Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Warboss, a disappointment?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

toaae

toaae

Snotling

• Boyz
  • 120 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAGH! Tortoof

Does anyone else feel like the Warboss just can't punch at his weight?

I've run a warboss in every game I've played of 8th. The first several games he was on foot, but in my league, I've been using a biker boss. And I have been disappointed every time he has gotten to grips with the enemy. Four attacks just seems too few, and using a regular power klaw is anti-climatic. Sure, he is strength twelve, but that doesn't mean much except against T6 models. The variable damage is a real killer, though the -1 to hit isn't great either. The attack squig is a cool addition, but you're not expecting it to achieve much.

In the end, I'm always feeling like I should just be using him for his aura buffs, the WAAAGH! and morale control. Because when something needs to be punched, he just doesn't give me enough. Now, I'm sure when we get our codex, we'll get a cool relic that will turn a warboss into a monster, but until then, should I relegate him to empowering da boyz?

Has anyone had success with the warboss?

IronShark

IronShark

Dreadsock Enforcer

• Nobz
  • 4,367 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAGH Morgrim!

Yeah, it seems cheap and cheerful bosses are the way to go. They're kind of squishy with just a 4+ save. 

The advance/charge boost can be pretty significant, and with a big choppa they can still threaten basic infantry, so they're not terrible. They're just not going to bowl over elites in HTH. Looks like if you want a Boss that can actually rumble in Combat, you need Gaz. 

• Blakkreaper likes this
Being a winner is easy if your definition of victory is flexible enough.

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 4,851 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun
They seem pretty effective if they're amidst Hordes of Boyz, but a lot of my local Ork Players are using Ghaz if they want something tougher and killier.

At least we don't have an oversaturated HQ issue this time, but we certainly need something to make our Warbosses beasts. Relics will help, and some Command Abilities. Still I agree, I'd like the Warboss' PK to be a bit gnarlier. Isn't a Power Sword D3 damage on most characters?

warhead01

warhead01

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,117 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gor-Gak !

I'm undecided still.  But I think I've only used my Warboss a few times so far. I've never been into having him do anything beyond fighting vehicles. He's survived every games this edition so far. Don't forget to take the warlord trait that ignores wounds taken on a 6. I think a big choppa or a choppa might be better for him than a power klaw. Just depends on what's going on. I still prefer not to fight a fresh opponent. 

Kick me! to see da blog! WWWAAAAAAUGH!!!

Takein' yer place at da top uv da Heap!

killercroc

killercroc

Periscope

• Boyz
  • 789 posts
  • Army Name:Da Iron Gitz

Honestly I think the warboss is pretty solid. I always ran a standard PK, Twin shoota, 'eavy armour, Bosspole warboss so I don't see any change from this edition to last. Though after looking at the Bikerboss stats I want one of those, they're downright quik n' killy as they should be. As for Megaboss, just use ghazzie really, he's better in almost every way.

Though to be fair my warboss only usually gets in 1-2 fights a game so I like to keep them cheap and use their aura buff for him and his nobz, painboy, mek etc. You can try to buff a few units of boyz too but using it as a local effect works better I think. Unless you build lots of bare bones bosses and put 1 per 3 trukker boy units or something, they're cheap enough. 

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 374 posts
  • Army Name:Dreg Boyz
Because my clan revolves around myown lore and warboss Skumdreg I don't want to use Ghaz so do wish there were more options for my warboss. Maybe have enough bonuses to keep him cheap if you just want a 4+ mega choppa but enough options for a more expensive 4 or 5+ Invulnerable heavy pk death machine! (Cyborg parts maybe).

PhillyT

PhillyT

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 973 posts
  • Army Name:Dakka Ghulthrakka's Boyz

I'm up around 20 games with orks and never once have I NOT wished I'd just gone with a Big Mek carrying a KFF.  We get enough offense from nobz with PK in mobz who cannot be dug out as opposed to the all too easy to kill war bosses.

