Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What new unit would you like to see?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

CrazyOrk

CrazyOrk

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 11 posts

Madboyz, Yoofs, Gretchin with 24" range.

• warhead01 and Mik McMok the Mek like this

killercroc

killercroc

Periscope

• Boyz
  • 775 posts
  • Army Name:Da Iron Gitz

Honestly I'd support the idea of a medium tank, it's something that almost every army has but we lack. We use to have looted vehicles but then those were watered down and then removed. We have the Trukk for a basic transport and the Battlewagon for a heavy transport/firebase but I would like to see something along the lines of what the beakies have for a predator/vindicator, a medium armor tank with a variety of guns able to take out troops or tanks. I know we have the FW tanks that are like this but I would prefer something more on the GW side as FW cannot make anything balanced, their ruling for non Imperial/helmet stuff has and is just terrible.  

• Giganotosaurus likes this

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,420 posts
  • Army Name:Mad Miks motor'eads

Gretchin with even  18" range sniper rifles would be sweet, grots with mini skorchas,  grots with tac nukes, 

also pigboyz pleaz!

When all else fails Panic
If that doesn't work...then you know you're up to your neck in it!

AnthonyS

AnthonyS

Snotling

• Boyz
  • 121 posts

I'd like a unit that buffs shooting and possibly a change to slugga boys so that over 20 models gives an extra shot rather than an extra attack - although over 20 models has always felt a bit harsh (10 would have been fairer).

I would like a supa-landa type of vehicle that you find in Epic

And pulsa rokkets.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 283 posts
  • Army Name:Dreg Boyz

There is a short answer, and a long answer. The long answer is to go here. I know that sounds obtuse to basically point you to a series of articles, but it shows my working out, basically. Because naturally, I feel I "get" them, to a greater extent than some of GW's actual writers. No least that I can seem to understand what Freebootas are and how to communicate how Waaagh Energy and resonance works.

The short answer is, they're the most creative, industrious, and resourceful race in the 40k universe. Yet it seems GW wants to present Orks as bumbling morons who make lego toys. They seem incapable of making things that don't look like bricks (unless you look at Epic or anything pre-4th edition) and they seem to only have three principle looks when it comes to vehicle and weapon design: Fat Bucket (all the walkers), Box (trukk, battlewagon, deffkopta) and cliché (everything else, such as the planes and Mek Gunz, that basically look like they were designed by a 5 year old with crayons).

Obviously, I know some people don't mind the newer stuff, but I find them clunky, unimaginative, and oversized, combined with utterly unsatisfactory design decisions, and an overall attitude to design that screams: oh, it looks a bit wacky, that'll do.

It's one of the reasons why I want Ork Speedstas, because Ork Speedstas are built with pretty aerodynamic frames, have imaginative and cool looking weapons, and they combine light armour with speed, something Orks apparently love, but don't actually have very many models that look like they're capable of it.

I bloody hate those Flash Gitz. Words can't express how daft I think those things are.

In all honesty I don't even read the lore on the orks, and I feel the exact same way (maybe because I read more fan fiction on orks than real GW stuff). I also agree on your designs (apart from morkanaut which I actually do like the look of if painted correctly to look like actual technology (see my avatar for my Mork)). Orks are very much misunderstood! They're designed by one of the most powerful races in the solar system to be a super weapon yet everyone just looks at them like annoying mosquito monsters... When we all know one warband of Orks can devastate a planet! They're almost like ants... sure the individual ork is kinda dumb but together they create a hive of green that is both smart, resourceful and efficient. (people forget Orks are in no way dumb! They just lack the same level of self awareness of other species)

However, I also see Orks as fun! They're not the gritty super soldier who see the world of chaos destroying everything they love as they sacrifice their life to save their emperor... They're just there to fight and have a good time! Almost like a party of blood and violence flowing throughout the galaxy. Although, I do admit this only relates to the orks themselves and not the elder nobs, weirdboyz, and important war boss who have actually grown intelligence and self awareness. 

Zark the Damned

Zark the Damned

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 224 posts
  • Army Name:Waargh Kargrak

Squig Riders / Boar Boyz would be neat as a dedicated combat rush unit rather than the more scoot n shoot bikers.

Bringing back some sort of dedicated battle tank, something between the looted wagon and the beakie predator would be neat.

