Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Grokguzz's WIP Shinanigans

- - - - - scratch builds conversions stompa big mek stompa battlewagon potato head

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 324 posts

I'm imagining this bad boy rolling up on, picking up, looting and converting a tank with the crew of guardsmen still inside.

Hey, now that's an idea.....

Big Mek GobSmasha

Big Mek GobSmasha

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 318 posts
  • Army Name:Gobsmasha's Deffskullz
Interesting work on the stompas, I'll be watching wat you do with Em. The servo harness ideas sounds really neat.

The depth the 'thick' teef on your ram and stompa Gob adds is awesome. Just so happens I'd been stuck for a ram idea on my Looted Russ. Just the inspiration I needed!

Nothing is safe from the spannrz n' bloo paint of da Kings of Loot!

"They can cut but they can't paste"

Check out my WIP Log

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 324 posts

Interesting work on the stompas, I'll be watching wat you do with Em. The servo harness ideas sounds really neat.

The depth the 'thick' teef on your ram and stompa Gob adds is awesome. Just so happens I'd been stuck for a ram idea on my Looted Russ. Just the inspiration I needed!

Oh wow, I'm glad I could help!  All they are is foam core with some plasticard surround.

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 324 posts

So...like this?

IMG_9540.jpg

IMG_9542.jpg

IMG_9541.jpg

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 324 posts

alright--one more night of activity on this before I"m out of town for a few days.

IMG_9543.jpg

IMG_9545.jpg

Garslag

Garslag

Steel Hornz

• Boyz
  • 632 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
Well I realise it might be too late to do this, but I think those servo arms would look even cooler if they were reachng over his head and angled down towards the unfortunate tank Mekaniak mentioned.

Still looks like it means business either way.
"Parry the 6!"

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 324 posts

Yeah...that might be hard to do now.  The bottom pieces of those arms are actually plastic toy water pistol handles, and so they have a fixed shape. There's also a wire going through them as a frame.  But I want to try now, because I agree...I'm just not sure I'd want them *too* low, lest they hide or obscure too much of the stompa proper.  I'll ponder.  I have about a week away from this project so I can think about this.

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 324 posts

Okay!  After a week away, tonight I tinkered and re-positioned the one arm.  The drill will remain where it is, but the grabby claw arm will reach out over the top of this guy, to the front a bit.  Thoughts?

19X6eJ7.jpg

Garslag

Garslag

Steel Hornz

• Boyz
  • 632 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
Yep, I think we've got ourselves a winner. It looks like it's got the range to grab tanks and dreads and whatever else is foolish enough to stand in front of it. Not a bad job on the grabba klaw either.
"Parry the 6!"

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)

I suggest changing the shape of the grey hand grippy part with plates or something. My Ork builds tend to be more successful when the source of the part is not obvious or not familiar.

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 324 posts

Yep, I think we've got ourselves a winner. It looks like it's got the range to grab tanks and dreads and whatever else is foolish enough to stand in front of it. Not a bad job on the grabba klaw either.

Thanks!

I suggest changing the shape of the grey hand grippy part with plates or something. My Ork builds tend to be more successful when the source of the part is not obvious or not familiar.

By "plates", what do you mean?  Are you referring to changing the sprue bitz out for something else?

Nonebutone

Nonebutone

Steel Teef

• Boyz
  • 689 posts
  • Army Name:Geargut'z Mekboyz

Hes referring to the handle from the "Nerf" Gun that still looks like a handle, and recommends adding plasticard to cover up the original components to make it look less like a handle.

So far, I rather like the Trio, I'm assuming you've yet to armor up the Mek one however, the smooth Potato is suspicious to me.

-None

Da Umies say "If You build it dey will come" But every time I build somethin, dey run!.

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 324 posts

Hes referring to the handle from the "Nerf" Gun that still looks like a handle, and recommends adding plasticard to cover up the original components to make it look less like a handle.

So far, I rather like the Trio, I'm assuming you've yet to armor up the Mek one however, the smooth Potato is suspicious to me.

-None

Oh RIGHT!  ha, duh.  Yes, I plan on covering that up with plating or something.  And no, I hadn't armoured the Mek one yet - I generally wait to add armour plating until I"m more or less finished adding structural details (easier to work in armour around the details than the other way around).  That said, over the past two nights I've added armour plates to the Mek.

Thanks for the praise None! I can't wait to have all three painted up and on the table!

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,572 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd

So many rivets to add :whip :lol Such a great use of junk. These are sure to stand out on any table. Very reminiscent of Lorax of the Bleeding Grin's works. :thumbs

"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 324 posts

So many rivets to add :whip :lol Such a great use of junk. These are sure to stand out on any table. Very reminiscent of Lorax of the Bleeding Grin's works. :thumbs

The riveting is my least favourite part, and something I hadn't thought about enough before I started the first stompa. Now that I've got two to do...sigh.  On the second, I've been using the little circular bits from the sprues, because it's free (or rather, I already have those). but that's tedious as sin, and I should really suck it up and go dish out the teef for the proppa plastic rods.

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,572 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd

I should really suck it up and go dish out the teef

Rivets are definitely a labor of love but really are something simple really puts a nice touch on things.  If cutting all that rod depresses you :crybaby too much, These

are simple and a different sort tedious. Though on builds of this scale, a variety of different sizes & shapes of rivets always looks good. 

"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Yeah, Nonebutone got what I was trying to say.

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 324 posts

What about something like this for the arm, to cover up the hand grip?  Fun fact:  it's the outter cylinder from a hair curler!  Dollar store supplies, ho!  (originally I got them thinking of deff rollas...)

IMG_9553.jpg

Also, I'm adding plate armour:

IMG_9554.jpg

And little details, like exhaust pipes!

IMG_9555.jpg

And, last night I started painting the Battle Wagon:

IMG_9556.jpg

IMG_9557.jpg

IMG_9560.jpg

Thanks for viewing and for the feedback!!

• chaoshead87, Garslag and MuzzleKrumpah like this

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

The hair curler works great. I have even used one as barrel shroud to change up the look.

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 324 posts

I wasn't completely satisfied with the Battlewagon - not enough battle damage!  So, I added some strafing bullet holes, lots of rust, more marks where things have sliced, hacked or chopped chunks out from its armour, etc.

xNa2Qt7.jpg

• chaoshead87 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scratch builds, conversions, stompa, big mek stompa, battlewagon, potato head