Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Remember when GW said...

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
78 replies to this topic

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 264 posts
  • Army Name:Dreg Boyz
Remember when GW said they were putting points in the back of the index so they could publish digital patches and balance the game more rapidly? and also remember when they said the didn't just put them there to push power levels down our throats? How well did that turn out because I don't know about you guys but my Orks cost the same points as they did at the start of the index and without battle scribe I'd have given up counting points on the go... Please, do share more of "remember when gw said..." stories.

greggles

greggles

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,487 posts
  • Army Name:Trust in Rust

They have been patching and updating the faqs regularly.  The major points re balancing is coming with the release of chapter approved, which also includes all the FW indexes.  (coming out shortly).  We should see a new faq based on nova come up end of this week [assume it will be addressing smite spam], or early next (after the big deathguard push).

Considering GW's pace in previous years, this is bullet train speed compared to years of snail movement.

The main movement I see GW doing currently is addressing broken or overpowered combinations.  They use the codex and chapter approved to address army wide re balancing.  You don't really want GW to turn an eye at your army for a FAQ, it will "almost always" be a nerf.

toaae

toaae

Flesh Eater Squig

• Grotz
  • 87 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAGH! Tortoof

I don't remember them saying that. I remember that being many players reasoning for why the points were separate than the army list, but I don't remember any GW source confirming that theory. It's reasonable; I'd expect to see similar tables in the Chapter Approved for any changes. Furthermore, I have no issue in any way writing an army list with points, wherever they may be located.

Did you expect them to massively adjust the index lists within months of release? What do you think is so overcosted that you want to see adjustments that can't wait for our codex? Sorry, it just seems to be another thread to whine about nothing.

Nachgal

Nachgal

Loota Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,191 posts

Considering it's a brand new edition that basically re-booted the game, and GW probably is quite busy ironing out any bugs that are popping up, I doubt fixing point costs for anything that's not game breaking is their top priority at the moment. And well, I would not blame them for that. 

Eldrad killcount: 1

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 264 posts
Because I'm sick of girly man wiping my ass every Wednesday at the club and I like whining (it's the only way I can stay sane with this game :P ). Nothing wrong with a good whine... But seriously, the codex for Beakies and Chaos basically nullified the reasons for an index in my mind. Plus there should have been a team for every faction in helping to balance points. I see 40k now like a video game, it should be patched monthly with points balance as well as rule balance for each faction. Would keep the game fresh and also probably help drive sales. On this note, what we all think of the new Death Guard units and their price point. I hear in some countries the plague beakie prime dude is like $170. That's a stark contrast to pappa smurf's price. Makes me worried for any new units Orks might get.

greggles

greggles

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,487 posts

I think things are looking good and I'd stop worrying about them.  I'd just ask your buddy if he would consider trying a list without gulliman in it vs you. Otherwise, always remember he can be directly targeted.  Throw enough dakka at him, and he'll fall.  What type of list are you running? Perhaps a more useful thread would be to list your opponents list, and yours in the army roster section and ask for advice.

Chapter approved is coming, but don't expect everything to be all roses for orks.  Updates swing both directions.  I forsee things like mega nobz and walkers getting point drops.  Stormboyz getting a bump up. Mek guns getting a points bump.  All the FW index stuff getting a bump. Keyword changes to certain units, etc.  You can see the pattern pretty clearly.  If something is very good in the codex and being used a lot, it tends to become more expensive.  If its hardly being used, it tends to get a points/wargear adjustment.

Keep in mind you can email gw directly (as in the other thread), and GW is also attending events now.  The GW Rules and design team were at Nova, and you could have a chat with them if you wanted! I got to talk to pete foley for awhile, and let me tell you, they are listening to EVERYTHING.

Seriously, not making this up.

https://www.flickr.c...en/36322125604/

(That's me shaking pete's hand after winning best painted army in 40k narrative).

It also helps that a huge % of the playtesters for GW official are ALL ORK PLAYERS.

PhillyT

PhillyT

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 901 posts
  • Army Name:Dakka Ghulthrakka's Boyz

They've already adjusted points on more than a few units.  I adore how quickly they are responding to questions and issues.  It is a breath of fresh air!

• greggles likes this

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 264 posts

I think things are looking good and I'd stop worrying about them.  I'd just ask your buddy if he would consider trying a list without gulliman in it vs you. Otherwise, always remember he can be directly targeted.  Throw enough dakka at him, and he'll fall.  What type of list are you running? Perhaps a more useful thread would be to list your opponents list, and yours in the army roster section and ask for advice.