StormGuard

StormGuard

Bag Squig

• Boyz
  • 102 posts

I've tried out both a Warboss on foot and one on a Bike, and have to say I prefer to field the Warboss on Warbike, as with Toughness, and Basic Strength at Six(6), and Wounds: 7, he can really kick ass if you can get him into the fray.

At the moment, I plan on using my Warboss on bike to back up my Deff  Kopta's, so as to keep them in the fray longer, as my Deff Kopta's did well the last time I used them, and having a Warboss backing them up can only make them more killy. :D

Onwards and Upwards.

SG.

Demo Charges 101:  Pull Pin, Throw, Run Away Very Fast.

toaae

toaae

Snotling

• Boyz
  • 120 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAGH! Tortoof

Isn't a Power Sword D3 damage on most characters?

I don't know about any relics, but all the basic power weapons are just 1 damage.

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 4,851 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun

I don't know about any relics, but all the basic power weapons are just 1 damage.

I play AoS too much, I'm starting to look at D3 as the default for characters. Well that's something I guess. I suppose the consistency of it on other units is a good thing. I imagine there'll be a nice Power Klaw relic or two when we finally get our Codex. Although I'm tempted to hope for more defensive buffs. Our characters are much easier to kill than some others, especially since Toughness 5 isn't what it was.

• laughterofgods likes this

lachlin

lachlin

Stormboy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,370 posts
Yeah, that dude sucks. Hes only good to buff mobs of boyz.
Da footure iz green!

Goreshrek

Goreshrek

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 137 posts
  • Army Name:BlooSkullz

I am pretty much just using mine for the buffs to the boyz, and to pile into combats. If you go Biker Boss, take Zhadsnark, he is much better for just a few extra points. No -1 to hit with his power klaw. 

But a big mek on bike with killsaw is probably better than a warboss. 

AnthonyS

AnthonyS

Grot Slave

• Boyz
  • 141 posts

My warboss is just there for buffs.  I've not seen any characters in any faction do well, other than provide buffs.  They just get isolated and mobbed when they are too far forwards.

PhillyT

PhillyT

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 973 posts
Kharn can saw through whole units. My Pedro Kantor can put a hit on units with his vanguard squad as well. The Swarmlord is a butcher.

Codex will help the warboss.

Dribble Joy

Dribble Joy

Skitzo

• Bad Moonz
  • 2,378 posts
  • Army Name:Nuggruz's Iron Klads.

Isn't a Power Sword D3 damage on most characters?

Nope.

All the beakie power weapons are Dmg 1 except for the master crafted sword (Dmg 2) the power fist (Dmg D3) and the relic blade (Dmg D3). The last two are 20 and 21 pts respectively, but then they're for Str 4 models.

PhillyT

PhillyT

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 973 posts
Power fist is only 12 points now.
  • Skumdreg likes this

killercroc

killercroc

Periscope

• Boyz
  • 789 posts

Then why tin the name that is Gork, Mork, and chaos fuckery do we pay 25 points for a klaw?

laughterofgods

laughterofgods

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,481 posts

Then why tin the name that is Gork, Mork, and chaos fuckery do we pay 25 points for a klaw?

The S4 armies all paid 25 points in the indexes.  The more recent books have lowered the price for the Klaw/Fist option.

warhead01

warhead01

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,117 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gor-Gak !

Because we're Orks? 

Kick me! to see da blog! WWWAAAAAAUGH!!!

Takein' yer place at da top uv da Heap!

killercroc

killercroc

Periscope

• Boyz
  • 789 posts

I'm hoping they do lower the cost to 12, a 13 point difference is 2 boys or points towards another nob, honestly after they dropped power weapons to 10 points or less 25 for a klaw made no sense, but we always paid that so not a huge deal. I looked at it as the nob was free which use to be 10 points so realistically the klaw only costed 15 points... but still not really.