Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Not models (strictly speaking)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,750 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

Oi, ladz, while this post does not contain recently completed orks I think it goes in the Rack for several reasons.

1. it's orky
  2. it's a completed work
  3. it contains lots of finished orks
  4. it's been my method of procrastinating on finishing another orky project
  5. um ... and I sez so

So what I did was spend a few days revamping my web site as an exercise to update my knowledge of web languages and protocols. I run my site off a computer in my living room, so this is (and has been since the late 90s) a garage band kind of hobby of mine.

A by-product was some cosmetic surgery for my Orks' web page, 'ere. I am not a web designer, so my color choices are often suspect and it probably doesn't look terribly professional. But the techy bits are pretty okay and there's some fun coding going on behind the scenes. Which is what I was supposed to be getting out of the project anyway.

Almost everything in there has been posted to the Waaagh before because this is where I've always hosted my pictures from. In fact, the site is riddled with links back to some very old threads, competitions and such. So for Waaagh Old-timers it might spur a trip down memory lane.

Have a look if you've some time to kill. Any and all feedback is welcome. I may not be a web designer, but I'd like to improve those skills too.

And because I feel guilty about posting in the Trophy Rack without supplying at least one bit of eye candy... 'ere's da Fousand Tribes Waaagh circa 2010. It has accumulated some units since then and shed a couple. Which, if I might mention it, feel free to PM me if there's something in there you'd like to acquire for your own. I am out of 40k and highly unlikely to play ever again (who the hell wants to buy a new rule book every couple years when you only play one or two games a year?) so these are all effectively display models!

:cheers

TTW01.jpg

• Sproston Green, morfangdakka, derry and 5 others like this
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

DocNuK

DocNuK

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 959 posts
  • Army Name:no name - why a name when i never really play

i see a lot of the iconic stuff from scarpia and Kr00za.

stuff from the beginning of the waaagh.

• Zagursnik likes this
In the end, it was the Sunday afternoons he couldn't cope with, and that terrible listlessness which starts to set in at about 2:55, when you know that you've had all the baths you can usefully have that day, that however hard you stare at any given paragraph in the papers you will never actually read it, or use the revolutionary new pruning technique it describes, and that as you stare at the clock the hands will move relentlessly on to four o'clock, and you will enter the long dark teatime of the soul.

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,750 posts

True enough, Doc. When Scarpia left 40k I acquired the remainder of Warboss Bob's Killa Konvikts. I would also like to mention that I have also acquired your Looted Tin'ead burna squad. Though not pictured here (because it came to me much later) it is a favorite of mine and is displayed with pride in my display case. I don't know if you ever created a thread for it, I couldn't find one. It was a Sekret Santa for another friend of mine, dakkabu, who has also abandoned 40k. There is a mention of it in this thread, but the pictures were lost when da Waaagh moved.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wartrukk Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,687 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Impressive looking 'Display Army' :eek

I've only recently got back into playing 40k due to attending a WaaaghMeet about a year ago and even though I also can't be bothered buying a new rulebook every couple of years or so they're usually sufficiently similar that somebody will know what has changed and what happens next - or we could just ask a GW staffer :lol It's a fun weekend, especially since our table seems to get a lot more attention than everyone else's........not bad for an underpowered faction :D

Guess I'm just saying that unless you need the room or you've completely gone off wargaming I wouldn't recommend getting rid of them just for the sake of it :rolleyes

ps. Only a casual visitor to websites but yours looks fine to me :thumbs

• Garslag likes this

DocNuK

DocNuK

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 959 posts
  • Army Name:no name - why a name when i never really play

mad grot, after learning that you acquiered  this builds from scarpia and kr00za, i allways imagened you in a role as a custodian of the art others had build.

both are some kind of rolemodels for me. they had the ideas first and the ability to put them in shape.

why not be this custodian?

;)

ps. i have a few pics on my harddrive from the tin'ead burna rhino thing and the rigged tin'eads. if you want them i can send them to you.

sekret santa was the possibility to try out mad ideas and take short cuts i would never do while building things for my army. like a MAN on roller blades or a crashed stormboy or my favourite, the ambulance trukk for eddie the troll.

In the end, it was the Sunday afternoons he couldn't cope with, and that terrible listlessness which starts to set in at about 2:55, when you know that you've had all the baths you can usefully have that day, that however hard you stare at any given paragraph in the papers you will never actually read it, or use the revolutionary new pruning technique it describes, and that as you stare at the clock the hands will move relentlessly on to four o'clock, and you will enter the long dark teatime of the soul.

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 4,800 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun
That ambulance is a beauty...

So much forum history. Great to see it all in one place ;)

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,750 posts

Doc, please send me the pics that you have of your tin'eads. I would love to put them up on my web site. You can find my email address on my profile page.

I have, in a way, become the custodian of Waaagh history. I have collected some amazing pieces -- almost by accident. I probably have pieces from a dozen different Waaagh artists. And I love them all and display them proudly. But I have also always attempted to "spread the love" by joining the Sekret Santa and otherwise selling or gifting pieces to people who truly appreciate them. In fact most of my best work is no longer in my possession.

