Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Askari Legion Trukks (was Trukks from 1/24 scale 1930s cars)

* * * * * 4 votes Trukk DocNuk Askari Legion

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 460 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)

Inspired by one of Docnuk's gunwagons (see link), I see a way to turn the pile of 1/24 scale cars I got on eBay into Ork Trukks.

a-3744-1311940517.jpg

a-3744-1311940555.jpg

The specific vehicle capturing my imagination is the one above.

I don't plan to have the same level of detail and awesomeness

as what DocNuk has accomplished, but I really like the look and hope to emulate it.

Pictures of what I have so far below.

aDSCN0783.jpg

Above shows three of the 1/24 scale cars cut behind the engine (between engine and transmission)

Yellow box on the right is the laser cut driver's compartment

aDSCN0785.jpg

Above: Normal size trukk on the left, test fit in the middle, original length on the right

aDSCN0787.jpg

Above shows the test fit in the middle with a human Barry beside it for scale

Parameters

1. Overall length needs to be very close to a normal trukk, which is 5.5 inches long

2. I have over 20 of the 1/24 scale cars and don't need 20 new size trukks, but maybe I do

3. I don't want to waste characterful parts of the cars if I can just scratch build or laser something equivalent

4. I want the running boards to remain in the final build, since my boyz ride SWAT style

aSwat.Boston.2013.jpg

BTW, this is not the US military making friends in some foreign country, this is Boston, an American city. Note: No warrants were harmed (nor used)

Decisions I need to make

1. Overall length, do I cut the front to be even shorter, about where the spare wheel wells are?

2. I will just make trukks for now, but these could be the start of gunwagons, big trakks, battlewagons, et al.

3. I am thinking of scratch building the passenger compartment and saving the car passenger area for other vehicles, but maybe I should just dremel out the inside for a more characterful build. What do you think?

Scratch built general look:

azis-trukk.jpg

AL12_r069_01.jpg

Another option is for me to stop being crazy and make minimum changes and go for the classic look, maybe even with classic paint job like below. Should I stray from the certainty of awesomeness that is orky goodness?

a1935Bugatti.jpg

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 358 posts

The scale looks good to me. I think either the orky beat-up look or the clean classic car look is fine as long as it matches the rest of the detachment. With so many cars, I would convert them so there is more variety, but you could achieve this with paint too.

Wurg

Wurg

Bag Squig

• Boyz
  • 104 posts
  • Army Name:Wurg's Trukka Boyz

Could you show us all the front ends of all your models so we can take a stab at which ones make for the orkiest trukks?

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 460 posts

@ Wurg: Sure, got a chance to get a couple group shots of all but one. This shot shows the cut ones too.

Most of them in the shot below are still very dirty and with poor paint jobs.

They will soak in Purple Power tonight.

aDSCN0795.jpg

These four are more modern and I probably won't use them in the near term.

aDSCN0798.jpg

I cut some of the front sections in two, in order to test out whether both sections would make good vehicles.

Note: Overall length is about 6 inches which is close to standard trukk length of 5.5 inches.

I could cut the passenger/cargo area a little to get to the exact overall length.

aDSCN0791.jpg

aDSCN0793.jpg

I also made some progress and made a second generation laser cut cab. See some of the mockups below.

I may scratch build the passenger/cargo area for the left vehicle.

Note: I will have to figure out a way to use the band saw to cut them more square.

aDSCN0789.jpg

Below shows the same two cabs with standard turrets (from battlewagon kit) on them.

The larger opening is large enough to fit based mini with the appropriate big shoota or rokkit.

Using a standard based mini means I can them instead of custom weapon mounts for each vehicle.

This is just theoretical though as I think custom weapon mounts on each vehicle adds to its character.

I need to extract the engine on the left mockup since I can use it in another project.

aDSCN0790.jpg

Next Steps?

I think my next step is to build one or two of them in order to get a better feel for what works.

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 460 posts

aDSCN0799.jpgaDSCN0800.jpg

So far this does not look too bad. Used a couple I-beams to support the passenger/cargo area.

Next I need to test fit some wheels. I have some 1.25 inch wheels on order from Casey's Wood Products,

so my progress may need to wait till they arrive.

Decisions

1. I am thinking of putting running boards along the sides

2. I need to figure out how to close the back of the front wheel well

3. I need to trim down or make a new door to the passenger/cargo area

4. Once the wheels arrive, I need to figure out the suspension

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 358 posts

Looks great so far!

Wurg

Wurg

Bag Squig

• Boyz
  • 104 posts
  • Army Name:Wurg's Trukka Boyz

Looking at all the models now, I find myself gravitating towards the ones with spare tires on the sides. Carrying extra tires on the side seems pretty inherently Orky to me, and it's a great WYSIWYG for repair grots or whatever it's called in the new codex. I'd recommend you think about some ways to chop those ones up and use them. I'm also attracted to the ones with engine bits coming out the side of the front.

