Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Large Scale Killa Kan

* * * * * 3 votes Killa Kan

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Paperclip

Paperclip

Syringe Squig

• Grotz
  • 77 posts
Hello all,

Well it's been a while since I last posted in the Mek's Garage, but I've had a new project underway for the past 6 months or so. After a little nudge from a fellow board member, who's been following the project on YouTube, I figured it's about time I shared it here.

So yes... as the thread title gave away... I'm making a large scale replica of this Killa Kan. I'm scaling up by 5 times, so as the game GW Kan stands at about 50mm this model will be about 250mm tall. Anyway, below are links to all of my update videos so far (along with a few photos from each for those who don't have time to watch).

I look forward to reading your comments / feedback / questions here in Mek's Garage :D

1. Project Introduction 
In this update I introduce the project.

killakan_part_1.jpg

2. Hatch Detail & Hinge
In this update I work on the top hatch detail and make the hinge to connect it to the Kan body.
killakan_part_2.jpg

3. Hatch Locking Mechanism
In this update I work on the locking mechanism that will hold the top hatch shut and open with a turn of the wheel.
killakan_part_3.jpg

4. Shape Those Hips
In this update I work on the underside of the Kan body and build the hip joints, which proved challenging shapes to create with sheet plastic.
killakan_part_4.jpg

5. Dangly Gubbins
In this update I work on the hydraulic contraption between the kan's legs.
killakan_part_5.jpg

6. Retrofitting a Battery Compartment
In this update I work on some modifications to make space for a battery compartment. I also work on the mounts for the lower jaw.
killakan_part_6.jpg

7. A twinkle in it's eyes
In this update I work on "eyes", including the viewing slot, 3 lights and targeting sight.
killakan_part_7.jpg

8. Upper Legs
In this update I work on the upper legs.
killakan_part_8.jpg

9. Shoulder Joint
In this update I work on the shoulder joint. I work out how to provide elevation and rotational movements and a method to lock the pose in place.
killakan_part_9.jpg

10. Side Panel and Progress Recap
In this update I work on the side panel details. I then assemble everything I've built over the past 5 months to show how the model is looking so far.
killakan_part_10.jpg
  • det, Orkimedez, derry and 4 others like this

Paperclip

Paperclip

Syringe Squig

• Grotz
  • 77 posts
11. Cockpit Radar Console
In this update I start work on cockpit, creating an illuminated radar console. I also add catches for the top hatch and get the front panel stuck on.
killakan_part_11.jpg
  • det, Orkimedez, derry and 5 others like this

jackdoud

jackdoud

Kaptin Kork

• Boyz
  • 975 posts

Nice work! How do you get your styrene cuts so clean? With thicker card I can never get 90* edges with a knife and my bandsaw seems to melt the plastic more than cut it.

Big Mekboy Chumba

Big Mekboy Chumba

Buzzing Squig

• Grotz
  • 97 posts
  • Army Name:Da Steel Boot Boyz
Looks amazing, quite an adventurous undertaking! Can't wait to see it finished.
If I break it, I'll fix it.
If you break it, I'll fix you!

PointBlank

PointBlank

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts

When I realised you were making a functional locking hatch my mind was blown

Yara

Yara

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 28 posts

Fantastic to see this on here ;) it's a truly awesome endeavor. Can't wait to see the how it progresses!

When I realised [Paperclip was] making a functional locking hatch my mind was blown

Agreed!

det

det

Phobiak

• Blood Axez
  • 2,221 posts
  • Army Name:Snake Korps

Awesome!!! Keep it up!!

modelling: my completely completed stuff

gaming: 1850 mech blood axes list updated

fluff: what being blood axes is all about
--------------------
looting other races: tautechmarines (other site thread)

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,750 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

Holeeee Gork n Mork... 'nuff said. I will say something intelligible after I watch the videos.

Just...

wow.

Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,558 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd

This is pretty amazing. That working hatch is on a whole other level. That radar console too. Wow. And as Jackdoud points out everything is so clean. :thumbs

"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

KNW

KNW

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 493 posts
  • Army Name:The Industral Strength WAAAAGH

That's a beautiful yellow on the Kan; how'd you do it?

