Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Rugluds Armoured Orcs.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

warhead01

warhead01

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,117 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gor-Gak !

Last week I was gathering up some models for a gamers flea market and came across my old collection of wfb Orcs.

I remember having may 20 or 30 Armoured Orcs and Ruglud. I liked them as a very solid unit a few editions ago. I went to the GW page and noticed Ruglud's Armoured Orcs are still for sale.

Which book would I need to field them? 

After finding my Orcs I was thinking that might be my next repainting project.

Any help?

Kick me! to see da blog! WWWAAAAAAUGH!!!

Takein' yer place at da top uv da Heap!

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 4,849 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun

Dogs of War are no longer a thing, so they'd just be alternative Black Orcs I suspect.

warhead01

warhead01

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,117 posts

That makes me a little sad. Orcs with crossbows. Best unit ever. Hope they come back in the next edition.

Mr Squiggee

Mr Squiggee

Snotling

• Boyz
  • 123 posts
  • Location:In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Ooztralia
  • Army Name:Ork Air

I agree with your sentiment, but don't hold your breath about the Dogs coming back any time soon.

These are the end times, which in 'real' terms means a significant rationalization of the number of WHFB ranges, done mainly in order to focus their commercial activities on those products based on their intellectual  property (a commercial strategy undertaken in order to maximise profit, obviously).  This is why the High & Dark Elvises are going going gone, and why the currently evolving fluff has Tilea, Estalia & Bretonnia all losing their own identities and becoming part of a greater Skaven Empire.

And, speaking as one who also has a DoW army from way way back, Tilea disappearing from GW fluff simply means that Dogs of War are now only a figment of the fading memories of veterans such as the likes of you and I.  My DoW Pirates came within a game of winning a GT way back when, but like my Clan Eshin Skaven (built using the fantastic Storm of Chaos list), they are all but useless under the current rules.

Your Ruglud's are now essentially nothing more than Arrer Boyz in swish armour, which pretty much puts them on a par with my armies, eh?

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 4,849 posts

Yeah, as the End Times are fundamentally about removing large amounts of old models and characters that they don't want to update, Ruglud's will invariably go the same way. It's likely that many factions are going to be streamlined into the same books, so we're going to lose a LOT of unrepresented units from fantasy, plus all the metal stuff, and likely most if not all of the finecast. Don't hold your breath for fantasy expanding its character.

GW have been in retreat mode since 7th Ed came out. It's all about removing effort, and workload for them. Ultimately, their business model is essentially "Whatever it takes to flog specific plastic kits when we want to flog them" and everything else is lower down the priority list than Mat Ward's subscription to Writing Monthly. That includes writing, innovation and game mechanics. Which are largely about the same value as the design and layout of their books, only that's something not even GW can fuck up at this stage.

So yeah. If you want to run Mercs, I'd suggest doing your own rules for them. GW wont be obliging unless they make a plastic kit with those in mind. It's possible, but I doubt it. All new units need a gimmick. Crossbows would be a valid and sensible weapon option in the right circumstances (especially on well-drilled Orcs) so that wouldn't really fly in GW's Div Department (no, that's not a typo).

That said, Mr Squiggee has reminded me that currently there aren't any Arrer Boyz models are there? So potential combined kit come the next Orc and Goblin book. Still, it's been years since I could call releases. There's no method to it these days, just madness.

warhead01

warhead01

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,117 posts

Ya, saw that coming. Used Ruglud abd his boys at a tournament years ago it was fantastic. GW can take Ruglud away but should at least leave his crossbows and armour! Arrer Boys suck. I can't ever get them to line up properly. I guess that's all me.

I still have the book they used to be in some where.  Storm of chaos I think it was... I'm sure my guys wouldn't care if I used them and just added the required ruled to make the more current. I expect no help from GW. 

Thanks for the help. I will still get back to my Orcs next year. Likely when the new edition arrives as long as my scrumgrods are up for it.

Gazbal

Gazbal

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 21 posts

Het Warhead01,

Looks like Ruglud and his armoured orcs are part of AOS.

Assuming you don't hate it and some community balance rules eventuate you can use them after all.

Goreshrek

Goreshrek

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 135 posts
  • Army Name:BlooSkullz

Would not be a bad unit in AoS. Similar in stats to Lizardmen Saurus. In AoS you can shoot into and out of combat. Not too powerful. For comparison, Black Orcs are deadly in AoS.

Gazbal

Gazbal

• Grotz
  • 21 posts

Hi Goreshrek.

There is an errata floating around the web now which applies some much needed structure to the game.

The errata has restricted firing into melee.

Basically if you are in melee you cannot fire in the shooting phase.

