Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Warboss, a disappointment?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

toaae

toaae

Growler (pet squig)

• Grotz
  • 90 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAGH! Tortoof
If they drop the klaw's pricing, they'd also have to adjust the big choppa, otherwise it'll become pointless.

Also, I'd expect the klaw to still cost more than a power fist. Nobz have a higher strength and more base attacks than beakie sergeants.

PhillyT

PhillyT

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 903 posts
  • Army Name:Dakka Ghulthrakka's Boyz
They'll drop the cost to 12 in our codex I guarantee.

warhead01

warhead01

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,062 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gor-Gak !

For who, every character or Boss Nobs?

Kick me! to see da blog! WWWAAAAAAUGH!!!

Takein' yer place at da top uv da Heap!

killercroc

killercroc

Periscope

• Boyz
  • 773 posts
  • Army Name:Da Iron Gitz

I'll hold you to it  :thumbs

Gitkilla

Gitkilla

Grot Oiler

• Boyz
  • 162 posts
  • Army Name:Death Skulls

I just hope you will be able to give him cybork body again. Also 1 attack more wouldn't hurt.

• det likes this

Metal elitist & into game/level design.

orkdom

orkdom

Flash Git

• Deathskullz
  • 1,064 posts
  • Army Name:Da Krimzun Feendzz

Yeh, the real problem for them is just how easily they get krump'd. A sorry state which is not befitting of any Warboss. I still don't understand the switch for Cybork from a 5+ invulnerable over to... 6+ FNP. That was just bad, terrible nonsense, and yet it persists, and even seems to get worse somehow.

Right now I feel like Warbosses are important to have for the Waaagh!, but should never be too expensive or integral to your plan, because they just can't hack it as anything much other than a tool for speeding your army's way to assaults. And dropping the cost of the Klaw doesn't change that, it just means that in the event I make a list with 3pts to spare, I'll bump my boss's Big Choppa up to Klaw status and break out a different model.

Zhadsnark is pretty good but he always suffers the same fate: he's a terribly one-dimensional character who isn't very adept at surviving the only thing he's good for (combat). He has great damage potential, and that's about all you can say for him, because once he's in your opponent's face even 8 Wounds won't protect him, and 'Eavy Armour feels about the opposite of 'Ard when Plasma weapons, or Smites, or Primarchs are around. You treat Zhadnsark like the vicious Buzz-Saw-Missile that he is, which is fine and well and good, except then he dies.

So you're left with either keeping it cheap (I just run Kombi-Skorcha + Big Choppa, usually), or gun for Ghaz. Ghaz is a reasonable option, and obviously has good synergy with a certain style of Ork list.

I just cannot fathom what made them take regular invulnerable saves away from Orks. Maybe we could at least get back the Bonce?

The Universe is Orkdom.

QUOTE (Ork Codex 4th Edition)
Gork and Mork are divine powerhouses, deities so strong they are never truly defeated. They simply shrug off the attacks of other gods with a raucous laugh. Gork grins, bearing his long teeth, and lands a mighty blow on his adversary's head with a spiked club the size of a comet. Mork, the master of cunning, waits until his foe isn't looking before clobbering him with a low blow.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 282 posts
  • Army Name:Dreg Boyz
I think the hqs or even ork boyz in general need FNP naturally on them. The whole point of orks is you gun them down and they keep going. Oeks have been known to survive with barely any body parts left! Maybe change painboy to restore wounds without the mortal wound or bring back models.
  • Badfang Brassaxe likes this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wartrukk Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,688 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Do like that, a 'too fikk to know when dey're dedd' save fits right in with the existing fluff - after all, if they can survive a trip to the doks' surgery ;)

warhead01

warhead01

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,062 posts

What do you all like to do with you War Bosses? What do you fight? What's worked? What's wen't wrong? 

I didn't really think a War Boss cost very much now. Mine is ?99 points? that's nothing. 

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 282 posts
I honestly use mine just for fluff... shove him in with the boyz for the buf and to look cool. I often go more for style than effectiveness in some areas of warhammer.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wartrukk Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,688 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

For me, at least, I'm not looking for the sort of OP cheese bollox that seems to be de regueur for beeky primarchs - just a few relatively minor perks to make him a bit more survivable and distinctive. My own warboss has a 'kevlar koat' over 'evvy armour for a 3+/4+invulnerable save and a flakkaxe - flakka gun with a 'uge choppa nailed to it. It's only one model in the entire zoggin army :sowhat

• warhead01 likes this

orkdom

orkdom

Flash Git

• Deathskullz
  • 1,064 posts

I really just want 'Ard Boyz back as an upgrade. With the way cover works now, it's completely useless for a 6+ save, but a 4+ stands to actually mean something, and still isn't that special with the new AP system. For characters, they really need invulnerable saves. 6+ FNP is a joke I'm not interested in; been playing Iron Hands long enough to know how often rolling those dice works out!

