Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Battle for Salvation GT List

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

orkdom

orkdom

Flash Git

• Deathskullz
  • 1,064 posts
  • Army Name:Da Krimzun Feendzz

Hey Ladzz,

I'm still hoping that at some point here I will find time and energy enough to do a proper report on what happened to my horde at NOVA (they performed admirably until they were captured by a school of Fish'eadz and then set loose in some sick training exercise for a Ta'unar.... Bad way to go!), but in the meantime I have another local tournament this weekend and I'm trying to get together a list for my next GT, Battle for Salvation in New York next month.

They're pretty much the same as other ITC events, with two big changes from NOVA: No units of Power Level 32 or higher (which means no Ta'unar, praise Bork!), and they've stated that all Forge World units will be considered 0-1 per Detachment. So I have to do this odd thing where I split my Big Trakkz into separate detachments to make my NOVA list work. I don't really need to change anything material, just shuffle units around some, and then I'm basically ready to rock.

So, some quick notes on my NOVA experience and how it affects this new version of the same list:

1) I had a lot of trouble killing T7 transports such as Wave Serpents and Razorbacks. I played against the same Grey Knight Razorback spam player twice, and played against two Ynnari lists, and I found myself forced to focus nearly my entire army on a single tank a turn, which is a great recipe for getting beat up badly as I simply cannot keep pace with returning firepower. I managed to table both Panzee lists, but I got tabled twice by Razorbacks, and really felt my list was lacking in "anti-Razorback" options.

2) The Morkanaut died immediately in every single game. That's all it was good for: soaking up shots on turn 1. It's too big to really hide anywhere, taller even than all the big LoS-blocking stuff in the middle of NOVA boards, and it realistically only ever has that 5++ to work with; you fail just one against a Lascannon shot and suddenly you're down 5 wounds. I've been consistently unimpressed by 'nauts every game I play in 8th, but I don't own a Meka Dread so I kept this one in for the KFF and it was just way too much to pay for what little it provided.

To these ends, cut the Mork from my NOVA list and swapped the Burnas for Tankbustas, amongst some other adjustments. Below now is the list; comments and advice are greatly appreciated!

ORK BATTALION DETACHMENT

HQ: Wyrdboy (Da Jump) = 62

HQ: Wyrdboy (Warpath) = 62

Troops: 27 Slugga Boyz + Nob = 168

Troops: 27 Slugga Boyz + Nob = 168

Troops: 19 Shoota Boyz + Nob = 120

HS: Big Trakk (2 Skorchaz) = 169

Detachment Total: 811pts

ORK SPEARHEAD DETACHMENT

HQ: Big Mek on Bike (KFF, Kombi-Skorcha) = 120

HS: Big Trakk (Soopa Skorcha) = 163

HS: 2 Mek Guns (KMK) + 10 Krew = 96

Detachment Total: 475pts

ORK VANGUARD DETACHMENT

HQ: Warboss ( Warlord, Attack Squig, Kombi-Skorcha, Power Klaw) = 99

Elites: Banna Nob (WAAAGH! Banna, Kustom Shoota) = 79

Elites: 4 Nobz (Kombi-Skorchas, Choppas) + Boss Nob (Kombi-Skorcha, Powa Stabba) = 183

Elites: 4 Tankbustaz (Rokkits) + Nob (Rokkit) + Bomm Squig = 95

Elites: 4 Tankbustaz (Rokkits) + Nob (Rokkit) + Bomm Squig = 95

Detachment Total: 714pts

Army Total = 2,000pts

Power Level = 117

Command Points = 8

Unit Count = 23

Deployment Drops = 9

The Universe is Orkdom.

QUOTE (Ork Codex 4th Edition)
Gork and Mork are divine powerhouses, deities so strong they are never truly defeated. They simply shrug off the attacks of other gods with a raucous laugh. Gork grins, bearing his long teeth, and lands a mighty blow on his adversary's head with a spiked club the size of a comet. Mork, the master of cunning, waits until his foe isn't looking before clobbering him with a low blow.

greggles

greggles

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,487 posts
  • Army Name:Trust in Rust

Sorry to hear about old morky.  Hoping they get a pretty sizable points drop in Chapter approved.  Of course they still murder face if they get into CC...but really need some sort of extra layer of surviability.  Way too easy to take them out if you run into dark panzee for example.  I lucked out, and even my fish'ead opponents couldn't get past my "ridiculous" rolling 5+'s.  I think I saved 18 times on the KFF in my final game vs fish'ead....then basically blew up the stormsurge with rokkit's hahaha.

