Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Askari Legion Deffkopta Skwadrons

- - - - - Apocalypse Reload deffkopta Askari Legion

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)

Request: Any painting or highlighting suggestions? See my notes below, but I look forward to suggestions from the group.

p.25 of Apocalypse Reload had the formation Deffkopta Choppa Skwadron. I used the Koptas below en masse in 2009 at my Thwarting the Waaagh event. Since then, I have been meaning to go back and make them better. Recently, while waiting to figure out whether to do my bike or skullhamma projects (as I let the trukks bake more), I decided these koptas can get some love.

IMG_5021.png

IMG_5022.png

The top shot is a group pic of the 56 or so koptas. The above pic shows the current color combinations on the three main skwadrons: white, red, and yellow. They will get a airbrush black wash soon, after I pick out a couple more details, such as horns/teef, jacket buckles, neck fur collars (on red), pants (red), sepia wash on jacket (red), and stencils on all. The stencils I am thinking of is roman numerals and checks/dags laser cut to fit top colored sections. I plan to laser cut stencils for rear wings for more checks/dags. The stencil effects will be tiny, but should really take an average paint job in to a much more awesome look. I will just have to be careful to wipe off most of the wash so I won't overwhelm the white stencils.

I have done the heads and arms separate so the painting is far easier. I am tempted to file off the neck nubs and dig out paint on the head sockets so I can easily install the heads with plastic glue. The arms fit on pretty securely and I plan to use a spot of glue to secure them.

I am most concerned that I might overdo the air brush black wash, I will have to practice some first. Post washing I will need to pick out a few highlights and they should be done.

• warhead01 and Big Bad Squig like this

Big Bad Squig

Big Bad Squig

Gnasher (face eater)

• Grotz
  • 86 posts
  • Army Name:Sonz of Gork
Derry, do you ever do SANE projects that don't involve painting thousands upon thousands of models?

On a serious note, I might highlight the yellow a bit more, or put a bit more yellow and white on the corresponding groups to make the differences stand out a bit. Just my opinion though. I'm looking forward to seeing this reach completion!

Who's afraid of da big bad squig?

Lost Legions o'er on B&C:

II: http://www.bolterand...on-project-log/

XI: http://www.bolterand...on-project-log/

Space Wolves: http://www.bolterand...s-space-wolves/

Dark panzee: http://www.dakkadakk...ist/659879.page

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

@Big Bad Squig, Good suggestion. I want to make these pop. But after probably an overly black wash, they may be pretty dull. I plan to highlight a few colors like bright yellow, white, and Ork flesh, but your suggestion to do a good job on the highlights is sound. That is a couple steps away from now though, so it will be a bit.

Current Status

1. neck fur collars (on red) -- done on red, even an extra coat on all others

2. horns/teef -- partially done

3. pants (red) -- done, but need boots now, see 6.

4. jacket buckles --TBD

5. sepia wash on jacket (red) --TBD

6. boots (red) and toe reinforcements (all) --TBD

7. rotors, paint gunmetal the jagged bits (all) --TBD

8. rotors, repair broken ones, repair stems on some koptas too --TBD only a handful though

9. stencils on all --TBD, not even measured or designed yet, ack!

10. touch ups of all colors, especially missing Ork flesh areas -- TBD

11. Wash --TBD

12. Highlights, especially white and yellow and green Ork flesh --TBD (at this point I will be ready to move on, but I need to keep at the grindstone)

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

IMG_5026.png

Status

1. neck fur collars (on red) -- done on red, even an extra coat on all others

2. horns/teef -- done

3. pants (red) -- done

4. jacket buckles --done

5. sepia wash on jacket (red) --done and did pants and other jackets too

6. boots (red) and toe reinforcements (all) --done

7. rotors, paint gunmetal the jagged bits (all) --TBD

8. rotors, repair broken ones, repair stems on some koptas too --TBD only a handful though

9. stencils on all --TBD, not even measured or designed yet, ack!

