Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Askari Legion Bikers

- - - - - Warbike Bike Big Mek Askari Legion

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)

Since the 2014 Ork Kodex allows for Big Mek's on warbikes, I have decided to make one. The plan is to make a modular one so various weapon and wargear options will fit on the bike. My main motivation is to get a Mega Kustom Force Field on a Big Mek warbiker so I can use him in game quickly and exactly where he is needed.

This thread will also document my effort to get my bikes in order.

Current family shot. As of January 2017, many more are complete and need to get in a group shot.

gang.png

Link to higher resolution version

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Progress so far has been rapid since I have the bits on hand.

Big Mek WIP

1. Power claw arm magnetized and shoulder magnetized (polarity matched on my master nob)

2. Maxmini Orc Tech Freaks Head (the Ork bitz options right now are awesome with all the third party manufacturers)

3. Drilled out head socket and head, using a coat hanger as pin

4. AOBR nob body cut off its legs

Glued to 2008? warbiker legs

Arm cut off and repositioned

Axe cut off

Bike handlebar repositioned on hand

5. Back of maxmini head filled in with Vallejo plastic putty (stuff is easy to use and faster than greenstuff)

Still To Do

6. Assemble

7. Clean mold lines

8. Paint

9. Make other weapon arm options (later)

10. More rivets! (err, not this time)

IMG_4004.jpg

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Bike WIP

1. Assembled

2. Did my standard conversion for my warbikers: Sentinel engine for dakkagun,

Ideas is to making for a slimmer option even though I mount on oval magnetic base

3. Shaved off right rear wheel fender detail (this is where I will attach wargear options

Also shaved off tab on fender top for dakkagun mounting

4. Moved muffler spike to no jab the mek in the shoulder

5. Drilled barrels 1/16in

6. Repositioned bike gunsite to top of gun (since Mek's nob sized body and head are higher than boy's)

7. Test fit the Mega KFF (the Gorkanaut version, since it looks big)

8. Shock Attack Gun included for size, no idea how to attach it (this is the old pre-plastic version.)

IMG_4006.jpg

Note: Since the warbike rider legs fit so well, I don't plan to glue them in yet. I plan to paint all the warbikers and the bikes separately so they are much easier to paint.

Scoutfox

Scoutfox

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 317 posts
  • Army Name:Da Wamp Gataz
You could do a side car for the SAG with a little grot sitting at the rear of the weapon ready to fire it.
  • Targetlokk likes this

phattonythedon

phattonythedon

'Ard Boy

• Speed Freaks
  • 836 posts
  • Army Name:Kap'un RedDread's Freebootaz

Exciting! Mek bikers! about time, it only makes sense huh?

Make a few magnetised special upgrades and possibly a sidecar magnetised on there too that can be replaced with some other deadly attachment. I find bikes a bitch for breaking in army transport so maybe make bosspoles and things like that magnetic too? I wish I had with a few of mine and likely will with any more I make.

Sounding like a good plan so far  :thumbs

be the change you want to see in the world

greggles

greggles

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,487 posts
  • Army Name:Trust in Rust

I really wish we could have given the weird boy a bike...so many modeling opportunities...

Voltan

Voltan

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 6 posts

You could do a side car for the SAG with a little grot sitting at the rear of the weapon ready to fire it.

Strangely, i had the exact same thought looking through the codex last night.

Spacecat

Spacecat

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Boyz
  • 540 posts

Nuttin' strange to it Voltan, it's the ork psychic field, good ideas that occur at one place creep up in the head of other meks elsewhere - long as Gork and Mork approve of the idea, of course.  hehe.

And yeah, only way the SAG will work as a backpack is with the gubbins straight up, then a 90 degree swivel for the whirly thing, and even then, damn thing will be crazy tall.  Sidekar makes more sense.

Topic for my threats and army: http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=51463
A recipe for Stormboyz done differently: www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=51279

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Finally found the killa kan or deff dread engine part I want to put on the side of the Mega Kustom Force Field. Magnetized the contraption to the back of the bike and plasti-tacked (the yellow temporary putty) the major arm of the Mega KFF to the side to see how it looks. Not sure I like the side mount, but I want to keep the profile modest.

My plan was to have the entire big mek on warbike hide behind a stock battlewagon, but as you can see in the picture, LOS is not fully blocked. Jinking and / or the 4++ can provide some protection, but not against 50+ shots of a fish'ead missileside. I guess I can partner him with deffkoptas to provide some protection, or hide behind a pair of battlewagons.

From the side angle, his head seems to jut out a lot, but since I want him facing forward and I don't want to shave his chin, I think it is fine.

IMG_4051.jpg

IMG_4052.jpg

greggles

greggles

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,487 posts
  • Army Name:Trust in Rust

"For one model to have line of sight to another, you must be able to trace a straight, unblocked line from its body (the head, torso, arms or legs) to any part of the target’s body. 

