Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Games Workshop AGM

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 284 posts
  • Army Name:Dreg Boyz
Interesting topic here is the supposed GW AGM. It's all pretty basic apart from one part that suggests GW is trying to slow down traffic to 3rd party sites/ forums to push a controlled narrative. What you guys think of this and the other things on this AGM?

Link: https://www.reddit.c...ozo&sh=d9f730a3

toaae

toaae

Growler (pet squig)

• Grotz
  • 90 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAGH! Tortoof

...one part that suggests GW is trying to slow down traffic to 3rd party sites/ forums to push a controlled narrative."

They just mean they prefer if rumors and previews for upcoming releases was through them, as opposed to being leaks on 3rd parties, which is what BoLS was built on, since GW wouldn't tell us a thing until a week before a codex release. And frankly, I've been loving their drawn out previews on Warhammer Community. Much better than scrounging comment sections for juicy rumors and blurred photos.

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 4,809 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun

It's nothing new really. It is at least being openly stated. I found it far fishier when they were basically anti-forums/blogs etc but were never officially stated. I don't know if this is better, that GW are at least open about their intentions, but nevertheless the principle is still odious. Who does it benefit almost entirely whilst barely benefitting anyone else? GW, obviously. It's in their interests to set the agenda. I'm not sure why they're suggesting this as a new strategy, because they've been working towards that for years, deliberately burning bridges with independent sources of information and supply so that GW can increasingly become more and more direct.

Whilst it doesn't surprise me, it's foolish. It's pandering, above all, to complacency, which is what nearly destroyed their business last time. Forums and Blogs were instrumental in the application of criticism, and GW was forced to capitulate. It was a win win for everyone, and that includes GW. Overall, I'm not surprised to see GW adopt this stance, and most fanboys were pretty anti-forum already anyway. Whilst negativity can be a killjoy, I feel it's important to have. Especially given how needed it has been in GW's recent history. If GW can control its own press, and eliminate sources of criticism, I very much doubt they'll bother with the "on their best behaviour" act we are getting from them currently. Whilst self-interest and spreading a "happy vibe" could be laudible, in theory, they are self-serving and not pro-consumer. Generally speaking, especially given a certain jokeTM, I'm not entirely bothered about their concerns about negativity. Their potentially cavalier attitude to their own previous missteps is more concerning than anything a forum with anything less than skipping through fields with a lollypop type sensibilities.

Although personally, I found the bit about wanting to get more women/girls into the hobby more interesting, because I think this should be a priority and I'm glad to see it's being discussed. Whilst representing with more female models isn't a necessary thing for inclusion (I sometimes squirm a little at the potentially patronising undertones of, say, making Sisters plastic just to appeal to a female demographic - "Here's something for you girls to use!"), it can certainly be helpful, if not overdone. Certainly, for such diverse settings to be merely collections of sausage parties, it's nice to get more diversity. More diversity is always good, even for the sake of more nice models, let alone new people getting into the hobby. Whilst GW considering making enemies of forums (too late pals, you did that under Kirby) could be concerning, the fact that GW are discussing positive kinds of expansion rather than tiresome edicts of damage control, testy quips about not selling toys, and setting up obviously looming PR disasters, it's obvious quite how much things are looking up at the moment.

But yeah, seriously, anyone forget that GW were a corporate monolith for a minute? I hadn't. The former isn't news. But the latter? Let's get more ladies into the hobby. That can only enrich the community. It's happening anyway, so GW might as well cater for it more. One could argue they already are (making great models of anything) but it would be nice to see more enrichment of the ranges to include more difference. Although I doubt Orks will ever get Madboyz back...

• Blakkreaper and Giganotosaurus like this

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 216 posts
  • Army Name:Grumpy's Toys

I agree with you 100% Dim. Control with the intent to eliminate criticism, no matter how constructive/informative, benefits no one, and least of all the consumer. Odious is perhaps to kind a word for such Machiavellian behavior. I have another concern as well. That line about wanting to make gaming (with GW) more affordable sounds good, but then they go on to say that prices aren't dropping anytime soon. I'm in retail, and not anytime soon = never at all.

I find the desire to attract more persons of the female persuasion laudable, but they need to do more than just the Sisters of Battle. One of Reaper Miniatures big selling points is their wide variety of female figures. While anecdotal, the women at my LGS are always around the Reaper minis, and never around the GW minis. Reaper sells minis for RPG, GW will have to come up with female lines for skirmish/tactical games. Amazons, alien races where the females are the warriors, female warrior sects like the adeptus sororitus, etc.

