Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Askari Legion Big Trakk

- - - - - Big Trakk Askari Legion

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)

First post for latest pictures.

IMG_7129.png

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Making a big trakk for my secret santa. Pic is built and primed, but without tracks on (using 1/35 duckbill Sherman tracks.) Barry (the baritone) for scale.

IMG_7126.png

I plan to distress only a little, put a camo pattern on it, and limit detailing so my recipient can paint to suit his force. Need to finish soon since this thing needs to get mailed.

This is a combination of MDF and 0.06 inch (1.5mm) styrene, laser cut. The center section was done quickly in an hour or so, but the track sides I spent hours prototyping for my big track project, which I am not currently fully enamored of. Sadly, if I had more time, I would make it look less like a big rhino. More pics to follow.

The rivets on the sides (and on the insides) are negative space rivets, carved out by low power (not cutting through) with the laser. Hard to tell from this angle, but it is open topped, with the opening currently taped over, so the inside does not get painted the outside color.

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Rattle cans and blue tape for the win.

IMG_7128.png

IMG_7127.png

Blue tape in these shots covering up the name of the Waaagh the vehicle belongs to. Next need to hit these with a heavy matt coat, a wash, and some exposed metal where the bullet dings are, and on the worn/damaged edges. The interior still shows the primer red, since the grots were not ordered to put any camo in there.

After I slip the tracks on and some weathering powder, I will probably pack it up for the journey to my giftee. Hopefully by this weekend.

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Earlier prototype version when I was thinking of having actual wheels on the bottom and top of the track unit. Above the track unit are the nine sets of 1/35 Sherman duckbill tracks (mostly T51). I am currently thinking of making the tracks out of living hinges instead of bought ones (since bought tracks are about $10 ea new and I am cheap.) I also want the tracks wider (like the FW Big Trakk.)

IMG_7049.png

The slots next to the door are for a sponson to clip on.

• Mekaniac likes this

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 616 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
I am endlessly impressed by your forethought and the methodical way you attack these projects. The idea of pre cutting tabs for sponsons is completely alien to me... I just glue stuff onto other stuff!
  • Mad Grot Docsnik and Mekaniac like this
"Parry the 6!"

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Final shots of this big trakk before it goes off to my giftee with some gubbins. Wash is too rough, but not bad for short time.

IMG_7129.pngIMG_7130.pngIMG_7131a.png

Smudged out the name of the army this is being sent to. Tracks are super clean, but I have to leave something for my giftee. /wink

This turret is from the Mage Knight Dwarven Steam Behemoth, which can be a killkannon or maybe supakannon. I use a bunch of these turrets on my battlewagons.

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

Nice job. Someone's getting a real nice addition to their Waaagh. That turret with the blunderbuss style barrel adds a nice old skool touch.

Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

SirTainly

SirTainly

Grot Oiler

• Boyz
  • 160 posts

Looks good, but definitely think it I have nothing better to say on the hull.

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Garr put his pics starting at this post. http://www.the-waaag...=54235&p=715187

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Big Trakk, Askari Legion