One thing that might help is getting access to Relics. It's just the nature of the Indices that we're playing with less than a full deck right now, and we'll just have to roll with that until our book drops. For our characters, Relics will be a key upgrade.

@Warhead01: Is 99pts with a Kombi-Skorcha and Klaw? If I have a Banna Nob in my list, that's how I'll run the Boss; otherwise I just take a Big Choppa. I put him in a Big Trakk with some Nobs (similarly armed), fly that thing forward to torch some stuff, and when it's time for all the boys to run up and charge, I pop him out and move stuff to make sure everyone gets the benefit. Sometimes that means turn 1, usually turn 2.

The Universe is Orkdom.

Gork and Mork are divine powerhouses, deities so strong they are never truly defeated. They simply shrug off the attacks of other gods with a raucous laugh. Gork grins, bearing his long teeth, and lands a mighty blow on his adversary's head with a spiked club the size of a comet. Mork, the master of cunning, waits until his foe isn't looking before clobbering him with a low blow.

warhead01

warhead01

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,062 posts

@Warhead01: Is 99pts with a Kombi-Skorcha and Klaw? If I have a Banna Nob in my list, that's how I'll run the Boss; otherwise I just take a Big Choppa. I put him in a Big Trakk with some Nobs (similarly armed), fly that thing forward to torch some stuff, and when it's time for all the boys to run up and charge, I pop him out and move stuff to make sure everyone gets the benefit. Sometimes that means turn 1, usually turn 2.

Yep. He's never really done much after 4th edition so I don't rely on him at all. He's able to dish out a little but I wont throw him away either. I let him kill off anything that very wounded. GorGak won't risk his life if he doesn't have to. He's been riding around with burna boys and finishing off light vehicles or units down to their last few models. There's no reason I can see to challenge anything ard'. I just throw artillery and boys at that stuff, works well enough. 

I'll be trilled if we get more wargear and weapons options, I'd love a double kombi scorcha and a power klaw. Something cool like that. And that good oll' 5++ which I miss but so far hasn't really been important enough to cry over from my own games. 

Gitkilla

Gitkilla

Grot Oiler

• Boyz
  • 162 posts
  • Army Name:Death Skulls

With the current situation I would always go for a big mek over a warboss - unless I want to speed up a green tide and even then I have not tried usind 2 weird boys instead and let them jump. A kustom force field almost feels like a must have for an ork army right now imo.

Metal elitist & into game/level design.

toaae

toaae

Growler (pet squig)

• Grotz
  • 90 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAGH! Tortoof

With the current situation I would always go for a big mek over a warboss - unless I want to speed up a green tide and even then I have not tried usind 2 weird boys instead and let them jump. A kustom force field almost feels like a must have for an ork army right now imo.

I used a KFF to extend the life of my Trukks early game, and to provide saves to objective holders late game, but trying to cover a horde with KFF would just be miserable. I do run two weirdboys, but with matched play restrictions, da jump isn't a reliable way to get your whole hoard across into grips with their enemy. But the Warboss's WAAAGH!!! is a great ability, and I've found it useful many a time.

My most recent game, I didn't force my Warboss into combat as I have in the past, and in this way, he was of great use to me. I recall at least two instances where WAAAGH!!! gave me important charges I wouldn't have been able to make, and I passed an important morale test thanks to the smashing heads ability. To answer the question I posed in the OP, I'm now leaning towards a biker boss with just the big choppa, who can dart around and lend his buffs where needed.

• Gitkilla likes this

orkdom

orkdom

Flash Git

• Deathskullz
  • 1,064 posts

You really need all three, I think. The KFF is there to protect stuff the first couple turns, primarily vehicles but also such mobs as will fit under it's bubble (one can pretty easily fit 3 mobs and a few vehicles in range with proper space around the Mek); the Wyrdboyz (at least two, the more the better right now) Warpath + Jump a unit; the Boss hops out of his transport and runs upfield so a couple other mobs can get into charge range as well (dependant on deployment; I've managed to get over 5 units into combat top of turn one on a couple occasions, but it only works on a few of the deployment maps, and relies on your opponent setting up close enough, and so on).

The Universe is Orkdom.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 282 posts

You really need all three, I think. The KFF is there to protect stuff the first couple turns, primarily vehicles but also such mobs as will fit under it's bubble (one can pretty easily fit 3 mobs and a few vehicles in range with proper space around the Mek); the Wyrdboyz (at least two, the more the better right now) Warpath + Jump a unit; the Boss hops out of his transport and runs upfield so a couple other mobs can get into charge range as well (dependant on deployment; I've managed to get over 5 units into combat top of turn one on a couple occasions, but it only works on a few of the deployment maps, and relies on your opponent setting up close enough, and so on).

But warboss can't get out of deployment unless iy is the start of the movement phase before the trukk has moved. Or do you mean this?