Have you ever thought about taking zhardsnark instead of a standard warboss? He was a standout star in almost all my games.  His speed combined with the 2+ PK that does mortal wounds always did amazing work.  And being on a bike, he could position himself to make sure whatever unit of boyz needed buffing had it.  (don't have to worry about character strings then).  Being T6 was also a god send.  Hard to find those extra 40 points though.

Weirdboyz will do work.  Had you taken one more, I would have pointed out that the "unofficial" grapevine has smite being limited to a max of 3 a turn (thank goodness), coming soon in a faq or Chapter approved.

orkdom

orkdom

Flash Git

• Deathskullz
  • 1,064 posts

Yeah, my save rolls were never really good enough to help the Mork out. There was one game against panzee with 4 Warp Hunters where I made all the saves against the second Hunter's shots on the first turn. Basically all that meant was I didn't lose both the Mork and two Big Trakks on Turn one, though, haha. The first Warp Hunter had already ripped 13 Wounds off the Mork so of course Hunter's 3 + 4 were still able to take him out!

I love Zhadsnark, actually, and use him all the time, but I haven't felt like he fit the list  as well as the regular guy. Plus, I've started growing attached to my footslogging boss model since I've been using him, hehe. But it's actually not a hard swap right now, only 23pts. So I could cut the Slugga mobs down to 26 each instead of 28, and there we go.

Do I need the Banna Nob without a Klaw Boss to boost, do you think? I could drop him for some Burna Boyz then, as I'll have a point left over, or make room for more Tankbustas.

Heard about the Smite limit, and thank Gork for that. Of course, no army will be able to field more than 3 Malefic Lords at BfS either, so that nonsense is out. Only Guard (and other Orks!) will be a problem on that front.

• greggles likes this

The Universe is Orkdom.

Gork and Mork are divine powerhouses, deities so strong they are never truly defeated. They simply shrug off the attacks of other gods with a raucous laugh. Gork grins, bearing his long teeth, and lands a mighty blow on his adversary's head with a spiked club the size of a comet. Mork, the master of cunning, waits until his foe isn't looking before clobbering him with a low blow.

greggles

greggles

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,487 posts

The waaagh banner is just so strong.  When boyz hit on 2's, they do some serious damage.  I think the banner should always be in pretty much every list.  Heck, I even run one to buff my killa kans in my dread mob list!

• orkdom likes this

orkdom

orkdom

Flash Git

• Deathskullz
  • 1,064 posts

Okay, I do like him a lot. Maybe I'll use my foot-boss model as the Banna Nob so I can still watch him strut around the board.... hah. And yeah, any time I play Kans, a Banna is the most necessary thing on the planet. 5+ to hit really hurts them.

The Universe is Orkdom.

greggles

greggles

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,487 posts

I've actually started experimenting with dropping the kans from the walker list, and utilizing the rokkit buggies instead.  Similar stat line, weaker in combat, similar ability to hit (2 rokkit shots at 5+ instead of 1 at 4+), but they move 15 and can outflank, which is REALLLLLLLY nice.

AnthonyS

AnthonyS

Snotling

• Boyz
  • 121 posts

I've actually started experimenting with dropping the kans from the walker list, and utilizing the rokkit buggies instead.  Similar stat line, weaker in combat, similar ability to hit (2 rokkit shots at 5+ instead of 1 at 4+), but they move 15 and can outflank, which is REALLLLLLLY nice.

You pay an awful lot of points for a weapon that hits on a 5+.  Plus you lose the combat ability of the kans.  Plus there are no models for them.  

The outflank is good but i'm just not sure an opponent would consider them a threat, apart from late game objective grabbers.

greggles

greggles

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,487 posts

They won us a game vs fish'ead and nids.  I used them to assault a massive line of termagaunts (90) which were about to charge into the front line of my team mates guard.  It pulled them back, and allowed the guard player to reposition.  Also put 9 points of damage on a stormsurge.

