Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Paintin' kustom warboss (need help with paintin' cybork legz)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Mekaniac

Mekaniac

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 31 posts
  • Army Name:Wurrdakka

Fairly new to the hobby. A few months into buildin and paintin.

Three weeks back convinced myself to build my own war boss. and now I've found myself stuck at the painting phase.

My main question(if I'm in the wrong place, please point me) I went with mechanical legs for my warboss. Now I have no idea how to paint them.

Base coat of leadbelcher. Now I need to grunge it up and make it proppa orky.

Honestly not sure where to begin. please help.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wartrukk Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,688 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Welcome to the Waaagh   :cheers

Since your question is about painting and modelling techniques this is probably as good a place as any, the problem is - what do you mean by 'grunge it up and make it proppa orky.'  :sowhat 

Personally, I'd be starting off like this http://www.the-waaag...=53931&p=707314

Don't know if that'll help  :?

• Mekaniac likes this

r_squared

r_squared

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 341 posts
Have you got any washes? If not get yourself some Nuln oil (black) and Agrax Earthshade (brown) to start with.
I tend to wash any metal area completely in lightly thinned Nuln oil to start, to tone the leadbelcher down and add some basic shading, which also highlights the details.
You can use more Nuln oil in more specific areas to enhance deeper shades as you see fit. I also use Agrax in areas around bolts and rivets as a rusty patina. You can then highlight, or lightly drybrush, with more leadbelcher afterwards.
GW also produce some technical paints, typhus corrosion and the like, that can really add some easy to achieve weathering affects to your models. Check out a few online tutorials on the GW website, or miniwargaming.com, Striking scorpion also has some cracking paint tutorials on YouTube.
  • Mekaniac likes this

Lucio

Lucio

Grot Oiler

• Boyz
  • 168 posts
  • Army Name:Dr Orkenstein's Revenge!

My usual technique is to wash with Nuln oil and then once the wash is dry, lightly drybrush over a bronze colour (Brass scorpion or Sycorax bronze are my usual choices). With the drybrushing use a soft, large brush and ensure the brush strokes are all in the same direction to get a "brushed steel" effect into the flat surfaces. 

The raised areas become a dirty bronze colour, whilst the recesses are dark silver.

I've added a couple of shots behind a spoiler mark to show the effect on my Warboss in mega armour.

The shoulder pad in this shot is a very light drybrush, whilst the axe is based from Warplock Bronze

Spoiler

In this shot, you can see the brushed effect. The biggest secret to this one is an old, worn brush that doesn't give a smooth coat.

Spoiler

Finally the rear armour in this shot shows how the technique picks out the raised surfaces with bronze, but leaves the underlying areas in a more silvery colour. This helps add depth very quickly to a complicated surface without having to spend hours painting the individual colours in.

Spoiler

• Mekaniac likes this

Mekaniac

Mekaniac

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 31 posts
  • Army Name:Wurrdakka

I haven't invested in any washes yet. Unless Typhus corrosion counts. Nuln oil has been on my radar for at least a fortnight. So I may need to pull the trigger soon.

All three of these responses are exactly what I was looking for.

Got overwhelmed looking at all the details and not sure how to pull them out. (Well pull them out without spending hours with my detail brush going over every rivet and crevice)

Thank you Lucio for showing me some pictures of your models.

Badfang I definitely enjoyed looking through the progress of your KaN and Dred. Gave me some great inspiration for when I got to apply color to the metals. I want all my models to look like they'd painted their armor plates several battles ago with plenty of scratchin and weatherin from much smashing.

Much gratitude fellas.

• Badfang Brassaxe, r_squared and Lucio like this