Anyhow, I may not be able to continue to house and display this army as I am forced to downsize my living conditions. I do still respect these models and the artists they represent so despite being in financial straits I am not dumping them on eBay or anything silly like that. I will only let them go to good orky homes. :biggrin In the end, if I am forced to off-load the remainder of the Thousand Tribes Waaagh, I will find someone on the Waaagh who will take over the position of custodian, just as Scarpia did with me.

morfangdakka

morfangdakka

tougher than a cybork

• Deathskullz
  • 1,402 posts
  • Army Name:Morfang's Big Stompa Mob

God it is good to see all that great stuff in one place.  I would take some of that off your hands but like you I don't play 40K enough anymore and it would still be a display army for me as well. 

QUOTE (eddie the troll @ Mar 24 2010, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, the Venerable Morfangdakka. It has a certain feel to it.

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

Alienerd

Alienerd

Wartrukk Gunner

• Grot Rebelz
  • 1,678 posts
  • Army Name:Rebel Grotz

That is a lot of history! I love looking through the old threads (with hopefully surviving pictures), but I have to say it makes me cringe and twitch when I find old comments of mine from 8/9 years ago. I was a young teen back then, and I can't say that every comment I made was as well written and thoughtful as they could have been. A lot of the masterpieces pictured above spurred my interest in orks when I was fairly new to the hobby, so seeing them all brought together is an awesome sight!

• morfangdakka likes this
How many kans can a killa kan kill if a killa kan can kill kans?

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,750 posts

That's amusing Alienerd and one of the strangenesses of the Internet. It records our history in minute detail. I know individuals who have dumped their facebook accounts to start new ones at age 25 because they were just embarrassed by the old content. Not that they had done anything wrong or really stupid. Just that we all feel a bit foolish looking back at our earlier selves. I'm ancient and I still get that feeling browsing my own web site. I see how far I have come since my introduction to greenskins. The old entries are a bit embarrassing (my first couple of crappy squighounds!), but they are history. I prefer to look at them as proof of progress. :lol

I love the old threads too. It's sad that so many of the pictures have been lost.

• Garslag likes this

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,553 posts
  • Army Name:Da Blue Thunda Speed Freeks

Love to see one of those models in there that I worked on! Hopefully it holds a candle to the rest of 'em! :thumbs

• Mad Grot Docsnik and Zagursnik like this
______Agatheron \_______
--Remember, long, uncontrolled bursts,
and indiscriminate target selection.
____________________________/

http://chaplainsbrush.wordpress.com/

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,558 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd

Such great stuff. I really like your write ups on the history of some of the models. :thumbs

• Mad Grot Docsnik likes this
"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,750 posts

@Aga, hold a candle?! The Krooza Battlefortress is a true Waaagh Klassic and is the centerpiece of da Thousand Tribes Waaagh. The standard that I try to bring my pieces up to. I must say I would like to add a painted picture of the attack squig I sculpted for you to my web site. I know getting you to post pictures is like pullin' teef, but I'm askin nice. I've done half a dozen squigs for folks and have never seen them finished.

• Zagursnik likes this

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,553 posts
  • Army Name:Da Blue Thunda Speed Freeks

You're too kind. I'm always looking at improving my game. I won a Golden Daemon in 2002 and have been trying to earn it ever since :P Thanks for posting these. I'll see what I can do about the Squig. Things got shuffled about in the move out west. :)

______Agatheron \_______
--Remember, long, uncontrolled bursts,
and indiscriminate target selection.
____________________________/

http://chaplainsbrush.wordpress.com/

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,750 posts

...and because I somehow got the gumption to do so... here's the new Waaagh of a Thousand Tribes pic (and I have updated the site accordingly, although not accurately :biggrin ).

TTW_20161201.jpg

• Agatheron, DocNuK, Zagursnik and 2 others like this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wartrukk Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,687 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Love the unifying theme - loot EVERYTHING :lol

Proppa orky :thumbs

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,750 posts

:lol Hadn't really thought about that until you mentioned it, but, yeah, dis could be a very bloo-faced Waaagh. The only ones unrepresented are da spiky boys. We've got panzee (both dark and light), beakies, umies, tin'eads, and fish'eads (very lightly represented). There's no spiky boys' crap in here because they ain't proppa. They've let the side down in every Orkfest I've been in. Deyz weedy gitz and we ain't havin' none o' dat.

Otherwise, if it ain't bolted down, it's ours. And if is bolted down, I got a wrench handy.

:thumbs

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,750 posts

*sigh* Just about the time I was congratulating myself for having a reasonably accurate inventory of all the ladz, I went rummaging for some basing material and discovered another box full of boyz. Looks to be about 50 or so of 'em. Tallarn-themed Tankbustaz and Sluggaboyz with a sprinkling of nobz and wot-notz. Pretty sure I could field two green tides if I were ever brought to the table again. Anyone short on boyz wanna take some of these off my hands? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 4,800 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun

MGD did pretty much loot everything Scarpia owned. He acquired it "accidentally" that's the word a Grot uses when they're afraid of a Deffskull finding out they're the second best loota in Orkdom.

• Mad Grot Docsnik, derry, jackdoud and 1 other like this

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,418 posts
  • Army Name:Mad Miks motor'eads

Very nice army there. Some really nice pieces in there. In particular love the battle fortress and the drop pod but so much other good lootables in there too. :love

When all else fails Panic
If that doesn't work...then you know you're up to your neck in it!