10. touch ups of all colors, especially missing Ork flesh areas -- done. Will save underarm areas for highlight step

11. Wash --TBD

12. Highlights, especially white and yellow and green Ork flesh --TBD (at this point I will be ready to move on, but I need to keep at the grindstone)

Stand is one of my custom ones made of coat hanger wire glued into drilled out molding. Most are 5 stands, but I have a few 3s too.

• Big Bad Squig likes this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wartrukk Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,687 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

As always - EPIC  :thumbs

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

7. rotors, paint gunmetal the jagged bits (all) --done

Next big step now is to air brush black wash.

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Had a chance to airbrush black wash over koptas, heads, rotors, and hands. After the black wash, I used stencils to paint checks.

IMG_5031.png

Showing before and after checks of pearlized red

IMG_5034.png

Still need to paint teef on about half the pilot heads, but this shows overall progress of the various parts

Gold checks on red, and red on both white and yellow skwadrons

IMG_5035.png

More detailed picture of the koptas with the checks on the three skwadrons and some of the spares.

Outstanding Tasks

1. Teef with brown wash on about half the pilot heads

2. Repair broken rotors 

3. Magnetize buzzsaw kopta

4. Glue in arms and heads

5. Stencil kopta numbers

6. Paint highlights, and I need to make sure to not give up too early (I got Big Bag Squig looking over my shoulder  :biggrin )

7. Couple of light matte coats to protect them

8. Tray insert for storing the koptas

Assuming I get time this coming Monday and make good progress, these koptas should be done by then, or very close.

Future: Box over the rokkits with short gatling resin cast part on front, probably with a way to friction fit

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

IMG_5040.png

Pic above shows latest construction and final look before highlights. Shown sideways on 5 kofta stand. With wash on them they 

look pretty dark, so I cranked the brightness of this pic. If I take enough time and do the highlights right, they should pop.

Outstanding Tasks

2. Repair broken rotors 

5. Stencil kopta numbers

6. Paint highlights, and I need to make sure to not give up too early (I got Big Bag Squig looking over my shoulder   :biggrin )

7. Couple of light matte coats to protect them

9. Find some spare 'umie Sentinel brush chopper arms and make more buzzsaw attachments (maybe with the chopper arms doubled.)

10. Build a box to go over the various rokkit fronts, and use cast gatling guns glued to box fronts to make Big Shoota versions

Detailed Pics

IMG_5041.pngIMG_5042.pngIMG_5043.png

Dazbag Skorcha

Dazbag Skorcha

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 32 posts
  • Army Name:Da Burning Moonz

Thats a ton of them! 

I'Z GOT DA BEST SHOOTAS AND ARMOUR DER IZ   :dakka

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Outstanding Tasks

2. Repair broken rotors 

5. Stencil kopta numbers [Will skip this step]

6. Paint highlights, and I need to make sure to not give up too early (I got Big Bag Squig looking over my shoulder    :biggrin )

7. Couple of light matte coats to protect them [May skip this since tray inserts work well]

9. Find some spare 'umie Sentinel brush chopper arms and make more buzzsaw attachments (maybe with the chopper arms doubled.)

10. Build a box to go over the various rokkit fronts, and use cast gatling guns glued to box fronts to make Big Shoota versions

IMG_5046.png

Flip top bin I store and transport my armies with. This is a 20 gallon bin, which I can go 3-4 layers deep normally.

IMG_5044.png

First tray of 30 kopta slots. Shout out to my buddy Jordan who hosts painting nights on Mondays and suggested the high contrast

highlights that came out well.

IMG_5049.png

Second tray of 30 kopta slots. White tray inserts/dividers are made of .060 inch plasticard/styrene laser cut to fit together

IMG_5050.png

Showing off the highlights

IMG_5051.png

Another angle on the highlights. Calling the painting done. May add options like buzzsaws and big shootas, but done for now.

If I feel industrious, I may build wooden transport trays for these that fit more perfectly in the flip top bins, but I am pretty happy with current solution.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Apocalypse Reload, deffkopta, Askari Legion