Given GW's past, I look at all this with a jaundiced eye. I'll believe it when it happens, until then my hard earned money isn't heading GW's way.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 284 posts
Honestly, I find the idea that women only want female models kind of sexist. It's like gw saying "here you go boyz have a tank! And you little girl can have this doll". Although, I'd love to see some imperial gaurd female models! My girlfriend doesn't want to play because she doesn't like the idea of the game but likes the models but my friends girlfriend doesn't want to play because of the stigma of the community.

PhillyT

PhillyT

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 905 posts
  • Army Name:Dakka Ghulthrakka's Boyz
I don't see an issue with a company trying to control its own message. The community page has been successful so far because of the pace and volume of materialbthey are releasing. It's a good method and a win win.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wartrukk Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,690 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Trying to cut down 3rd party website traffic seems like the sort of thing that could bite them where the sun don't shine, sites like Da WAAAGH! wouldn't exist if not for the enthusiasm of the guys who set it up and the majority of the users. Complaining about 'negativity' without addressing any of the causes is not going to make it go away - there are hopeful signs that GW might be on the road to recovery and sites such as this represent free advertising for them, shutting them down rather than enrolling as a contributing member seems rather short sighted.

As for 'getting more women into the game', were they ever excluded? Ok, not many female models (except both shades of panzee) in the game but has wargaming in general ever been something that women get into? Will more female figures do anything to change that?

• warhead01 and Skumdreg like this

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 284 posts
I don't think the game was ever pushed to a male audience. Even the picture from the rule books would always show a mand and a women playing. Only thing I can think of is the gw sees this mythical image of GW shops being anti girl with a bunch of fat virgins sat about talking about how they hate women all day. XD I rarely go to gw shops and go to a private gaming store that is always full of both male and females but the few times I've been I've alway saw at least one women sat there painting. Maybe it's the grim dark universe they try to push... i've read some of those books from old gw and they're hormone fuelled nonsense. XD But that put me off not because I was a women (I'm obviously not a woman) but just because it felt like I was reading what an alien believes a human man should be like by watching old B movies mixed with war films. My girlfriend loves lord of the rings though (more than me) so I don't think the general universe would put women off...

The biggest thing I think putting women off could be the prices. A lot of us got into this hobby through family or friends but a woman is less likely to have other female friends in the hobby so if they were interested they would look at the prices and be put off without ever trying the game or having people persuade them. Mothers, in addition, would never spend a peny of the game while fathers would probably spend their spare cash. If I never joined this game with my friends I would have never have done it at all... they taught me how to get things cheaper through ebay and we worked the game out together. It's an interesting dilemma that would need some questionnaires to be answered to know the full truth.

warhead01

warhead01

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,063 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gor-Gak !

The biggest thing I think putting women off could be the prices

Why would you think that?

The one female gamer that I know, she's in the AoS and 40K league along with her husband, seems to like Khorne warriors and I'm not sure what else( just into Chaos as far as I know) I only know the one because I hardly get out there for games. I've played against other female gamers over the years at tournaments. I didn't know there was a stigma. As long as who ever is on the other side of the table seems cool then that's good enough, usually. 
I would think the stigma must be a thing for younger people. My group is full of people who know each other and have in one way or another been gaming together for a very very long time. Good people.  

I'm not really a fan of threads about what GW is doing or how much money they make or don't make.  They don't really know what we want and are just throwing stuff out there to see what happens. 
I don't think 40K needs an all female army subfaction like the Sisters of Battle. I would add them to another codex and some kind of bad ass elite units but not as troops. Maybe even more single model units or characters which, I would say, fits with the attitude in this current time line of "girl power". at first there would be complaints and then some one would point out that the cheesy and OP female units don't seem to be getting killed as quickly as "the men".  
I think that works well based on the trend of bad ass ladies in movies and other fiction.  
Either way Orks don't care, they all pull apart the same with chains and battle wagons. #Grotlivesmatter  #stupidhumiproblems  

That said I'd be all for a new faction to beat up on.  :choppa

• Badfang Brassaxe and Giganotosaurus like this

Kick me! to see da blog! WWWAAAAAAUGH!!!

Takein' yer place at da top uv da Heap!