Sometimes, all that will be visible of a model is a weapon, banner or other ornament he is carrying. In these cases, the model is not visible. Similarly, we ignore wings, tails and antennae even though they are technically part of a model’s body. These rules are intended to ensure that models don’t get penalized for having impressive banners, weaponry, and so on."

It's LOS is blocked.

Scoutfox

Scoutfox

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 317 posts
  • Army Name:Da Wamp Gataz
Greggles beat me to it. The model is fine.

I agree the head doesn't quite seem right but its probably because the body is a boy and the head is a nob sized one. You could cut the neck back and then it wouldn't stick put so much. I like the idea for the bike's guns and I think I have one of those exhausts laying around, so consider it looted.

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts
The body is actually an Assault on Black Reach nob body with legs replaced by the war biker boys legs.

The head is warboss sized, not nob size like it probably should be. The white spot on the back of the head is where the neck should connect to, but the limited space, the head angle, and other considerations made me drill out lower on the back of the head and fill in the empty socket with plastic putty.

To "fix" the head, I could shave down the neck and remove some material from the back of the head. I am starting to feel calling him Big Mek Longneck is being lazy. Hmmm

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,769 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

To "fix" the head, I could shave down the neck and remove some material from the back of the head. I am starting to feel calling him Big Mek Longneck is being lazy. Hmmm

I'd suggest that the problem is mainly the angle of the torso + the relatively oversized head, possibly the best way to sort it would involve beefing up the front and top of the shoulder pads and top of the neck with modelling putty to put a bit of forward lean into it

• Giganotosaurus likes this

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Updates below. Making modular SAG sidecar or small attachment to cover holes

1. Pic 1 shows shaved neck and final version of the Mega Kustom Force Field

Still need to round out his head

Shows the two holes which will have a small attachment or sidecar for Shokk Attack Gun (SAG)

2. Pic 2 shows framework for SAG, made of coathanger

3. Pic 3 shows approximate position of SAG, which will be on a fender

Sidecar will be covered with plasticard bits, but should still be removeable

Potential Issues

1. Wheel axle is a little long, but SAG spinny bits need room

2. Bike will be on a magnetic base, sidecar base needs to be compatible

3. Metal SAG is a little heavy, but should be fine on sidecar with base

Note: Sidecar wheel is Gorkamorka trukk big wheel, same size as 2007 trukk small front wheel

IMG_4076a.jpg

IMG_4078a.jpg

IMG_4079a.jpg

• warhead01 likes this

Drakon7

Drakon7

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,057 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAAAAGGGHHHH! O'da Red Orks!

I assume you're doing something about his head being too high?  It just looks a little too off to appreciate the rest of the conversion, which is looking AWESOME by the way! 

Just cause wez a bit pinkish don't mean we ain't proppa!

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

neck.jpg

Latest view of the neck, back of the head, and new fez. Head is in same position as last post, but bulking up of the shoulders and neck look good to me. Fez because fez are worn by many of my Askari Legion Orks, even bikers.

• Drakon7 and r_squared like this

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

askaribikes.jpg

These are a couple bikes I have modded to match the look I want. Old 1997 bike on the left and new 2007 bike on the right. These are just the bikes, but still show some of the changes, including front-mounted guns, front wheel guards for all, and drilling out all guns and exhausts. Changes not shown include new boy body on old rider legs on old bikes, and a fez for all that can wear one.

The guns are Sentinel engines with part of the box trimmed at an angle. Below is a picture of my unpainted bikes, in progress where I was trimming mold lines and drilling barrels and exhausts. Only about a third of the bikes are 2007 bikes, most of poorly painted old bikes, about half of the old without guns or wheel guards yet.

bIMG_40931.jpg

Old bikes will use old bike legs with Assault on Black Reach boy bodies.

Hands need to be cut and repositioned, below is the first batch.

Bottom three have left arms repositioned to grab empty handlebar location.

aIMG_4105.jpg

• warhead01 and M.E.K. like this

M.E.K.

M.E.K.

Ammo Runt

• Boyz
  • 159 posts

You've got there big biker mob. Mix of old legs and new bodies looks funny but characterfull ;) Keep us posted :thumbs

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 359 posts

That is a lot of bikes! I like the conversion you've done, it helps the 1997 bike fit with the new ones pretty seamlessly.

As far as the Mek, I think it's coming along nicely, especially the modularity. You do have a mold line on the right forearm and elbow you may want to clean up  before priming.

Are you going to make the SAG sidecar modular too? What about the snotlings for ammo?

Drakon7

Drakon7

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,057 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAAAAGGGHHHH! O'da Red Orks!

love the changes to your mek!

• Red Skullz likes this
Just cause wez a bit pinkish don't mean we ain't proppa!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warbike, Bike, Big Mek, Askari Legion