Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

da Mad Grot builds an 'Ulk

- - - - - #hulk #bfg

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

Erm, ahem, no, I did not abandon the gob... I literally forgot about it. Yes, da Mad Grot is getting senile. :blush

I will have a rummage for some sufficiently small chain because I really like your drawing. Well not the drawing, cuz it looks like it was done by a 4-yr-old with an extra large crayon. But the concept. The concept is a gud'n. :lol The attachment point for the jaw has to come forward though. To the point where the spiky boyz ship emerges from the asteroid. Otherwise it will blow the scale of the gob up to one that the mind's eye will not accept. I mean, it's a third of the ship's length there. :eek

Garslag, I am wondering what your intention with the other sketch lines underneath were. There are other bitz on the bottom of this thing which have not been in any of the pictures. And I was thinking about just that... I tend to be concentrating on adding bitz to the top because I rarely pick it up and look at the bottom. I think I'm comfortable with that because, seriously, how many folks do you know come over and pick up your largest ship with the most hours of work in it and flip it over to look at the bottom of the base? :biggrin

So, me an da 'ulk are now engaged in a staring match as I try to figure the ultimate shape of its gob...

Thanks for the feedback (and the reminder. DOH!)

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,773 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

....... because I really like your drawing. Well not the drawing, cuz it looks like it was done by a 4-yr-old with an extra large crayon.

Touch screen for da win wonk :lol

ps I'm not at all sure that Orks are familiar with the term 'oversized' ;)

Garslag

Garslag

Steel Hornz

• Boyz
  • 631 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
Yeah, I thought I didn't explain myself well.
What I was trying to ask was whether some further detail around that bottom ship would make it look more at home, less sticky-outy? Just a thought.
"Parry the 6!"

Gun_wun

Gun_wun

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 55 posts

Gobs, Gobs, Gobs,,,,....Dey me Achilles Heel! I've lost more sleep and time over fighting with Gobs.  The problem for me is they really are the icing on the cake.  Done right an the Big Boss gonna be all grunt-in an happy like, done wrong an it's da drops fer ya!  I'll try to send some good Mojo your way. 

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts

So, buildin an 'Ulk seems to 'ave loads to do wif NOT buildin an 'Ulk. To that end, here are pictures of 24 fightabomma squadrons...

Fightabommaz.jpg

...and Gorbag's Revenge if you get hot dice in the Ordinance Phase, i.e. max torpedoes and max fightaz. The 'umies get all sorts of nervous when they see this.

GorbagsRevengeOrdinance.jpg

Okay now that we got that out of the way, I have actually worked on the hulk a bit. It is intimidating and I have had times where I've just sat down, looked at it and got up and walked away. :sowhat I've slowly been adding buildings and turrets here and there all over the surface. I've taken some close-ups without any flash or additional lighting so you can see them. They still blend in amazingly well in the pics, but they are there. I finally bodged together a giant gob and you can see it here sticky-tacked in place along with the cookie monster eyes that are supposed to summon up the orky face. Despite the fact that the spiky boyz cruiser makes it less face of Mork and more angry chicken, I kinda like it. So far I am inclined to stay with it unless I get horrified feedback from you ladz.

Ulk_WIP_3.jpg

I'm still not calling this done and I plan to continue adding bitz and bobz here and there for a while yet. I am resisting the urge to "just call it done" even though this is on my January Painting Threat. So the beat goes on...

• Sproston Green and skarnir like this

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

skarnir

skarnir

Steel Teef

• Blood Axez
  • 677 posts
  • Army Name:WAAARGH SKARNIR
More turrets, MORE!!!
This build is looking great.
The Gob looks nice. I would have went with a bigger one myself but each to his own!

The Gorbads revenge is the only battleship I used to field myself. Flanked by a few Terrorships and swamp your enemies with fighta bombers.

May the Enemies blood on your choppa never dry or your welding torch grow cold!

Ork Tactics by Laughterofthegods

https://www.dropbox....actica.pdf?dl=0

http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50985

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,773 posts

The Gob looks nice. I would have went with a bigger one myself but each to his own!

Gotta agree with skarnir on that, the size of the wrecked spiky ship makes the gob you've built look (to me at least) as though the boyz have just boxed it in - any danger of making a cardboard mock-up of a larger jaw and putting up a photo of that in place?

The surface of da rok is busying up nicely, if you want it busier how about making some square 'spikes' out of Milliput and wrapping some ally mesh round them to make shield generator pylons?

Garslag

Garslag

Steel Hornz

• Boyz
  • 631 posts
I actually rather like the gob in its current configuration.