Ya they are over costed, but I was surprised both by their surviability and punch.  (i use the warzone model)

orkdom

orkdom

Flash Git

• Deathskullz
  • 1,064 posts

The Buggies have their issues, but actually, if I consider that most of the Kans I take will never actually get to fight in an assault, heck, might as well take twice the shots! As long as it's Kans to which we compare Buggies, they seem like they have some potential. Both units will need some work to be truly good come Codex-release.

The Universe is Orkdom.

AnthonyS

AnthonyS

Snotling

• Boyz
  • 121 posts
Since posting I'm coming around to the idea. A few cheap, fast distractors would be useful. Like my old fantasy Orc army

greggles

greggles

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,487 posts

I honestly didn't think anything of it (I run a dread mob)...but having three seperate buggies that need to be independently killed really really drove my opponents nuts.  In one game, the three buggies did nothing but keep a heldrake busy for the entire game, keeping him from bogging down my other units (or annihilating them!) .

laughterofgods

laughterofgods

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,470 posts

I've actually been thinking about adding Kanz to my dread mob army, but not in place of the kanz, but in addition to them.  I had been using some units of boyz, but I think going no boyz and all T5 or better might have some play.

greggles

greggles

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,487 posts

I found the most effective dreadmob list used boyz as a screen for the dreads.  It was annoying to play though.  I'd rather run just dreads and enjoy the fun of lots of big stompy things. (even if it is less effective)

orkdom

orkdom

Flash Git

• Deathskullz
  • 1,064 posts

Okay, so I got a practice match in against Blood Angels (Dom, your opponent from NOVA, Greggles) last week, and Saturday I played in a local RTT against Tin'eads, Wolf Beakiez, and finally against another Ork player at the top table!

I learned a lot about the list, especially in that final game. The other Ork player was one Bill Souza, a very good player who travels around to a lot of different events, though I think he likes Sigmar more these days. Our lists were pretty similar, but he had more Wyrdboyz and more bodies while I had put more points in support units. His list, from memory, went something like:

Zhadsnark

KFF Mek

5 Wyrdboyz

4 Bikernobs (Big Choppas, Kustom Shootas)

3x30 Slugga Boyz

30 Stormboyz

2 Soopa Skorcha Big Trakks

5 KMK

Going into the third round, he had 63 of a possible 64pts, to my 61. Orks in first and second! Hasn't happened in a good many years around here. And, of course, the BCP App happened to put us on a board with plenty of Orky theme to it:

eg49hwi.jpg

Neither of us had played against another Ork player yet in this new edition, so it was very interesting to see how differently we employed some of the same units. The best trick I learned from him was using most of the Mek Gun's Gretchin Krew as a screen against enemy charges. Really neuters first turn assaults, making armies like Genestealer Cult just about useless against Orks! I haven't played against many armies that like to assault, honestly, so I hadn't considered them for that purpose. Glad to see some Orks in action, it was a great learning experience.

He beat me pretty handily. Ork on Ork matches can frequently turn into a little game of chicken, but I Seized on him and just went for broke, skipping the whole "who wants to wander into enemy charge range first" question and... failing to get into combat whatsoever. Now, mind, even if I had, it would have been primarily against the Grot Krew; in the moment after the Seize, at the end of the day, I was a little too Ork'd up and just declared my master plan to be "Why don't we just all charge 'em?" in your stereotypical Orkish failure to consider the enemy position. He got the jump on me then, and when Orks get charged by other Orks, Orks get killed! I immediately had to switch gears and just accept a loss on the Primary objectives, running around instead trying to rack up points on Secondary/Maelstrom and Bonuses.

All of that went well enough: there was actually a nice gap between us Ork players and the rest of the field, so even though I lost pretty quickly, the points I had managed to accrue netted me 3rd place overall at the event! A pretty good showing in the end, and I'm not ashamed to lose to Bill at all, he's an excellent player and it was a very wild, entertaining match. Afterwards we went to a bar and split a couple pitchers.  :cheers 

---------- ---------- ----------

Now, onto list adjustments!