'ard boyz as a separate unit seem a shoe in, though knowing GW they'd cost a few CP to field.

While Madboyz are a neat concept they'd be tough to represent without lolrandom charts.

• Mik McMok the Mek likes this

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 283 posts

I would perhaps like to see Feral Orks... maybe even their own faction... 

Goreshrek

Goreshrek

Snotling

• Boyz
  • 129 posts
  • Army Name:BlooSkullz

'ard boyz would be nice. As far a model goes, a mega armor warboss would be great. Ghaz as a model is boring, but something between Ghaz and mega nobz would be useful. 

• colinabrett likes this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wartrukk Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,690 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

At the very least I'd like to see a kustom warboss builder - a few stat points that can be distributed as the owner sees fit and options on kustom wargear (including evvy armour). Wouldn't need to be as trollish as the average beeky primarch - just something to make them a bit less one-size-fits-all.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 283 posts
The warboss in this version has armour right? He as a 4+ save as beforehand.

Moe Dakka

Moe Dakka

Snotling

• Boyz
  • 126 posts

It's one of the reasons why I want Ork Speedstas, because Ork Speedstas are built with pretty aerodynamic frames

aero-wutnow?  :?

Sounds like panzee talk.

• colinabrett and Mik McMok the Mek like this

colinabrett

colinabrett

Snotling

• Boyz
  • 122 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Badrokk

'ard boyz as a separate unit seem a shoe in, though knowing GW they'd cost a few CP to field.

I wouldn't mind paying the CP. There are quite a few weapons with AP -1 (Beakies 2.0 bolt rifle, for instance), so giving da Boyz a chance at a save is worth the CP.

Colin

• Mik McMok the Mek and StormGuard like this
"The smartest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
-- Verbal Kynt, The Usual Suspects

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 4,808 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun

aero-wutnow?  :?

Sounds like panzee talk.

Illustrating my point about Goff-Centricness from other threads perfectly. This is part of the reason why I want to see the range opened up. The new flyers are aerodynamic (I actually like the one with the shit name) but there's nothing to say other vehicles that are meant to go fast shouldn't be like that too. You know, that Cult of Speed? Ignoring the daft and regularly misconstrued "Orks don't need to follow physics" claim that a lot of people who haven't read Ork fluff very well think is an actual excuse not to show that Ork Meks are perfectly excellent engineers as the fluff says they are.

I did also want to reiterate, that I don't hate the "Fat Bucket", "Box" or "cliché" appearances necessarily. I just think there's plenty of room for more looks. After all, Orks have the least amount of orthodoxy in the 40k Universe, and a lot of room for creativity. 

• Mik McMok the Mek and Giganotosaurus like this

Elusive

Elusive

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 26 posts
  • Army Name:Gitbustas
I'd like models for what the taken away: megadread, ol zogwart, wazdakka, and my damn looted wagons. I still see no reason to remove the looted wagons, gw having left them out of the last two codexes but added them back to 7th with white dwarf.

I know the argument is that there's no official model but it's orks, most players have more kitbashed or scratch built models than official ones.

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,420 posts
  • Army Name:Mad Miks motor'eads

I'd like models for what the taken away: megadread, ol zogwart, wazdakka, and my damn looted wagons. I still see no reason to remove the looted wagons, gw having left them out of the last two codexes but added them back to 7th with white dwarf.

I know the argument is that there's no official model but it's orks, most players have more kitbashed or scratch built models than official ones.

Perhaps that's the very reason GW has excluded it, however, if that is the case they have forgotten that although Ork players, like Orks, scratchbuild and kitbash to beat the band, they mainly use GW parts to do so

When all else fails Panic
If that doesn't work...then you know you're up to your neck in it!

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 216 posts
  • Army Name:Grumpy's Toys

"aero-watnow? :? Sounds like panzee talk."