If your target unit is in melee you can still fire ranged weapons at them, but only on the condition that the closest models to you are not "engaged" with allied units.

Engaged is defined as being within 3 inches and in melee. So the scrum at the front of the melee pack cannot be targeted nor can it be the closest part of the target to you.

If during your ranged attack you wipe out some enemy models and the scrum becomes the closest part, your attack immediately ends and all excess wounds are discarded.

Also whilst Black Orcs are indeed good, I have to say that night goblins are even more amazing than before.

Arm the entire unit with nets and you have a 2 inch melee attack which hits on 4's and wounds on 5's AND the attacker reduces their own to hit rolls in melee by 1.

Sounds ok until you realize that by building a unit of 30 models (plus room for casualties) you'll be hitting on 4's and wounding on 3's. Then it becomes amazing.

This is a great way to throw out a huge amount of attacks (especially considering the small size of our night goblins) but you could point out that there is no rend on these attacks. Very true.

Well that's what fanatics are for!

warhead01

warhead01

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,117 posts

Sorry I missed your reply Gazbal. I did see that Ruglud and his Orcs were back for AoS. 

I'm not sure if I am going to get into that game or not. I've had no time to try it out. 

Is this errata official? Or some ones house rules?

Our Local TO has been playing and reporting his games and one of the more interesting bits, to me, is you more or less choose your models/army as you set it up. My local group is working on comp and restrictions to balance out sides and are trying out a few formats. 

Gazbal

Gazbal

• Grotz
  • 21 posts

No stress Warhead01,

The errata is not official but it is being used by some GW stores from what I understand.

I'm sure you have noticed that the internet is packed full of people creating their own house rules for the game.

Personally I'm willing to give the game a try. I can always go back to 8th edition if I don't like it as they rules are free.

My first game is not until next month so I can only speculate at the moment unfortunately.

How have the games you've been involved in or seen reported been going for da greenskins?

warhead01

warhead01

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,117 posts

No stress Warhead01,

The errata is not official but it is being used by some GW stores from what I understand.

I'm sure you have noticed that the internet is packed full of people creating their own house rules for the game.

Personally I'm willing to give the game a try. I can always go back to 8th edition if I don't like it as they rules are free.

My first game is not until next month so I can only speculate at the moment unfortunately.

How have the games you've been involved in or seen reported been going for da greenskins?

Interesting. I'm glad it isn't an official ruling then. The sillyness of shooting while in Hand to Hand sounded like a good and new mechanic for GW. It may sound bad but this new AoS reminds me of a computer game with mechanics like that. Also Knowing ahead of time that all the new factions will very likely be so much better then the old world factions leaving it in is a small pip for older units in the long term.

I have not yet played AoS. But our local TO was hugely skeptical about it and has been reporting that over all it's a good game. He used to own a Game Shop and has played and demoed so many game over the years. He's got a good mind for games, balance and fun.

One thing he's mentioned is that because there are no point you can simply bring your collection. And build your army as a response to what your opponent sets on the table. ( Another perk for long time collectors) 

This  should still fit into the agreed upon for mat. the number of battle scrolls, units, wound count, heroes and monsters.

He's still play testing and has plans for an event in the near future. 

I've had no time to game at all recently. I am hopeful to watch a game when I get a chance. 

One of my friends has had some bad a experience with AoS but says it's really all about who you play with. I think this is true in every game. 

One thing that has crept into my head regarding AoS is not to play Green Skins. Shocking as it is. Orcs never felt like they played right to me. They seemed far too organized and under powered on the table. Sounds foo I know.

If I play AoS I am thinking about buying the boxed set and then expansion sets after that and treat it like a "game". I like the models they are slick and will be fun to paint but I don't want to over invest in a game and pic an army only to not love it. This will be cheaper in the long run. But it's all up in the air for now.  I am expecting to have more hobby and game time in the fall. 

If I get the chance to play I'll post about it. 

Gazbal

Gazbal

• Grotz
  • 21 posts

Well I'll look forward to your thoughts and also put my own down after my first game.

I have to say that I disagree with you about the Orcs being underpowered.

I really think that the Greenskins are a fantastic army in fantasy, strong and versatile but also fun and full of character.

Whilst no one really knows yet how things will pan out in AOS, I'm pretty hopeful.

Our faction will be "Destruction" which they are toting as Orcs, Goblins, Ogres and Trolls.

So far I have my eye on Night Goblins (nets + Fanatics), Savage Orcs (Big Stabbas), Trolls and Ironguts as some very strong options.

But that said I can understand playing it as a board game and not overcommitting.

I'm not going to buy the box myself at all. Just try out the rules with my current minis and see what the future brings.

