Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Loot all the things!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

FlamingDeth

FlamingDeth

Hair Squig

• Grotz
  • 69 posts
He's very slightly taller. I was trying to pivot him at the spine to sand him up, and they don't gain a lot of height from that.

No progress to speak of but I actually played the game! 55 PL game because that's more or less what I can find since I had just moved. My army consisted of a decade old warboss conversion, from right around when Black Reach came out...
med_gallery_47416_13367_406975.jpg
So old that there's yellowing on the plasticcard! In retrospect a decent concept, but the arms drove me nuts at the very least.

Rest of the list...another warboss, stock snap fit black reach fella, just because that's what I could find to fill my second hq slot. Also two 30 boy mobz, two ten boy mobz in trukks, and...actually I think that's it. Any paint applied to anything in this army was not done by me, I haven't gotten that far, and since I could only find one trukk the other one was a busted up mkI rhino.

I was up against a primarily infantry guard plus an earthshaker emplacement. No conscripts because its not like either of us was optimizing things exactly. This was not destined to be a fast game just from the mode count. I'm not familiar enough with the current rules to say the exact mission, but there were four objectives, controlling one at the end of the game turn gave you a point, and was set to five turns. We deployed on long board edges.
med_gallery_47416_13367_605989.jpg
Looked something like that. I didn't bother taking more pictures but probably should have. Objectives are hard to see but the were more or less about a foot in from all the edges.

Basically I charged the boys up the right side of the field and ate bullets. The trukk boyz went up the right flank to try to take out the earthshaker. The bosses were both in the misdst of the boyz because that seemed like a good place. I went second. First turn involved little movement on the part of the guard and much shooting, didn't kill many boyz but did nearly kill a trukk and minorly damages the other.

I ran the giant mobs as far as I could, got them parked on an objective. Disembarked the shoota boyz out of the nearly broken trukk and ran them up some ruins to an objective, where the would proceed to never inflict a single wound the entire game, but also not get wiped out and control the objective the whole time, they were great. I made more saves with them than I do when rolling for my Deathwing.

Long story short, the boyz get shot to pieces running up field, but the trukk boyz silence the artilery and then get stuck in before being killed. The bosses and most of the foot mobz get killed too, but about a dozen boyz make it into combat and occupy the gunlines for a couple turns. Most importantly though rushing up everything kept the guard on the back of the board. I ended the game with eleven victory points vs his three, despite having four of my left on the board at the end.

Even with poor army design pure numbers work if you play objectives! Yay!

FlamingDeth

FlamingDeth

Hair Squig

• Grotz
  • 69 posts

I'm not dead! Most of my hobby time recently has been spent painting illithids for the DM of my D&D game. That might have been a bad plan since now we might end up facing a swarm of illithids. But I did take time to paint up a test model, same fella from earlier! What I was going for was something like this...

gallery_47416_13367_24139.jpg

But what I ended up with was more like this...

gallery_47416_13367_334234.jpeg

Not quite as good, and especially the hands ended up looking kind of spiece of panzee dungor-y. I have some revisions in mind to make it smoother, but it's a thing I did and it's an ork so I'm posting it.

Garslag

Garslag

'Ead Graft

• Boyz
  • 718 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
Your inspiration piece has some intense shadow work that is going to be difficult to replicate, that's for sure. Actually what interests me the most is what you have used for that ork. He looks more upright than your standard gw gorilla. Have you done some work? Or is it just a trick of the camera?
"Parry the 6!"

FlamingDeth

FlamingDeth

Hair Squig

• Grotz
  • 69 posts
Hes actually the same fella from the previous page. As someone with some back problems I cant imagine trying to go into combat with the kind of lordotic curve that GW gives their orks so Ive been trying to fix it. Slow going on 150+ models though.
  • Badfang Brassaxe likes this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Looted Russ Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,983 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

The model you've used for your inspiration crops up quite often on Pinterest, one way might be to paint it all mid-tone, give it a dark wash followed by a dry-brushed highlight?

I cant imagine trying to go into combat with the kind of lordotic curve that GW gives their orks so Ive been trying to fix it. Slow going on 150+ models though.

It's only taken me about 25 years to do 350-400 or so :thumbs

FlamingDeth

FlamingDeth

Hair Squig

• Grotz
  • 69 posts
I basically did that for painting, but I think I need to start with a lighter grey, then do a heavy drybrush of the base color with a lighter drybrush of a lighter color. I know its not going to be as nice as the inspiration Im using since 1) I have to be able to batch paint these quickly, 2) I dont have an airbrush, and 3) Im a horrible painter. I still just like the monochrome scheme (plus red for some sort of ork noir scheme), and I think it works since in my head fluff for the army while theyre not chaos followers they are still warp tainted for reasons and the albino skin I think helps show it and will give them an air of menace.

Going back to your reposed boyz, do you have any prepainted/side views of them?

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Looted Russ Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,983 posts

Going back to your reposed boyz, do you have any prepainted/side views of them?

The only ones I can think of are these three

1000carve_up_by_badfang-dbhvfkp.jpg

and

project_burn__em_all_by_badfang-dbtnk2n.

burnaboy_by_badfang-dbv0nb1.jpg

Don't know if they'll help any :?

Garslag

Garslag

'Ead Graft

• Boyz
  • 718 posts
I recognise those choppaxe guys, but possibly I hadn't seen the WIPs or maybe I'm just not so observant, because I hadn't realised that you'd restructured their bodies. It looks like you've used a buttload of putty (when do you not? ) but it seems to disguise the work well.
"Parry the 6!"