Out of personal preference, I'd go for the cars with the most straight lines, but that's just my fondness for blocky designs speaking.

Red Skullz

Red Skullz

Magnetic Arm

• Deathskullz
  • 524 posts
  • Army Name:Red Krumpany
You do not halfass it at least in regards to quantity :D
I'm on Facebook and I've got a blog as bigbossredskullz.

Team Anarchy, gaming community (in norwegian).

Spacecat

Spacecat

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Boyz
  • 540 posts

My compliments on a nice batch of trukks with a distinctive style!  Love the retro 30's madmax look.

And random opinions : Don't go for 'classic lines', curves are too T'au, blocky armor's and junkyard chic is better, (like you're doing, love the boxes) and if you use a classic paint job, smother it in dust and rust at -least-.  

The yellow longcar struck my fancy because it has a badass looking engine visible from the side, I would advice you to make not a trukk with that one but... something... different, something fast... Shame our codex has nothing appropriate. It's too racer for a battlewagon, too big for a warbuggy, and that nice long engine leaves too little space for boyz.

You might make a 'Junka' from Forgeworld, a special vehicle meant for Big Meks, can be pretty fast.

Maybe forget about the codex and make an orky racing warcar, for the hell of it.

In all cases, that yellow car engine's got potential. I hope it turns out something special.

Topic for my threats and army: http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=51463
A recipe for Stormboyz done differently: www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=51279

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 460 posts

@Red Skulls. Yes, I do wait to get started when I have a pile to work on at the same time. Unusually, these were all from the same seller and the price was so low I bought it on a lark to see what I could do with them. Normally I have  to accumulate for a long time to get all the bits together.

@Spacecat. Yes, I plan to make connecting hoses from the sides of more of the vehicles, similar to the existing ones on the yellow car. I also think they look awesome and make for a more powerful look. I think your idea of taking one of the uncut long cars and making a classic Ork dragsta. The ones below have a classic 2nd edition paintjob, but the general concept is sound. (BTW, these are awesome, but not my epic minis.)
aDSC00620.jpg

Found some 1.25F inch wheels. Current mockup below. I like the look, but the clearance is a little tight. 
I will mockup with the 1 inch wheels tomorrow, maybe with the front still being 1.25 inch.
aDSCN0801.jpg
aDSCN0803.jpg

Either way I will need to make cowlings, I am thinking something like Sdkfz 231 (8-rad).
But this would be a lot of work. Hmm, what do you think?
sdkfz231_8.jpg

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 460 posts

aDSCN08041.jpg

As promised, this is the mockup with 1 inch wheels (same size as standard battlewagon or rear trukk wheels.)

Note: The roughness of the two rear wheels is because I got the cheap ones (4.5 cents vs 9 cents each per 100.)

I think 1 inch is fine for the back, but the front I will probably go back to 1.25 inch. 

Next Steps:

1. Make actual suspension, so I can check height and maybe have the rear wheels more in line with front ones

2. Mock up 1" back, 1.25" front and take a better picture than these secret pics while my girlfriend is sleeping

3. Start mocking up running boards and wheel cowlings to get a better idea of the overall look

4. Make panels covering the back area (not the iconic Trukk parts) but ones without holes matching the rear SdKfz 251 look)

sdkfz251_conversion.jpg

Spacecat

Spacecat

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Boyz
  • 540 posts

Dragsta sounds good. About the 8-wheeler, I own a scale model of the Sdkfz 231, and I can tell you the damn thing is too long and narrow to make a proppa vehicle. You're better off with a six-wheeler. (Though the general armor style is neat, good inspiration)

I got two small tidbit of advice, which you probably already know but which I mention just in case.

-The wood wheels are a little neat and homogenous for ork issue, you can fix that by applying patches of 'armor' made of greenstuff, or even rolling a layer of greenstuff around the tyre and sculpting regular patterns, which you of course vary.

-Your laser-cut cabins are awesome, but those big rectangular grooves that notch into each other are an eyesore, it's important that you hide those before the end of the build. Liquid greenstuff might help. Orrr that plastic looks thick enough that you could take a big file to the edges and give them a curve. I did that for a '40s style Tow/T'au trukk I built and it looks pretty neat.

Here's a picture of my Tow/T'au trukk, just because it fits the style you have and might inspire you. The core of it was a Devilfish.

tautrukk08.jpg

Topic for my threats and army: http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=51463
A recipe for Stormboyz done differently: www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=51279

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 460 posts
@Spacecat. I was thinking of the SdKfz 231 (8-rad) only in regards to the fenders/cowling/wheel covers (pick the term that makes sense.) Your tip about the wheels is solid and I should not get lazy on them. You are right, a little greenstuff can snazzy them up with little work. As for the cabs and the exposed joints, they are an eyesore, but I think that adds to the effect. Regardless, I plan to file some of the cabs down and distress them more. By the time painting is done, I think most of the Trukk cab joints for many of the vehicles will be pretty subtle.