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 216 posts
  • Army Name:Grumpy's Toys

My personal (anecdotal) observation in 40+ years of gaming has been that women tend to want female figures. That does not mean that they do not want to play with male figures at all, nor have women ever been excluded. Indeed quite the opposite, women have always been most welcome in the war gaming community. There are multiple reasons why people of all genders do not play war games. But making more female figures to attract /entice girls/women into the gaming community is not sexist, just a good business practice. Look at NASCAR, a hugely successful sporting enterprise. NASCAR saw women as an untapped fan base. They actively sought a female audience.  Today, women are a large percentage of the NASCAR fan community. This is reflected by the sponsors of the race teams; various household cleaning products, food products, and female centric stores. All in addition to the traditional male/auto oriented sponsors. Shrewd business sense in a sport noted for the extreme brand loyalty of its fan base. I see no difference between what NASCAR did, and what GW wants to do. IMHO that will necessitate increasing the amount of female figures that GW produces. Men and women are different (It made the cover of Time a few years back, who knew?  :lol ), and approach the same thing in a different manner. In general boys will want a tank and girls will want a doll, but there are tanks there for the girls to buy, and dolls for the boys so minded. Rather than being sexist, exclusionary, or divisive, it is actually the complete opposite. :soap

P.S. I would like to have more female figures as well.   :thumbs

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 284 posts
There is a mythical stigma that the majority of the people in the store look like those 90s pictures of fat nerds all huddled around in a dim room. That's what she believes anyway and I've heard a lot more people believe that. I even believed it for a long time until I got into the community. A lot of people are scared if they get into gaming like that they will end up surrounded by fat nerds.
And the money theory also comes from a few people I have asked to play the game who are female. They tell me they have to spend too much money on other things... but suppose that's most people. Only reason my girlfriend doesn't think that is because she's Asian so didn't even know warhammer existed until I got into it at university.

warhead01

warhead01

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,063 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gor-Gak !

Haha I didn't know that was a stigma. There are in fact a lot of fat gamers, like you've described! the trick to not being surrounded by them...don't stand in the middle! haha.  
Tragically, I feel like I'm fat and out of shape after being out of the army for going on 5 years now...and then I get out to the shop.... Then I feel a little less so.

It's funny though, most gamers are awkward and uncomfortable around people and more or less nice people although very passionate about their hobby. 

And we'll tell you all about it!
I've mostly gamed in "military towns" which brings in all kinds of people, kinda like a collage town.   I think it's about common ground and like minded people. 
I'd say new gamers have it a little easier now days than it used to be. Sure it's expensive but the 3rd part market is there, more models in circulation and loads at some form of discount. especially used models.  I'd have loved to have been able to buy things used and at lower prices when I first got started in this madness. 

Kick me! to see da blog! WWWAAAAAAUGH!!!

Takein' yer place at da top uv da Heap!

killercroc

killercroc

Periscope

• Boyz
  • 775 posts
  • Army Name:Da Iron Gitz

Of the whole 9-ish years I've been playing I've introduced as many friends to warhammer as possible, I got 5 of my guy friends into it but none of my female friends showed any interest. Some liked the models and how they looked painted but it never went any farther from that though I never asked why they didn't like it. As of the only 2 wargamers at the local store I've seen 1 played with her husband and they both went to college so both stopped showing up so nothing surprising there. The other is a friend from pathfinder group and she tried it but doesn't like the edgy grim-darkness and high gothic of everything in the game. As well as there was a little time of turmoil at the game store when some new D-bag guy came in the really loud "I've been playing warhammer since Rogue traders, I know people at the company, I build and paint better than everyone" types, a real asshole. He scarred of like 3 new gamers which really sucks.

As for fat gamers in a  basement, well I think our game group is half people who like food more than most things and half people who don't so that part holds true, as for the basement the store is slit in two, the ground floor is the actual store part and downstairs are the warhammer tables and tables they use for Magic tournaments, Flames of war, anything else people want to play. So that stereotype is a little true here, but nobody really bothers new people looking around the store so I'm not quite sure. Though, to be fair where I live it's a rural-ish city so most people like football, beer, rodeos and we have a lot of farmers and ranchers. So I'm sure that plays some part in the community being small.

Though I agree with most people more female gamers would be nice, shoot just more gamers in general would be good too. We've got like 2-3 new people playing since 8th which is pretty nice.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 284 posts
I k ow this won't be the case because humans are humans (gender doesn't make us any less chance of being dicks) but I feel fighting more women would be more fun. They might be less jerky about winning and actually play because they want a fun game rtaher than to stomp someone... although as I said... humans are humans...
  • warhead01 likes this