, so it hits as hard as the Bomba.  it also gets a twinlinked bigshoota (rather than just a shoota).  Also looks cool.

I'd take a burna over a bomba.

cheesytom1

cheesytom1

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 5 posts

The burna bomba is  good.  it gets a bonus to wound infantry with its bombs, so it hits as hard as the Bomba.  it also gets a twinlinked bigshoota (rather than just a shoota).  Also looks cool.

I'd take a burna over a bomba.

With the bonus, it is 4+ to wound infantry. 

Blitza wounds everything on a 4+ anyway. Not just Infantry, and also deals damage to vehicles and monsters. 

Burna is completely redundant. 

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 262 posts
  • Army Name:Dreg Boyz

I've always had great success with Dakka jet for the main reason it's one of the only kinda efficient model in the Ork army in terms of points. Lots of wounds, hard to hit and 4+ (I think GW thought it might be a beakie jet! :P )

Goreshrek

Goreshrek

Snotling

• Boyz
  • 129 posts
  • Army Name:BlooSkullz

I use both the blitza and the dakka jet. Love those mortal wounds. Combine with shooting, you can often force a morale test and the target is wiped out. 

I use the dakka to go after characters and command squads. Also forces your opponent to keep characters protected with a bodyguard that is effectively out of the game.

cheesytom1

cheesytom1

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 5 posts

Yeah, I've come around to the Dakka Jet. My updated loadout is:

2 Wazbom BLastjets (one of each cannon).

2 Blitza Bommers

1 Dakka Jet

Still absolutely no reason to take the Burna though... 

laughterofgods

laughterofgods

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,470 posts

Full disclosure, I have not played with any of the Ork flyers.  I thought they were hot garbage compared to the imperial flyers in 7th edition and I still think that now.  They are better than they were, but they still get mediocre guns at a crappy ballistic skill.  Add to that the fact that we can't get rerolls as many of the other armies can, and you have a recipe for well, hot garbage.