I will continue to advocate for more buildings and bits of broken ships right up until the moment you start priming. It sure is getting there though, and i expect painting will highlight the buildings better.
"Parry the 6!"

Garslag

Garslag

Steel Hornz

• Boyz
  • 631 posts
BTW. .. when you speak of fightabommas, are these fightabommas in the 40k sense of the word? If so, they're rather bigger than i imagined they'd be at this scale.
"Parry the 6!"

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts

@skarnir & Badfang - Okay, I figured I was going to catch it for the gob. I did mock up a cardboard one and didn't like it at all. With the attachment point on the asteroid it becomes a truly huge gob which would be close to Kroozer size in and of itself. And I have issues with a "working part" which is a third the length of the vessel. :eek I mean, I would've had to add turrets and what-not to the gob! So I scaled it back a couple times (in cardboard) and ended up with this. I think I'm going to stick with it at this size and try to earn back you ladz respect with the other additions... which I have to say I :love  the idea of shield generator pylons and I am noodling out exactly what I want to do to achieve that.

@Garslag - I am also expecting that the paint will make all the smaller details pop... in fact I'm counting on it or this project will be a grave disappointment to all of us. ;)

As for the fightabommaz, it's not clear that BFG equates to 40k in this respect. I mean these are spaceworthy ships as opposed to atmospheric flyers, so the wings are somewhat gratuitous. And I suppose it's chance that there's a crossover in naming because they serve as both fighers and bombers in BFG. And, yes, you are quite correct on the scale being a bit whacked. But then BFG scale is a bit whacked in that Hulks are big enough to have a gravity well and yet ride the same base as a Battleship. So, like 40k's "heroic scale", BFG is about what looks good rather than some set scale. All that being said, I started with the GW beakie assault boat model, stuck some wings on it and some guns on the wings and voila! a model that speaks ork to me. And they do look dead sexy on the table... always get a reaction from my scumgrods. :thumbs

***EDIT*** just scolled back and looked at the pic of Gorbag's Revenge... those little tubes on top are the dorsal launch bays. So, yeah, just about anything is going to be "too big"! :lol

Thanks for all the feedback ladz. The help is much appreciated.

Gun_wun

Gun_wun

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 55 posts

Gobs, Gobs, Gobs..........  I gotz ta say I agree with Skarnir an Krumpry.  I'd like to see more.  It doesn't fill me with dread.  Not to bash your work (cause I'm a fan, and having me own problems.....) but overall the Gob feels weedy.  My money is to take another stab at it (or 4) but it's yours and I get it.  Sometimes only you can see what nobody else can.  For me Orks are about excess.  1/3 rd of the ship?  Da boyz be all riled up den!  Who cares if it works as long as they believe it works. (Den me pocket o teef say-in it'll work real propa like!)

Ulk_WIP_3.jpg

for some reason I've gotten real into chin squigs, plates and what have you hanging down.  I'd like to see the space where the Chaos ship meets the potato hidden with junk.  It sticks out in my mind and takes away from the overall shape.  I think it's coming together  and was going through withdrawals because you hadn't posted in a few days. 

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts

Hi all, as the end of the month closes in, I fear that I have sunk my Noo Year painting threat by including my 'Ulk in it. First off, apologies, but no pictures. Progress has been made. However there is still no gob, nor a decision on one. I have made a couple more attempts, but just can't bring myself to slap a huge, honkin', cruiser-sized gob on this thing. I am still looking at alternate configurations tho, so don't despair, the angry chicken is not a definite thing.

Now that I've told you what I've not done, I can assure you that I have done substantial work on this. It is at the point where it is extremely difficult to pick up because there aren't many places left to put my fingers without crushing something. I have had to replace a gun barrel more than once due to mishandling. :scowl I have added a few more buildings and the rest of my turrets. I will need to smash-mold some more. I also went to town with the field generator pylon idea. I turned my Dremel into a lathe and turned a half dozen or so pylons out of round sprue using my metal files as cutters. Bit of a fiddly operation, but with some practice it produces reasonable results. Overall it looks a lot more bristly. :biggrin Oh and there are considerably more dangly bitz, so if someone does pick up the model it's not just bare asteroid underneath. Some of it also appears from the topside view and contributes to the overall visual clutter, so that's a bonus.

A good portion of why I am foregoing pictures this time around is that the small detail just doesn't show up. It's there, but it doesn't give the same visual impression as it does in person. :sowhat And lacking a new gob it seemed like wasted effort to take pics. So there it is. Nothing really for you guys to comment on. Just an update.

