Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How do Orks kill Magnus ?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Keithandor

Keithandor

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 15 posts
  • Army Name:Da Pale Orks

What are the best tools for killing Magnus , or things like Knights ?

My boyz are stuggling, Lootas just bounce off.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 283 posts
  • Army Name:Dreg Boyz
Pray to Mork that you get reborn into a body far far away once they squish you.

I still haven't found a point effective way of dealing with these guys but maybe a few Mek guns might do it. I watched a game of 4 Gorkanauts and it still took them a hell of a lot of effort to just deal with 1 knight. They had to double team him in cc and then explode to cause the last mortal wounds to him. XD

laughterofgods

laughterofgods

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,470 posts

I had good luck with a unit of 15 tankbustas in a battlewagon and 15 burnas.  Both units shot, Burnas got 45 hits thanks to a command point reroll, and then had to charge to finish him off.  However, that was before he got FAQ'd to have the spell that gives him a 3+ inv.  I think if you want to take Magnus down you have to do everything you can to keep him from getting off the +1 inv. save power.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 283 posts

I had good luck with a unit of 15 tankbustas in a battlewagon and 15 burnas.  Both units shot, Burnas got 45 hits thanks to a command point reroll, and then had to charge to finish him off.  However, that was before he got FAQ'd to have the spell that gives him a 3+ inv.  I think if you want to take Magnus down you have to do everything you can to keep him from getting off the +1 inv. save power.

I'm thinking about getting some burna boyz for my front line troops although some people have told me they're poor in this edition. But I also like the idea of them. What would you suggest?

Greyhound

Greyhound

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 418 posts
  • Army Name:Greyhound's Horde

I think if you want to take Magnus down you have to do everything you can to keep him from getting off the +1 inv. save power.

is a weird boy denying the witch a good enough option?

laughterofgods

laughterofgods

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,470 posts

is a weird boy denying the witch a good enough option?

I don't know about good enough Greyhound, but a 3+ save rerolling 1's is about the same as having a 2+ save, so I would say you don't have much choice.  Think of it more along the lines until you stall until the turn when you can deny the witch.

Dribble Joy

Dribble Joy

Skitzo

• Bad Moonz
  • 2,376 posts
  • Army Name:Nuggruz's Iron Klads.
One thing I might interject with is:

Do you need to take him down?

He's a single model. He's a significant resource expense on your opponent's behalf. Sure he's individually powerful, but denying his owner the ability to capitalise on his powers will do more than the effort to remove him.

Think about refused flanks, baiting him with units that don't matter in the strategic sense, or simply forcing your opponent to respond in a reactionary manner.
  • AnthonyS likes this

laughterofgods

laughterofgods

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,470 posts

One thing I might interject with is:

Do you need to take him down?

He's a single model. He's a significant resource expense on your opponent's behalf. Sure he's individually powerful, but denying his owner the ability to capitalise on his powers will do more than the effort to remove him.

Think about refused flanks, baiting him with units that don't matter in the strategic sense, or simply forcing your opponent to respond in a reactionary manner.

If you are just running a ton of Boyz of even Stormboyz, Magnus doesn't really matter that much.  He might kill 4 or so with his psychic powers, and then will probably only kill 5 more in the assault phase.  He can leave combat and mindbullet something thanks to the fly keyword, but he can't charge anything more valuable.  

The Northern Ork

The Northern Ork

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 276 posts
  • Army Name:The Dark Warpers

kombi skorcha nobz in a wagon, all armed with big choppas... charge in with Deffrolla then the nobz, having pre fired all kombi and all rokkits on wagon. Then hit on 2's (because you do have a banner nob right???) with the Nobz doing -2 armor and 2 damage a piece. if he does not interrupt hit with the BW on 2's. And remember to buy the ammo runts, cheap wounds to ignore the first round of combat from the knight..... nuff said. You'll still have nobz left after the combat and a BW to roam around. 

KMK mek gunz are also a good option. I've fallen in love with them and am converting a full battery for all my lists. 

Lootas are their to whittle him down, not kill him. And if you have my list on top, you can shoot at something else entirely and maybe wipe a squad from the table per turn if lucky.

My two teef

TNO

• teister likes this
"THIS IS WARPERS TERRITORY" Taken from last transmission from Battle Ship Emperor's Fist, Quadrant Delta Omega Three.

AnthonyS

AnthonyS

Snotling

• Boyz
  • 121 posts

Forgetting Magnus for a minute.  How do you kill Mortarian?  That guy can have a 2+ save and each time he makes a save in combat, the unit that hit him takes a mortal wound on a 4+!

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 283 posts

Forgetting Magnus for a minute.  How do you kill Mortarian?  That guy can have a 2+ save and each time he makes a save in combat, the unit that hit him takes a mortal wound on a 4+!

Well that's some OP BS. Erm, you could attack him with 120 attacks and pray to the gods he rolls lots of 1s.

AnthonyS

AnthonyS

Snotling

• Boyz
  • 121 posts

Very crudely calculated. 120 attacks would take 3 wounds off Magnus and kill 11 ork boys.  That's in the Orks fight phase.  Ouch!

A unit of nobz with power stabbas would be best bet, with ablative grots to absorb wounds.

The lack of power weapons is going to sting here.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 283 posts

Nah, screw calculations... we're playing Orks here! Maths seems to go out the window when I play orks... I did 120 attacks once and got 107 wounds! 

Boss Ardnutz

Boss Ardnutz

Suction Foot

• Boyz
  • 590 posts
  • Army Name:da Maniakz
I did 120 attacks once, against a Tac Squad, and got no wounds. That game didn't go well at all.
  • Skumdreg likes this

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 283 posts

I did 120 attacks once, against a Tac Squad, and got no wounds. That game didn't go well at all.

Unfortunately it's a game of chance... we can calculate all day but sometimes you miss 20 2+ws shots and other days you'll get 20 5+BS shots... Why I both love 40k but also hate it.

Boss Ardnutz

Boss Ardnutz

Suction Foot

• Boyz
  • 590 posts
  • Army Name:da Maniakz
Like another time long ago when I charged a grot mob into the Grey Knight Terminators holding a key objective. The grots were wiped out but first they killed just one terminator, which took that unit below scoring strength, and meant I won the game on objectives :-D

PhillyT

PhillyT

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 904 posts
  • Army Name:Dakka Ghulthrakka's Boyz

You are going to need to crush him in melee.  You can do it.  A large ork blob jumping from a trukk will do well.  You will force him to keep leaving combat since he can't grind through you in combat and the Klaw nob will wear him away.

Shooting will require lootas, who you have already discovered aren't terribly well suited to the task.  Even more effective are Flash Gitz.  They only wound on a 5+ but they will land more hits.  Anything above a -1 to AS is a bit of a waste though given his invulnerable save.  Tankbustas work wonderfully though, especially with a full compliment of squigs.

The Northern Ork

The Northern Ork

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 276 posts
  • Army Name:The Dark Warpers

I played against Morty this weekend.. proxy of course, and I killed him turn two with 2 rounds with a 5 KMK battery.... those things hit hard if you fail your saves... :P

"THIS IS WARPERS TERRITORY" Taken from last transmission from Battle Ship Emperor's Fist, Quadrant Delta Omega Three.