Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

stripping minis....

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Mugruk

Mugruk

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 320 posts
  • Army Name:Mugruk Skullbasha's Waaagh

Hi lads. I recently bought about 80 boyz off of e-bay that are badly in need of stripping. It looks as though the paint is caked on. Years ago I used either brake fluid or Simple Green to strip models. Are these still the best things used to strip models or is there a new product/procedure that's better and faster?

Any help is appreciated.

Taytonclait

Taytonclait

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 326 posts
Simple Green is pretty good. If your minis are metal a soak in simple green for a couple days and a vigorous scrubbing with an old toothbrush will do it. Assuming your 80 models arent metal, it may not be as effective. But if the paint is on reaaaally heavy i think it would work well for plastic too.

SG has the added bonus of being non toxic. I wouldnt drink it, but a lot of the toxic fumes from anything like acetone or whatever inside is a real strain on your body. Good luck! And if worst comes to worst...they are the boys who die first
Smash 'em, Bash em, Skin em alive!!

Gorkathustra

Gorkathustra

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 15 posts
Simple green has always worked for me, not sure if it's the fastest way but always works after a few days soak then a good toothbrush scrub.

Mr Squiggee

Mr Squiggee

Snotling

• Boyz
  • 123 posts
  • Location:In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Ooztralia
  • Army Name:Ork Air

Don't laugh, but I just use Coke.

Leave the minis overnight in The Real Thing, and come the morning the sludge can be taken off easily (if messily) using an old tooth brush & hot running water.

• Mik McMok the Mek likes this

Mek Kargob

Mek Kargob

Hair Squig

• Grotz
  • 70 posts
  • Army Name:Kargob's Turbo Gitz

I've ordered Simple Green from abroad before, but obviously I'd prefer it if there were something closer to home I could get.

Any Brits recommend anything that's stocked commonly over here? I've heard Dettol works well.

skarnir

skarnir

Steel Hornz

• Blood Axez
  • 661 posts
  • Army Name:WAAARGH SKARNIR
Dettol will work but its a pain in the arse.
Im on the look out for fair power spray myself, apprently its pretty good too.

May the Enemies blood on your choppa never dry or your welding torch grow cold!

Ork Tactics by Laughterofthegods

https://www.dropbox....actica.pdf?dl=0

http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50985

Mek Kargob

Mek Kargob

Hair Squig

• Grotz
  • 70 posts
  • Army Name:Kargob's Turbo Gitz

Why's it such a pain? Does it make the paint gloopy so you're putting in effort to scrub at it with a toothbrush?

Warboss Binky

Warboss Binky

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 299 posts
  • Army Name:Werk in progress

Another vote for Simple Green.  Acetone is great for metal models, but it will DESTROY plastic ones, fumes, and is toxic.

WBB

"In Armageddon, foist ya gets da teef, den ya gets da dakka, and DEN ya gets da custom mega-blasta."

Attributed to Warboss Gitbad Skarface

Tussock

Tussock

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 10 posts
I am a mechanic and have stripped over 100 models using brake fluid. It takes about 24 hours of soak then a stiff bristle nylon brush or brass brush takes the paint off which peels and flakes away.

Brake fluid is safe for plastics and rubber as vehicle brake systems have seals made of them. It washes off in water and it doesn't leave the stink of dettol on your orks... I have an Ork nob called dettol because of his stench.

gobsmak

gobsmak

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 6 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gobsmak

I used Jif (Cif) Powerspray. I soaked the models overnight. The next day I gave them a quick scrub using more of the fluid. Then I rinsed then under running water and it worked a treat. The paint just slipped off the metal figures, the plastics took a bit more effort. Smelt nice too.

• Mik McMok the Mek likes this

NEVER underestimate the power of a Grot!  :nono

Garr

Garr

Big Gun Krew

• Boyz
  • 191 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Gar'un Mek-Klaw!

I've ordered Simple Green from abroad before, but obviously I'd prefer it if there were something closer to home I could get.

Any Brits recommend anything that's stocked commonly over here? I've heard Dettol works well.

i've used detol plenty, you can throw your minis in a tub full and leave them a week at least without damage or softening of the plastic, only thing you have to remember is do not rinse with water until you are done stripping as it will harden the sludge and you will have to resoak.