Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

da Mad Grot builds an 'Ulk

- - - - - #hulk #bfg

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 598 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
+1 for angry chicken. A bit of paint really tied him all together.

The paint really makes the most of the towers and buildings you have on there. I really dig the big skull on the side of that one building, and also that building that seems to be cut into the rok.

I think you do need some more crashed and crumpled ships to fill in those blank spaces. Towers are great, but they only go so far. Those ork ships i offered you are still available, although half a imperial cruiser would look even better still. But Badfang is right. You can totally field this mother as it is until inspiration strikes again.
"Parry the 6!"

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,750 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

Yerh, I reckon I will need to keep tweaking this going forward, but the lack of appropriate ship bitz is going to make that impossible for now. I appreciate the offer Garslag, but I have enough ork ship bitz on it and need to locate donor models from other races.

I will press on to get this painted by month end and worry about additions later. And to appease Gun_wun ( ;) ), I give you the Angry Chicken...

Ulk_WIP_8.jpg

This is a day-light picture so the colors are about as accurate as it gets. Paint is "finished" as far back as around the first shield generator pylons. There's some serious painting left to do (the fighters bays for instance).

When it comes down to it, I am really pleased with the Angry Chicken since adding the snow-plow chin. Sort've reminds me of the muppets' drummer, Animal. :D  And I was noticing that Gorbags Revenge looks like an Angry Carp so this will fit right in with the rest of my fleet.

Thanks for keeping me motivated ladz. :cheers

• Sproston Green, Badfang Brassaxe and skarnir like this
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Gun_wun

Gun_wun

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 55 posts

Nice.........  You know having my mind wrapped around Ulks makes me think about The Gargant owners club.  I imagine not many Big Bosses can say they own a Ulk!  It's not like you can just go buy wun after all!  I'm learning it's a real labor of love.  No self respecting Git can truly call dem self a Big War Boss wif out wun.  MGD you got wun now, sit back and chew on some special panzie parts (I recommend da ears, but fingers an toes is pretty chewy too) and den pick it out of yer teef wif a squig stick!  You've earned it.

• Mad Grot Docsnik likes this

skarnir

skarnir

Steel Hornz

• Blood Axez
  • 661 posts
  • Army Name:WAAARGH SKARNIR
Once I gets me fleet painted I shall have a crack one myself. I like the Gob in the end. Its not as weedy as I feared it may have been.
Jobs a gud un!!!

May the Enemies blood on your choppa never dry or your welding torch grow cold!

Ork Tactics by Laughterofthegods

https://www.dropbox....actica.pdf?dl=0

http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50985

KillFalcon

KillFalcon

Oily Squig

• Boyz
  • 106 posts
  • Army Name:'Eavy Metal Thundar

Nice.........  You know having my mind wrapped around Ulks makes me think about The Gargant owners club.  I imagine not many Big Bosses can say they own a Ulk!  It's not like you can just go buy wun after all!  I'm learning it's a real labor of love.  No self respecting Git can truly call dem self a Big War Boss wif out wun.  MGD you got wun now, sit back and chew on some special panzie parts (I recommend da ears, but fingers an toes is pretty chewy too) and den pick it out of yer teef wif a squig stick!  You've earned it.

Yeah, no argument there. Especially since there's no obvious starting point for an 'ulk model!

It's looking pretty damn good to me, to be honest. The main rock texture looks really good.

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,750 posts

Ulk_comp.jpg

Yup, callin' it done. Not my best build ever nor my best paint job. But it's a necessary (and final) addition to my fleet.

Additional pics and WIP collected here.

Wins:

the Angry Chicken face

the downed fightabomma

sprue turned generator pylons

some of the freehands

Fails:

some of the freehands :sowhat

needs more ship bitz  :bang

final protective coat is not matte enough :scowl

The primary reason for the failure of the landing bay freehands is that my hands shake too much now. Sadly I believe this is the end of my ability to paint at this scale. The good news is that my grandmother's hands shook so bad her handwriting was near illegible, but she painted watercolors into her 80s. :thumbs

• Sproston Green, Badfang Brassaxe, Garslag and 1 other like this

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 598 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
I finally spotted the fightabomma - brilliant! I love the crater he's carved out when he came down, but it could strand to be integrated more with the rest of the hulk when you get bored one day.

I hadn't noticed it before but looking at a fully painted pic, that back chaos ship looks kinda like a dorsal fin (terminology may be wrong), which is cool. Gold works nicely there.

A good coat of paint had really done wonders for this.
"Parry the 6!"

skarnir

skarnir

Steel Hornz

• Blood Axez
  • 661 posts
  • Army Name:WAAARGH SKARNIR
Nice paint job mate. i like the detail thats visable now that you have the whole mini painted.

I have been painting aome ships of my own but I doubt Im brave enough to take on a hulk yet. Maybe ill finish off a rok or two.

May the Enemies blood on your choppa never dry or your welding torch grow cold!

Ork Tactics by Laughterofthegods

https://www.dropbox....actica.pdf?dl=0

http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50985

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wartrukk Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,688 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

I'd call that a gud'n :thumbs If you look at GoogleEarth pix they've got a pretty similar look resolution wise to what you've got there so the 'scale painting' is about right - you don't really get to see crisp details if you're looking at something that big from far enough away that you can see all of it at the same time. Wouldn't fuss too much over the varnish either, stuff in space is either unlit and you can't really see it at all or it's being lit up by the local sun and it's really bright like the moon for example. It's busy enough to be obviously what it's supposed to be with enough space available to add bits in future if you find more stuff that has to go on :biggrin

Gun_wun

Gun_wun

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 55 posts

It's time to sit back and smile...........  

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,750 posts

Thanks ladz for your kind words and more for the great ideas you contributed to this project. It would've been a sorrier beast without da Waaagh.

@Garslag - yeah the fightabomma :blush I shoulda sculpted it in place or trimmed down the crater a bit before putting it in place. Nonetheless I think I can fix it by trimming the back end a touch and filling the left side a little. Was counting on the paint to hide it a bit better, but it didn't. No worries.

@skarnir - I was counting on the paint job to pull it together. A lot of time was spent dry-brushing, which is probably the easiest painting technique we have, but also the most tedious. Roks should be good practice.  :yes  I went with: base coat-charadon granite/overbrush-codex grey/dry-brush-fortress grey and it turned out better than I had expected. I kinda thought I'd be adding in some random colors for variation.

@BB - :lol love the science-y reasoning! The finish coat is annoying only because it makes this piece stand out from the rest of the fleet which was overcoated with Testor's Dull-cote, the best matte finish in the universe. And a quick coat of that will sort this once and for all (after I fix the other stuff and find some dull-cote. It's getting tougher to source these days.

@Gun-wun - yeah, good to have it "done".

Again, thanks, ladz!

hakbash

hakbash

WAAAGH da...

• Nobz
  • 6,336 posts
  • Army Name:Hakbash's Goff tribe, da Iron Gobs

Mad Grot ya zogger dat Ulk is proppa if ya ask me. Jobs a gud un. Givin me all kinds of inspiration an stuff.

WAAAGH! da Ulks

• Mad Grot Docsnik and jackdoud like this
"If yer aint green, black wearin, check luvin, ded ard, smack talkin, PK hackin, choppa swingin, killa kan stompin, slug pistol shootin, skar covered, grot kickin, dread bashin, skumgrod krumpin, close combat machines den yer aint proppa." - Hakbash

WAAAGH! Da...

Warlord Hakbash