Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Prepping Resin (specifically Kromlech) models

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Taytonclait

Taytonclait

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 326 posts

Hey all!

So I did some forum and google searching and couldn't find a solid "I've used Kromlech models and this is how you need to assemble them" walkthrough

I recently purchased 40 of their 'ard boyz because I love the models and wanted 2 squads of 20. I have tried a few prepping tricks and couldn't get glue to bond.

I have soaked them in warm (not hot!) water with dish soap and rinsed them.

Used Simple Green (equiv. of Purple Power?) and no result.

brushed them with soap and water with an old toothbrush, no avail.

I know these things can be used and I am excited to use them, but I still feel the slippery-soapy feeling that I believe is from the release agent (it feels the same as they did when I first cut them off sprue)

Oh and I tried gluing them with Humbrol Poly Cement and Testors Cement for Plastic Models

Any thoughts? 

Smash 'em, Bash em, Skin em alive!!

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wartrukk Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,688 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Only ever used Kromlech bits with bits of GW (which normally involves using Milliput 'filler' and superglue). Must be worth e-mailing Kromlech or pm-ing Maciej Kromlech to see what they recommend? 

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,558 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd

I've always used Dawn dish soap (& toothbrush technique as you describe) w/ my Kromlech stuff & haven't had any issue.  And I have a 30+ greatcoat mob, some of the grots & a few of their mehca's. (just as an example of my experience w/ their parts)  This quote is from their website ..."All parts are cast from highest quality resin.Supplied unpainted. May require assembly. We recommend washing all parts before assembly (tap water with mild detergent) and using superglue."

"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

NightHawk

NightHawk

Magnetic Arm

• Boyz
  • 523 posts
  • Army Name:NightHawks
I can't recall having any issues with kromlech stuff before, but whenever I have something that refuses to stick I give the surfaces I want to glue together a decent rub with sandpaper. Usually does the trick
Da Klan Projekt
Blood Axes v1-4 2/1/0

skarnir

skarnir

Steel Hornz

• Blood Axez
  • 661 posts
  • Army Name:WAAARGH SKARNIR
Plastic glue glue with not work for resin, you need to use super glue.

When washing the minis just use liquid detergent for doing your dishes and some warm water(not hot).

I bought an ork trukk kit from forge world recently that was covered in mould release (the greasy stuff)
Using the method above for prep hou should have no problems, the root of your troubles is the glue you are using mate

May the Enemies blood on your choppa never dry or your welding torch grow cold!

Ork Tactics by Laughterofthegods

https://www.dropbox....actica.pdf?dl=0

http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50985

Peredyne

Peredyne

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 15 posts
  • Army Name:Bad Moons +

Plastic glue does not work to assemble resin models. Plastic glue works by melting the surfaces and bonding them together, but only works on styrene models. Resin models have to be assembled using superglue, and it seems that superglue was concocted specifically for resin (I know it wasn't but it sure feels like it was). If the models still have that slippery feel after washing and cleaning, then it sounds like the resin wasn't mixed properly before the pour and it can't cure, so the chemicals are bleeding out to the surface. I've had this same effect from some Armorcast pieces a while back. The paint and primer just flaked right off no matter what I did. I ended up setting them outside lying flat in the summer sun and letting the sun bake them solid for about 3 weeks. Then I cleaned them again and the primer set solid on the next go.

Taytonclait

Taytonclait

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 326 posts

Quick update!

I bought some superglue and Simple Green, and these two products seem to work perfectly.

The superglue, as Peredyne mentions, is magic for resin. Its pretty interesting how one product just rolls off with zero bonding and another is amazing.

A swish in a yogurt cup full of simple green (there were about 18 ork boys and bits in it) and a bit of a sit and I haven't had any troubles with chipping, or paint or primer wearing off. 

Thanks again all!

• Peredyne likes this
Smash 'em, Bash em, Skin em alive!!

Peredyne

Peredyne

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 15 posts
  • Army Name:Bad Moons +

Good to hear you got it all sorted!

Lucio

Lucio

Grot Oiler

• Boyz
  • 168 posts
  • Army Name:Dr Orkenstein's Revenge!

I must be a lucky son of a squig but I've never "prepped" my Kromlech resin stuff, unlike the nasty GW Finecast and FW resins, I've found it's worked for me straight out of the box, with not a lot more mould line removing than normal GW plastic.