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Looted Russ Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,983 posts

It is possible to do less work on them by sticking the legs onto the base, using a razor saw to make two parallel vertical cuts through the legs either side of the belt and then tip the front of the waist up before gluing back to the legs - I think the three (finished) burnaboyz on the left of the second pic were done like that and it does get them standing a bit taller and straighter.

FlamingDeth

FlamingDeth

Hair Squig

• Grotz
  • 69 posts
Well, I mostly finished a big shoota repose and basing! More vertical, changes out the supporting arm to give it a bit more depth, and he must be heroic because hes bracing one foot on something.

med_gallery_47416_13367_264545.jpeg

Alright, progress! Now at this rate of one boy every 6 weeks, I should have a fully reposed army ready for painting in...let me do the math...

...um...

...17.3 years. Let me rethink this a little bit maybe. The vertical leg chops may be the way to go, thatll get me through the chaff a lot faster. Vertical at the hips, minor neck mods, and swiveling the arms that have one of those bicep straps to hide the join might be the way to go.

Also, while unpacking some boxes I unearthed a conversion about as old as the boss posted earlier!

med_gallery_47416_13367_515299.jpeg

Trukk! Its stood up ok over time, I think that if were to do it again Id recess the trukk engine into the rhino chassis a bit. Honestly even with building a partial cowling it would be pretty fast and easy to do so I might do it anyways, but Ill still have to wait until I have a few more orks before I spend the time doing it.
  • Zagursnik, Badfang Brassaxe, Garslag and 1 other like this

Garslag

Garslag

'Ead Graft

• Boyz
  • 718 posts
I'd like to see another angle, but first impression is that the posture looks better on this guy than the last. They must be very tall.

Rhino looks more looted vehicle than trukk, but that is the case with 90% of rhino-trukks I've seen. In any case it looks really good and the plasticard work is mint.
"Parry the 6!"

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Looted Russ Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,983 posts

Easiest way to sort out arms that I've found is to flatten some wet Milliput into a sheet, tear the sheet in half then apply bits to the shoulders to make them look as though they're wearing T-shirts with torn sleeves, if you haven't got (or can't get) Milliput then the GW studio used to get a similar effect with plasticine covered in superglue back in the day - either way is the simplest solution to dodgy looking shoulder joins. How does your Rhino look with a couple of wheels either side of the ram? (It might be quicker than mucking about with the engine :? )

FlamingDeth

FlamingDeth

Hair Squig

• Grotz
  • 69 posts
Funny story is that it was going to be a looted wagon, the top is even magnetized so that a giant gun carriage can go in the cargo compartment, but then GW removed the looted wagon because they hate orks.

As for the arms Im not too worried about them, the razor saw makes it pretty easy to reposition them without much trouble as long as the first cut is flush with the body. Im also probably going to leave the looted rhino as is for a while regardless, its functional enough and I dont want to dive into other projects before I finish what Im working on if I can avoid it.

Garslag

Garslag

'Ead Graft

• Boyz
  • 718 posts
My experience of plasticene covered in superglue is that the paint will crack... no idea why. I never used primer or undercoat back then though, perhaps that might mitigate the problem.
"Parry the 6!"

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 313 posts
  • Army Name:Grumpy's Toys

Plasticine does not dry. The superglue shell floats on top of it. I speculate that with time & handling, the superglue will crack, or move, leading to problems with the paint.  :?

I'm with Badfang on the looted rhino, adding a pair of wheels would be the easiest solution, like the old FW gunwagon. 

Garslag

Garslag

'Ead Graft

• Boyz
  • 718 posts

Plasticine does not dry. The superglue shell floats on top of it. I speculate that with time & handling, the superglue will crack, or move, leading to problems with the paint.  :?

This would explain why it worked for eavy metal models that only need to have photos taken once and then up on the shelf, but not for my once a week tabletop boyz.
"Parry the 6!"

FlamingDeth

FlamingDeth

Hair Squig

• Grotz
  • 69 posts
Faster, easier method of reposing the boyz is paying off, theyre not my best conversion work ever, but for something I can churn out on an assembly line itll work. Basically cut a wedge out at the waist, turn the wedge around and glue back together, vertical cuts at the hips, rotate around, repose whatever arm was part of the main body on the snap fit boyz. Proof of concept, one minimum sized mob.

med_gallery_47416_13367_557432.jpeg

All together! Heres a closer pic of the ones that have some modicum of paint on them.

med_gallery_47416_13367_569674.jpeg

I havent added highlights on the two newer guys yet, and debating whether its worth it. Its extra time that can be spent painting more guys and honestly avoids the super stark contrasts on the first guy. Dunno.

Also, as an added bonus, some company for them in the form of boyz my four year old helped paint. Only the flashiest of gitz.

med_gallery_47416_13367_534210.jpeg
  • Giganotosaurus likes this

Total AnOrky

Total AnOrky

Steel Teef

• Boyz
  • 677 posts
  • Army Name:AnOrkysts

It is funny the colors that kids pick.  When my daughter was 4 she thought that my job was "Orks."  I would be leaving for work and she would say "Going to work today Dad?, Orks?"  'Yep'

• Garslag likes this

FlamingDeth

FlamingDeth

Hair Squig

• Grotz
  • 69 posts
Oh dear, it hasnt gotten to that point at least, but then my wife thinks that this game is eye-rollingly terrible so I usually only work on stuff when shes not here.

Though lets be honest, if I was able to make Orks my job I would in a heartbeat.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Looted Russ Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,983 posts

The three boyz you've completed are certainly up to 'horde' standard and they're easy enough to go back to at some later date :thumbs

Also, as an added bonus, some company for them in the form of boyz my four year old helped paint. Only the flashiest of gitz.

med_gallery_47416_13367_534210.jpeg

Looks like you're raising a Tzeentch worshipper :lol