@Gun_wun - excess is good, I got that. Some is good, more is better, too much is just right. :yes However, I can't unhitch the practicality engine in my head that says you're not going to add a cruiser sized chunk of metal to a fighting machine unless you get a kroozer's worth of fight out of it. That means populating it with guns and torpedoes and wotsitz because it's too damn expensive (mass-wise) for a glorified boarding plank. Adding all that other stuff is almost a whole additional build... which is not on the cards. Still I am looking at beefing this up, because 3 out of 4 meks agree - it's weedy. :)

I will take a moment and say thank you to all the "massive gob" proponents. Even if this thing ends up as the angry chicken it will not be because I did not take your advice under consideration. More likely because I just couldn't pull off a proppa gob.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,773 posts

However, I can't unhitch the practicality engine in my head that says you're not going to add a cruiser sized chunk of metal to a fighting machine unless you get a kroozer's worth of fight out of it.

Don't suppose you've got a spare krooza you can chop in half ;)

• Mad Grot Docsnik and skarnir like this

Gun_wun

Gun_wun

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 55 posts

I get it MGD as I'm on my 3rd Gob (on my current project)  and still chasing me tail!  Gobs are tough, at least that's what I've discovered the hard way fer me.  I agree with populating it.  Always more work to do.  When does wun call da project a good-un an move on?  I guess that rests in the eye of the Mek whos build it is.  Having a community of Gitz nagging you really helps, but can also create some weird pure pressure.  No worries bro,  build on as it's yours.  I just want to see some pictures!  I had no idea that building a ulk was a rite of passage................... (until I decided to tackle wun).  It would be easier ta snatch a rotten toof from a cross eyed Rippa Squig during scrap time than pull a good Ulk out of me hat.  Keep going my friend, it will work its self out and be what it's going to be.

• Mad Grot Docsnik and Badfang Brassaxe like this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,773 posts

Totally agree with Gun_wun there, the other thing to bear in mind is that no proppa mek is ever entirely finished with a build - they're only ever 'gud enuff fer now'

• Mad Grot Docsnik likes this

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts

Imajust drop dis 'ere. *scurries for cover*

Ulk_WIP_4.jpg

• KillFalcon, Badfang Brassaxe and skarnir like this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,773 posts

*scurries for cover*

Bet he's behind dat rok :lol

It's busied up nicely - probs about time fer some primer and a quick drybrush to give a clearer pikcha ov wot's goin' on :?

skarnir

skarnir

Steel Teef

• Blood Axez
  • 677 posts
  • Army Name:WAAARGH SKARNIR
I see the Terror of the space rooster is not far away.
  • Mad Grot Docsnik and Badfang Brassaxe like this

May the Enemies blood on your choppa never dry or your welding torch grow cold!

Ork Tactics by Laughterofthegods

https://www.dropbox....actica.pdf?dl=0

http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50985

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,773 posts

Would be tempted to call it Klucking Hell :lol 

• Mad Grot Docsnik likes this

Gun_wun

Gun_wun

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 55 posts

Dis ere build is coming together.  I wish I was half as close as you wif me own Ulk...........  Now my problem is I'm a tad OCD and have this tendency to tweek with stuff to the point I destroy it and end up back where I started from.  I stomp me feet, jump up and down, hit me ead wif me fists and start ova again an ova again.  So as I nit pick yer work take it for wot you will.  I'm probably not the best git ta listen to fer advice as S@#$ is neva right.  Ok den.  I think your teef on the Gob are much better, but I'd make them a wee bit bigga.  I think they need to come over the front bumper lip instead of sitting on top of it.  I'd leave what you have and cut some plastic card to lay over the top of you existing teef.  It will give them more presence an elp put a good scare on da fings in da warp.  I love yer Squig beard, but as I said before I'm really into chin squigs.  Not sure why, but I iz! I'm really digging yer force field poles.  Consider them looted.  There is still that glaring spot where the Krooser meets the ulk proper.  I'd like to see some fing there ta fill the space.  It's not sitting in me own greedy little hands so all I have to go off of iz pictures and perhaps it will be just fine once it's painted.  It just feels odd, empty.  Ok, the only other thing I got fer ya (an take it as ya will) Is you need a good chewing.  I'd take a blade ta the squig beard, da Kroosers an yer tusks and well just drink some whiskey (ok, maybe don't mix whiskey and blades) and just give it a good work over.  Oh, 1 more (told ya Iz struggle wif da good enough) you need some small side teef on dat Gob an perhaps a plate or two. I'd also be curious as to wot Badfang does to get his texture on his 28mm scale builds.  I've contemplated if throwing some sort of texture spray or what ever E uses would give a hulk a good feel and help tie everything together.  So thats me two teef worth.  I love your project and it inspires Dis Git to build!     

Ulk_WIP_2.jpg