Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ork compatible/enhanced terrain

- - - - - terrain

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)

Placeholder for latest pictures.

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Not sure if this topic really belongs here. I am working on terrain meant to be usable as Middle Eastern and/or North African. But, I plan to make Ork-flavored gubbins for the buildings, various add-ons, details, and other non-permanent enhancements.

To get started, I divided my best terrain, that is done or close. Durability and closeness to tabletop completion were also key factors to consider. I plan to get all four tables worth of terrain to a playable level, then start enhancing each with extras that improve the visual appeal. My current group only plays painted, and most bring extremely nice armies to play. At first these tables will not be as nice as the armies on them, but I plan to keep upgrading components till the table starts to look fantastic.

In terms of restrictions, each table worth of terrain needs to fit inside a 20 gallon flip top container, hopefully with enough variation that many interesting arrangements can be made. The plan is for 20-30% of the components in the bin to NOT be used in any given game. If possible, I will later make double sided table coverings, or include two different ones, to provide even more variation. Each table is named, so it is easy to select the right bin when going to play, and to have a theme to work with.

Some of the pieces in the pictures below have been changed already, and I will have updated pics as I make progress upgrading these tables. For example, the tire walls are distributed between all the tables (and I may need to get more.)

Palm Desert

IMG_6224.png

Industrial Complex

IMG_6221.png

Desert Mission

IMG_6220.png

Desert Village

IMG_6223.png

• Zagursnik likes this

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

I plan to make pallets with various items on them. One use is to put them in the back of my trukks, but also to use next to buildings to increase visual appeal. I have not yet laser cut the pallets, but I have base coated a bunch of wood storage drums, which will need washes, writing, decals, etc.

I have two types of drums. The larger ones are almost unusable and came from a asian dollar store. The smaller ones are much higher quality and are from Casey's Wood Products. These don't look like much now, but should look great detailed and on pallets, maybe even with shrink wrap.

Spoiler Summary: Painting up batches of barrels

Spoiler

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,769 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Looking good (as ever) :thumbs

Overground pipes http://www.manticgam...industrial.html and chainlink fencing (expanded ally mesh used in car bodywork repairs can be cut, stretched and suspended from bits of thin ally tube) is always good for Industrial Complexes.

A company called Diopark make 1/35 scale cactus models which (if you can get them locally) might help with the desert terrain.

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 324 posts

This is looking great so far!  The different themes will work well I think, as you have them planned out here.  I think you've found some excellent pieces to match each area in ways that make sense. 

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Keep the good tips on bits coming. 

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,769 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

I can do that :biggrin Forgot bean tins as storage tanks, could use them for oil storage tanks industrial and possibly double up as water storage tanks for desert.

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Spoiler Summary: First glued pallets, test fitting in trukk, Barry supervising test primed set.

Spoiler

Trukk still has lots of work to do until completion; things like hubcaps, spare wheels, chrome fuel tanks, and more painting detail.

I also need to make the forklift-style attachments that allow a dred or kan to grab the attachment and load pallets like these into trukks

• Snarknit Grokguzz likes this

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 629 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
As someone who spent a good five years driving forklifts fit a living, I must say I'm rather taken with the idea of using dreads with forklift attachments to load trucks. This is not to say that I think it's the safest or most efficient way to do things, but it sure would keep the truck drivers in line!
"Parry the 6!"

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 324 posts

what a great terrain idea! 

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Spoiler Summary: Pallets, barrels, and some test shrink wrapped loaded pallets

Spoiler

• Garr likes this

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Seems like everyone these days makes MDF shipping containers for heroic 28mm. I am a strong advocate of buy vs make when any buyable option is ever remotely acceptable (since time and cost to make don't usually work to make for oneself.) Regardless, for some reason I decided I needed to make some too (in the wee hours yesterday morning.) Below are some friction-fit test copies of version 1. Both short and long versions.

Spoiler Summary: Short and long container prototypes, and palletized barrels

Spoiler

• DocNuK and Garr like this

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Recent progress with the containers, pallets, and other terrrain. First pic shows earlier stockpile and container construction from a week ago. Second, a couple buildings (of the 5 I have made.) Third is construction tonight and much reduced stockpile. Fourth shows palletized barrels, barrel stockpile, 75 or so painted containers (about 50 only constructed in last photo), a bunch of GW terrain accessories, and some O and HO scale train liquid cargo containers. Pallets in rubber bands still need painting. I need to grab different spray cans since I already sprayed the colors that were on hand tonight.

Spoiler Summary: Container construction, pallets, prototype large buildings, cargo for pallets

Spoiler

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

150 containers cut out, 80 more containers constructed, 70 more containers painted.

Spolier Summary: Trays of cut containers and two prototype shanties

Spoiler

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Shanty progress. 50 still just cut. Over 100 base coated (pictured below), of which about 50 with paper roof and about 50 with roof unmounted. Many cans crimped into metal roofing, but not installed yet.

IMG_6949.png

The upside down buildings are ones drying with paper roof glued on.

IMG_6951.png

Example model showing rafters with glue, strip of bag to simulate plastic tarp under roof, and paper roof not yet glued on.

I originally thought I would need to paint and detailed the sides much more, but with the roof tops attracting most attention, I think all that time can be spent focused on distressing, rusting, and weathering the tops.

Almost 300 of the 5 inch containers built of which about 70 are painted

About 30 of the 2.5 inch containers built

About 80 of the 4 inch containers built, with about 30 more are cut

About 50 loaded pallets made, of which about half are shrink-wrapped

About 300 more empty pallets made and painted

About 20 containers made to be shantys constructed

• DocNuK and Snarknit Grokguzz like this

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Glued the roof on all the built shanties (except 1)

Sprayed red primer on many to get the base (paper) layer rusty looking, before I put on small pieces of crimped aluminum cans

Even though the sides of the buildings are much less noticeable with the roof on, I still have a huge amount of weathering to do

These buildings will get cinder blocks and tires glued to the roof, exhaust stacks, wiring, posters, graffiti, and other detailing

IMG_6952.png

Spray painted more containers in batches. Still have many to go, but it is very fast to paint them with rattle cans like this.

IMG_6953.png

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Finally got the first batch of cargo palletized and shrink-wrapped, about 100 pallets. I still need to hit these with a heat gun.

Three pallets are bound with cables. Two example loads in the back of the trukk.

IMG_6954.png

Got the tops of the containers in the last post painted too.

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Rattle can batch painting is fast. This new batch took a couple hours of lazy Sunday work. Only 64 built containers left to basecoat.

Then I have a huge pile of weathering to do on these containers and the shanties.

IMG_6955.png

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Touching up some terrain for a 10 player, 20K points total skirmish this Saturday, Orks (freedom) vs. Imperials (tyranny)

IMG_6958.png

• Garslag likes this

Aslomov

Aslomov

Grot Slave

• Boyz
  • 145 posts
I am loving all this terrain! :)
What did you use to crimp the metal cans with? I have been looking for a crimper for a while now, but they are all far to big a size.
In the grim darkness of the far future there is only little plastic men.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: terrain