I do however think that the Orcs are severely underpowered in 40k. Which is a shame because I love all the gagets they get.

warhead01

warhead01

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,117 posts

I can agree with you a lot. My thinking is just due to having so many Orks and O&G as well. It gets to be a bit much.

A few editions back I was pushing a block of two hand weapon Orcs the size of a codex. As in a movement try the size of a codex. 

My step son picked up Night Goblins for a few years and left me with a large and mostly painted army(!) 

I think I used to feel that the Orcs should have moved like beast men, in skirmish, and then ranked up once they made contact. 
I mostly just had trouble with the rules and keeping everything in order. I never got around to becoming a competent war boss. 

I was thinking the other day about when I got into 40K and how I always wanted models I couldn't get. Old metals and plastics from 1st edition. This is another reason to get the started set. That and if I don't want it I am sure I could sell a fully painted set and make my money back. 

I guess I find it a bit strange to have models, more like a large collection of models that are now unsupported by a game and army book. I think there is a little bit of shock still. (I never thought that would ever happen.) I've said before that if it weren't for Orcs I never would have gotten into WFB. which wasn't a wonderful reason to play. I guess I have been Orks/Orcs of the sake of Orks/Orcs for years.

Gazbal

Gazbal

• Grotz
  • 21 posts

Gotcha,

I usually play one elite army and one mob army so that I don't get stuck in a rut and can enjoy both styles of gameplay.

For me this is Dark Elves and Orcs both in fantasy and 40k.

That said, I can definitely see the appeal of other armies. For myself I nearly started as Ogres instead of Orcs for fantasy (and now I get both woohoo!).

Vampire counts are also a bit of a draw card for me, partly because of the awesome Dracula style fluff and partly because I feel that the last Vamp update was when GW really lifted their game model wise.

I do understand your massive army woes although I doubt I have as many models on the table at one time as you.

As I collect 2 armies for each game my models are more split between the two factions so the issues are not so much as massive amount of greenskins so much as it's just a massive amount of models.

You can still use your current models for the game by the way. I sure intend to.

For me the reason to play this game is that you like playing it.

It's a hobby.

I have a certain amount of money each pay which I allocate to spend on my hobby.

Now I might spend that going to the movies with a friend or have a guys night or something.

Or I can spend it on plastic, glue and paint.

If I was into a sport I might spend my "allowance" on that instead.

Basically this is my fun money and I can and do spend it on the things that make life fun for me.

Sadly this probably makes me an ideal sucker for GW as I don't try to justify my expenditures!

• warhead01 likes this

Lucio

Lucio

Grot Oiler

• Boyz
  • 168 posts
  • Army Name:Dr Orkenstein's Revenge!

Been looking to build a unit of 10 pf these guys for Age of Sigmar using Ork Boyz (for the heavier torso armour) and Sigmarine Crossbows

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 4,849 posts

Shock horror alert: I actually like Age of Sigmar.

I'm still incredibly cynical about where it's going, and as now one has started "paying" for what is effectively re-branding, I see I'm already becoming right about this whole thing.

But as it stands, the game is fun, and it plays okay. I don't think shooting in and out of combat is a problem. I think restricting this is a prejudice brought on from too many other games and is based on Orthodoxy. I like how abstract AoS mechanics are, because that makes them simplistic. There's a lot less rules arguments over AoS than there was for WHFB.

I think the only thing that is needed with this game is fixed Warscroll Size Restrictions. I.e. each Warscroll has a maximum model count. That's it. That's all that's needed.

Regarding rules and balancing, most factions have various power plays they can set up and this game has opened up a lot of potential. The fact that I'm building Skeletons, goblins and gnoblars enthusiastically for the first time in my life says a lot for what this game has over its boring dead brother. That's what I like about Age of Sigmar over WHFB. It's Hobbyist Friendly (and regimental at 28mm is completely fucking stupid). Now if only they'd sodding remember that for 40k.

I feel that Ogre Kingdoms are kind of game-breakingly unfun to play against, but most of my games have been okay, and I've enjoyed taking advantage of synergies.  Granted, Games Workshop are about 5 years behind everyone else who makes wargames, but it is nice to know they notice what the talented ones do every now and then.

Age of Sigmar does need work, but I am enjoying the hobby again, and this is the last thing I expected this game to do. Looks like it might have dragged me back to GW for a while. That is until they fuck it all up in however long that takes for their greed to sink in and start charging for barely passable rules concepts without remotely refining them with the application of intelligence or literacy. In the same mindset that gave us Formations. I.e. the thing that actually ruined 40k so much that even fanboys have noticed.