Moe, I know you revel in your mischievousness, and I know that Dim can be a tempting target, but as in most cases, Dim is spot on. :yes  Why are Orks so inventive, and yet they are treated as having no industry; no matter how crude? Why must all Ork technology be the cobbled together remains of other races, gleaned from battlefield wreckage? Even the highly inventive Kult of Speed is apparently incapable of creating something on their own.  :? Why are Goffs, fanatically intent on getting into hand to hand combat, stuck "hoofing it" across the battlefield? One would think that trukks would be first on their list of needs so that they could get "stuck-in" that much more quickly. :yes I like Gargants & Stompas, but why do they have to look like inverted flowerpots? And, don't get me started on the overpriced, undersized, hit every branch when it fell out of the stupidly ugly tree, go/morkanaut :puke (and wouldn't a battlewagon with some fancy weapons be better?). I love the concept of looted vehicles. It's only natural for any group who receives a "gift of battle" to convert captured vehicles to their own uses; just look at what the Germans did during WWII. I also love the exceptional conversions of "delooted" Ork vehicles that appear in 'oomie armies. :thumbs (Well worth taking a look at!) And the claim that Orks don't need to follow physics, or other sciences, because they have this overwhelming racial belief that something will work a certain way is utter tripe! :nono The ever inventive Ork finds a way to make it work. For years science declared that the bumble bee could not fly, and yet it did. Only recently has science discovered how the bee accomplished flight. Could not the same be said of Orks? I will finish my diatribe with a quote from Enzo Ferrari: "Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture engines." He was wrong, and he isn't alone. :soap

• Dim_Reapa likes this

Moe Dakka

Moe Dakka

Snotling

• Boyz
  • 126 posts

"aero-watnow? :? Sounds like panzee talk."

Moe, I know you revel in your mischievousness, and I know that Dim can be a tempting target, but as in most cases, Dim is spot on. :yes  Why are Orks so inventive, and yet they are treated as having no industry; no matter how crude? Why must all Ork technology be the cobbled together remains of other races, gleaned from battlefield wreckage? Even the highly inventive Kult of Speed is apparently incapable of creating something on their own.  :? Why are Goffs, fanatically intent on getting into hand to hand combat, stuck "hoofing it" across the battlefield? One would think that trukks would be first on their list of needs so that they could get "stuck-in" that much more quickly. :yes I like Gargants & Stompas, but why do they have to look like inverted flowerpots? And, don't get me started on the overpriced, undersized, hit every branch when it fell out of the stupidly ugly tree, go/morkanaut :puke (and wouldn't a battlewagon with some fancy weapons be better?). I love the concept of looted vehicles. It's only natural for any group who receives a "gift of battle" to convert captured vehicles to their own uses; just look at what the Germans did during WWII. I also love the exceptional conversions of "delooted" Ork vehicles that appear in 'oomie armies. :thumbs (Well worth taking a look at!) And the claim that Orks don't need to follow physics, or other sciences, because they have this overwhelming racial belief that something will work a certain way is utter tripe! :nono The ever inventive Ork finds a way to make it work. For years science declared that the bumble bee could not fly, and yet it did. Only recently has science discovered how the bee accomplished flight. Could not the same be said of Orks? I will finish my diatribe with a quote from Enzo Ferrari: "Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture engines." He was wrong, and he isn't alone. :soap

IDK.

I see Orks as function before form.   I can't recall when Ork gear didn't look like a child put it together.  I find the current stuff to be a vast improvement over past designs, although the Rogue Trader stuff had its wonky charm.

2c2ee7547bade6485fabcdff0b8f9d87.jpg

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 4,808 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun
The answer is epic. Lots of very sleak and interesting designs. Also the new flyers, especially the Wazbomma or whatever it's called. I already mentioned Speedstas. They've already had models, albeit for epic.
  • Mik McMok the Mek, Giganotosaurus and Garr like this

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 216 posts
  • Army Name:Grumpy's Toys

Weapons are function before form. When a weapon's form is more important than its function, it becomes an ornament (and please don't quibble about times when form and function are the same thing). As to the childish aspect, I am sure the lazy GW designers have never looked farther than their child's toy bin when it comes to orky inspiration. However, just because it always was that way, does not mean that it has to stay that way. I hear that way too much at my place of employment.

I do agree with you Moe, that the current Ork line is the best. I should know, I have plenty of series 1 & 2. :blush

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 283 posts
I still Like my Morkanaut regardless of what you guys say (as sen in my avatar). When painted well and given the correct style they do look good. One thing about their gun, doesn't it fire pure energy? Isn't that super advanced? If so, why does it still only hit on a 5 and do d3 damage?