The two things that really gave Bill an advantage over me were his overall numbers (120 to 70 on Boyz-count is a significant gap) and his Smites. There may be a FAQ limiting or changing Smite in some way coming soon, and thank Gork for that if it does happen, but it isn't here yet, and 4-5 Smites a turn with +5/6 to cast was really brutal. There isn't really any more efficient way to put wounds on things if you can get in range. He puts all the Wyrdboyz together in a Big Trakk, and he just drops them off and runs them forward behind the Grot Krew screen, keeping them safe from enemy shooting. He'll throw one power a turn into Jump or Warpath as needed, and he's got the bodies to keep a solid +4 bonus going even will throwing 3 massive mobs down your throat to keep you busy while the Smites just delete stuff.

I'm not surprised to see that lots of Wyrdboyz + lots of bodies is good (actually I wish it weren't, as I really don't want to do that sort of list!), but I hadn't ever really watched it work, and it was certainly some sort of convincing.

Things I had but really didn't seem to need: the Banna Nob, Bomm Squigs, the Klaw on the Big Mek. None of that stuff ever mattered.

Zhadsnark died every single game and in all the games I've used him I've only rolled a single '6' to Hit, which is really getting disappointing! He's a big Orky Missile that just flies up field and blows something up, but then he dies immediately because he's an Ork and Orks aren't allowed to have good saves. I'll probably still keep him because I think he has great potential, and I love the model I use for him, and he's still tougher than any other Ork out there besides Ghaz.

Cutting the Nob, Squigs, and Mek's Klaw, I immediately have enough for another mob of 20 Boyz, or pump my current mobs to 30 each, so I may look to add that in. I'm also thinking about a 4th Wyrdboy, if I can find space for it, but I'm not too sure where or how.

Probably I'll come up with something in a bit and post the new list for comments. In the meantime, if anyone has any ideas about where to trim, let me know.

The Universe is Orkdom.

orkdom

orkdom

Flash Git

• Deathskullz
  • 1,064 posts

Okay, so here's a slightly modified list, just throwing in a 4th Wyrdboy and some extra bodies for minor cuts elsewhere.

ORK BATTALION DETACHMENT

Troops: 29 Slugga Boyz + Nob = 180

Troops: 29 Slugga Boyz + Nob = 180

Troops: 24 Shoota Boyz + Nob = 150

Detachment Total: 859pts

ORK SPEARHEAD DETACHMENT

HQ: Big Mek (KFF, Kombi-Skorcha, Grot Oiler) = 98

HS: Big Trakk (2 Skorchaz) = 169

Detachment Total: 521pts

ORK VANGUARD DETACHMENT

HQ: Zhadsnark da Rippa = 122

Elites: 4 Nobz (Kombi-Skorchas, Choppas) + Boss Nob (Shoota, Choppa, Ammo Runt) = 165

Elites: 4 Tankbustaz (Rokkits) + Nob (Rokkit) = 85

Elites: 4 Tankbustaz (Rokkits) + Nob (Rokkit) = 85

Detachment Total: 608pts

Army Total = 2,000pts

Power Level = 123

Command Points = 8

Unit Count = 23

Deployment Drops = 9

The Universe is Orkdom.

Gitkilla

Gitkilla

Grot Oiler

• Boyz
  • 166 posts
  • Army Name:Death Skulls

1) I had a lot of trouble killing T7 transports such as Wave Serpents and Razorbacks. I played against the same Grey Knight Razorback spam player twice, and played against two Ynnari lists, and I found myself forced to focus nearly my entire army on a single tank a turn, which is a great recipe for getting beat up badly as I simply cannot keep pace with returning firepower. I managed to table both Panzee lists, but I got tabled twice by Razorbacks, and really felt my list was lacking in "anti-Razorback" options.

Are we talking 20 Razorbacks with twin assault cannons here? Because that fits into 2k points perfectly.

Metal elitist & into game/level design.

orkdom

orkdom

Flash Git

• Deathskullz
  • 1,064 posts

No, since that's not a legal list. This is Matched Play, using the ITC FAQ, as stated in the original post.

The Universe is Orkdom.