Chapter approved is coming, but don't expect everything to be all roses for orks.  Updates swing both directions.  I forsee things like mega nobz and walkers getting point drops.  Stormboyz getting a bump up. Mek guns getting a points bump.  All the FW index stuff getting a bump. Keyword changes to certain units, etc.  You can see the pattern pretty clearly.  If something is very good in the codex and being used a lot, it tends to become more expensive.  If its hardly being used, it tends to get a points/wargear adjustment.

Keep in mind you can email gw directly (as in the other thread), and GW is also attending events now.  The GW Rules and design team were at Nova, and you could have a chat with them if you wanted! I got to talk to pete foley for awhile, and let me tell you, they are listening to EVERYTHING.

Seriously, not making this up.

https://www.flickr.c...en/36322125604/

(That's me shaking pete's hand after winning best painted army in 40k narrative).

It also helps that a huge % of the playtesters for GW official are ALL ORK PLAYERS.

Dude, tell them to make my Morkanaut good again! (well i say again... I just mead good). I think people don't understand why I make threads like these. I enjoy playing the devils advocate and just to generate debate and people opinions... keeps the forums active and has generated so really good ideas on rules and stuff in the past. Please don't take any offence when i post these kind of threads. But also, a part of my miss trusts GW... still does... I feel like they're out smarting me in some way and just making me think they're doing the right thing. Did they tell you anything about orks while there? 

PhillyT

PhillyT

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 901 posts
What do you mean make the morkanaut good again? It's better than it ever was in 7th and is a great choice currently under 8th.

Was there a FAQ or errata concerning the morkanaut I'm not aware of?

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 264 posts

For me it has literally been a waste of 370pts in every game... it hardly does anything, haven't hit a single shot with its gun yet, and I can't get it into CC without it dying first.... Maybe it's just me... 

greggles

greggles

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,487 posts

The Mork and Gork are overcosted and will most likely see point adjustments.  You'll have to wait for chapter approved, and then the ork codex for that.  (first adjustment will be chapter approved, second will be the ork codex).

I find the mork rather meh, because the strength of the walkers is in their CC ,and the gork having base 6 attacks really dims the mork.  Only reason to take a mork is if you are too low on points to put big meks with kff's on bikes and baby sit the gorks.  (repairing D3 wounds a turn).

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 264 posts

Oh man, let's not get into the Nauts again... we already had a full thread on that topic... But yes... many things need changing and it's taking a while... So this "chapter approved" thingy. Is it an electronic thing or something I have to buy in store? Because buying four books for rules in the space of a year is going to annoy the hell out of me. 

PhillyT

PhillyT

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 901 posts
They are overcosted, but they've never failed me. You need another couple big scary things to take the pressure off.

I still prefer that massive kff bubble. But I think I'll grab a gorkanaut and run both.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 264 posts
If Mork was like 250pts and exsactly the same I'd feild it just for kff amd tank

PhillyT

PhillyT

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 901 posts
250 would be way too cheap. 300 is probably a fair price.

toaae

toaae

Flesh Eater Squig

• Grotz
  • 87 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAGH! Tortoof

Oh man, let's not get into the Nauts again... we already had a full thread on that topic... But yes... many things need changing and it's taking a while... So this "chapter approved" thingy. Is it an electronic thing or something I have to buy in store? Because buying four books for rules in the space of a year is going to annoy the hell out of me. 

Then you will be annoyed. It's the 40k version of the General's Handbook.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 264 posts

Then you will be annoyed. It's the 40k version of the General's Handbook.

Then my friend who left GW (worked there) was correct in his theory. He told me it's how it works there... they plan stuff like this to sell more stuff (even told me the index would be useless to most people in a few months before the index even came out). He said he figured it out when they offered shop workers a bonus for selling more rules books and stuff. He didn't know for sure but he understands how it works on the inside so it seems to be going as he theoried right now. It's like all the new stuff being more expensive. He thinks it's how gw subtly increases prices as they push out the older model line. If his theory is true it's sad... a lot of people who work in gw really do care about 40k but it's the top people who are in control of the money who woukd be doing this. Like game devs who are forced to realise a game more early to suite the publisher when the game is obviously not ready.

Oh man... Instantly regret making this thread... I'm being way more negative than I even like!

PhillyT

PhillyT

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 901 posts
I think your friend engages in a bit too much conspiratorial conversation.

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 4,800 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun
GW cynically stacking their own sales? Never! :lol

PhillyT

PhillyT

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 901 posts
I doubt they intentionally sabotage their own rule books specifically to then fix those faulty books with an end of the year patch at the users cost.

I have no doubt they price models in a way to maximize profit. That's just business.