Paperclip

Paperclip

Syringe Squig

• Grotz
  • 77 posts

Thanks all :)

Nice work! How do you get your styrene cuts so clean? With thicker card I can never get 90* edges with a knife and my bandsaw seems to melt the plastic more than cut it.

A nice sharp blade... more cuts at a lighter pressure, rather than trying to press hard and cut it in one or 2 passes... take it slowly and keep your eye on the blade to ensure its upright.. but at the end of the day cutting styrene with a knife always leaves some distortion as the wedge shape of the blade forces material aside leaving a burr. I usually just have a piece of abrasive paper on a flat surface and just run the edge along that until it's nice and clean and hopefully square. I'll sometimes use a block of wood to put the plastic up against and keep it at right angles to the abrasive.

That's a beautiful yellow on the Kan; how'd you do it?

If I remember correctly (it was a while back I painted that) it would have been as follows... White primer... a couple of thin coats of Bronzed Flesh... Golden Yellow... shaded with Mournfang Brown, highlighted with Sunburst Yellow and maybe a touch of white. I think the key is the bronzed flesh undercoat which has decent coverage. The yellows tend to be pretty translucent so it gives the yellow a nice warm richness that you don't get going straight on to white. Note some of my paints date back years so not sure the current equivalents behave the same.

GreenHead

GreenHead

Snotroom

• Grotz
  • 47 posts
  • Army Name:Aauggrry's Mob

Swwwwwweeeeet.  Gork and Mork have smiled upon you and blessed your fabricatin' digits!

The purpose in life is to fight maturity.

Tribun

Tribun

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 376 posts
  • Army Name:WAAGH..we dunno need namez, we need foes!
Wow!

DAGERMAN ANSWERTO WAAAGH!!!!

...pleaze exkuze my english...

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,750 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

Well, I have watched all the videos and I still don't have anything intelligent to say. Your fabrication skills are awe inspiring. Every cut is incredibly clean and every curve precise. And... perfect rivets... I have no words. Kudos to you on all counts.

Just one question: what possessed you to start this project? I mean to say, where did the idea of a 5x scale kan come from?

I look forward to the next update.

Oh, and I will definitely be linking this into the Klassics when it gets closer to completion.

Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Paperclip

Paperclip

Syringe Squig

• Grotz
  • 77 posts

Just one question: what possessed you to start this project? I mean to say, where did the idea of a 5x scale kan come from?

I was looking for a new project, unfortunately I don't have space for another boat and the Killa Kan was sitting there looking as though it might provide a good challenge... which it certainly has. As for the size,  I wanted to try something of a larger scale as it opens up a new dimension to the level of detail that can be achieved. I settled on 5x specifically mainly due to tube sizes. I measured a lot of the cylindrical shapes on the GW Kan and with the maximum styrene tube being about 13mm if I went much bigger in scale I would be struggling to find larger sized tubes.

Anyway... I've just posted a new update :)

Dental Work
In this update I tackle the teeth and front armour plate.
killakan_part_12.jpg
  • GorFrag, Mad Grot Docsnik, jackdoud and 2 others like this

kuczek40

kuczek40

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 37 posts

Amazing works!

Paperclip

Paperclip

Syringe Squig

• Grotz
  • 77 posts
Hi all,
Work on the Killa Kan has been a little slow recently, what with a summer holiday and making the most of any nice weather we get at weekends. Anyway, today I finally got around to editing my latest photos and footage in to a new video that I've just posted on YouTube...

Shoulder Armour
In this update I construct the shoulder armour.
killakan_part_13.jpg
  • FlamingDeth and Giganotosaurus like this

Arueda333

Arueda333

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 14 posts
This is amazing work. Thank you for posting it. It is providing me with some good ideas. Been working on a Mr. Potato Head Stompa, borrowed the idea from Irondog. Excited to see that thing completed and all painted up.

KoalaSnok

KoalaSnok

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 6 posts

You should fit a raspberry pi in there!

• Badfang Brassaxe and Garslag like this

One roll, one six.

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 324 posts

Jaw. On Floor.

Seriously! This is SO IMPRESSIVE!  Beautiful work here, and truly inspiring!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Killa Kan