Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Gigantic Squiggoth Conversion WIP

- - - - - Gigantic Squiggoth WIP War Mumak of Harad Conversion Savage Orks

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,420 posts
  • Army Name:Mad Miks motor'eads

Close to completion but ran out of superglue, and everywhere is closed today for some reason!

My WIP Scratch build Ork Snakebite Gargantaun Squiggoth from a LOTR Mumak, nearly complete now..

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this

When all else fails Panic
If that doesn't work...then you know you're up to your neck in it!

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,420 posts

Right, it's probably too late to chime in with this thought, but I'll throw it out there for future reference.  You comment about NMN and finish work prompted me to think about doing hair/fur with milliput. It is very do-able. Sculptors do it all the time. Can be a bit tedious on a large model, such as this, but is really just a finishing technique. Sort of like what interior finishers do with spackle on ceilings... slap it up there and make whirly patterns in it with a trowel. Milliput can be "thinned" with water to the point where it's a paste. Slather that in your hairy areas (steady, ladz, on the model, ladz, on the model) and then use a toothpick (and other high-class sculpting tools) to make hair patterns in it. Really pretty easy stuff to do. To reduce some of the tedium you don't have to make the whole beast furry.

Just another stray thought from a mad grot.

I decided to try the NMN out at sculting hair. I decided to try it on one of the dinosaur models I used for the Big Squiggoths as they cost only €10 each so are a lot cheaper than another mumak if they failed miserably. So far, so good. The end result is looking well. I'm just waiting for the model to dry so I can base coat it. (pictures soon) but I can already see the hairy effect taking shape. I looted your suggestion of a high class sculpting too ie a toothpick to make hairy patterns. It only took a few moments to slap it on and make pretty patterns.

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,420 posts

I decided to try the NMN out at sculting hair. I decided to try it on one of the dinosaur models I used for the Big Squiggoths as they cost only €10 each so are a lot cheaper than another mumak if they failed miserably. So far, so good. The end result is looking well. I'm just waiting for the model to dry so I can base coat it. (pictures soon) but I can already see the hairy effect taking shape. I looted your suggestion of a high class sculpting too ie a toothpick to make hairy patterns. It only took a few moments to slap it on and make pretty patterns.

I also used the NMN to stick the whole model together which worked fine and saved me a fortune in superglue. To be honest, I ran out of superglue on Xmas day and no where was open to buy more so I started messing with the other model and a makeshift Skyshiled Landing pad from an old Quality Street hexaganol Chocolate box, just to keep me from getting bored until I could get some glue and finish the Gargantuan Squiggoth

• Mad Grot Docsnik and Badfang Brassaxe like this

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,420 posts

Here are some pics of the completed Gargantuan Squiggoth and the stages that got it there, plus a couple of the furry Big Sgiggoth and Landing Pad so far

https://youtu.be/LUjsT5sDj3M

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gigantic Squiggoth, WIP, War Mumak of Harad, Conversion, Savage Orks