BTW, Your devilish wrecka is awesome, with great weathering effects.

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 460 posts

Hole in engine cover is for hoses (implying powerful engine.) I made room for hoses in front right cowling

Armored the passenger compartment/cargo area, still plan running boards.

Wheels and axles are just mockup, they will be a little higher once I cut the undercarriage.

The pegs on the back are mounts for the spare wheels, shoutout to Wurg for the good idea.

aDSCN0810.jpgaDSCN0811.jpg

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 460 posts

I made progress on another trukk, built the rest of the generation 2 and 2a cabs I cut, and built some hatches, and doors.

I will need to fill in the gap behind the grey hood, and maybe hack out the side of the passenger compartment to add a wheel.

The grey hood is a little long, making the overall length over 6 inches (with a target of 5.5 inches.) I may need to trim it.

aDSCN0812.jpg

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Warbuggy Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,580 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Not entirely sure what you're going for here, the major thing about those old cars is the long bonnet with stuff like 'straight 8' engines in them so (for myself) I'd be tempted to say 'sod GW's 5.5" - dese are proppa!' and make 'em however much longer the bonnet (or 'hood') is. Looking at your red test hack, the transport deck wouldn't need to be much higher to extend it out over the back wheels and build your mudguards ('fenders') under it, I'd also suggest moving the front axle forwards (about 1/8 - 1/4") to get the wheel central in the arch.

It's a neat concept, looking forwards to seeing what you come up with  :thumbs

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 460 posts

Built some gen 3 cabs and built some more trukks.

@Badfang Brassaxe. You are correct, style over substance in this case, since I am trying to achieve an evocative look. See first build below. I think it achieves more of what you suggest. Ignore the popped hood, it is not fully fitted yet. I still hit the overall length goal of 5.5 inches by having a shorter cargo area. If i succeed with the running boards, less cargo volume will not matter so much.

aDSCN0814.jpg

The next three builds I am working toward will use the shorter front ends, but working toward a semi look like below. Maybe not the big bumper, but with a massive grill.

18-wheeler-semi-truck-2.jpg

The clear acrylic front grills with headlights and radiator grill cut all the way through.

aDSCN0813.jpg

aDSCN0815.jpg

RE Above: Probably need to trim the front wheel guards, but I will see if I can adapt them

aDSCN0816.jpg

RE Above: Just a mockup with the wheels, not sure whether double wheels up front, with a bigger wheel in the back. It certainly implies the engine is most of the weight.

Group shot below to show off fronts. I will probably have to sand the acrylic so paint will stick.

aDSCN0817.jpg

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 460 posts

Completed some more builds, see group shot below

Top left has crazy long engine compartment, almost an inch longer than the tan long engine trukk (middle right)

I will have to paint this as a pimpmobile. Maybe with an ork genestealer hybrid? I have the arms somewhere

I will dremel out the spare wheel wells to handle fat wheels, or maybe use the stock wheels on the pimpmobile

Top right has a mockup wheel setup

Middle right is a repeat, with the hood fitted and removable

aMoreTrukks.png

KNW

KNW

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 492 posts
  • Army Name:The Industral Strength WAAAAGH

I've missed some part of some conversation somewhere, but I must know: From where did you get / how did you make those beautiful hatches?

aDSCN0812.jpg

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 460 posts
@KNW, The hatches are from my Trukk accessory file and from the extras on my Skullhamma small alt turret file. Better pictures below. My skullhamma builds are waiting for me to make a decision on how I will do the main turrets, so I am working on bikes and these trukks instead. The cogs on the small skullhamma turret below are actually my attempt to make the 360 vision ports tanks have (see pic at bottom for vision ports example.) The top two hatches also have a double layer of cogs to simulate vision ports. Next time I will cut thicker material since aligning thin layers does not achieve good results for me.

My goal was to make characterful hatches to make additional variation between vehicles. I already have some custom hatches used on my stock GW battlewagons and the round hatches below are compatible and the same size. Round hatches and doors with holes are for vertical application on the sides of the trukk cabs. The split hatches are to simulate center opening hatches and the square hinges are iffy right now. I could not find round rod, so I tried out square bits left from the laser cuts. I need a lot more hatches just for the trukks rough built already.
aDSCN0820.jpg
aDSCN0821.jpg

Good visibility is crucial for modern tank survival. Vision ports coated with materials filtering out friendly or enemy lasers are also key. Below is an M1A1 Abrams (pre-TUSK 1 upgrade, IIRC, and picture right is front.) On the skullhamma mini turret above, I am working toward the same concept, and the same for a couple hatches with double stacked and aligned cogs. BTW, the red vision ports below are removable. If you want to know more about tank periscopes, see link.
am1a1_details.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Trukk, DocNuk, Askari Legion