Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Askari Legion Skullhamma (was GI Joe Mobat to Ork Skullhamma)

- - - - - Skullhamma Baneblade MOBAT Askari Legion

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)

First post reserved for final pictures, see following posts for progress.

[Final pictures will be here]

Stages ======================

1. Ordering. I ordered most of the 22 or so I have from 2010 to 2012, a few 2013-2014

2. Gathering them all together. I had them spread all over the house and one or two more kept showing up every week or two.

3. Disassembly. I removed the upper hull from lower hull, turret and mini turret from upper hull, and internal Kannon from main tube

4. Sticker removal. Each MOBAT variant has different sticker application and many still remain after 25-30 years

5. Glue and gunk removal. Upper hulls, turrets, and mini turrets soaked in Purple Power for 2-4 weeks, cleaned and soaked for a couple more weeks

Purple Power: Cleaner/degreaser I use for paint removal: http://www.clean-rit..._degreaser.html

Since the plastic soaked for weeks, and the sunshine got on the plastic, some hulls and turrets turned a little white, I will steel wool later (to add extra wear too)

6. Kannon completion. Internal kannon removal, turret disassembly when possible, and creation of short stubby barrels

Other steps to be completed

Notes ======================

My plan for this project is to convert GI Joe MOBAT tanks to modular Skullhamma tanks. Modular, so they can be looted Baneblades et al too. I have collected quite a few of these since I saw a converted one in 2010. I plan to make roughly 20-22 of them. Yes, it is too many, but they die quick in APOC. I plan to make them all at once, so progress will be slow since I doing the same stage for all at the same time. I was in the US Army for a few years, spending some time in an M1 tank, and I am sort of a treadhead. So, if I go sideways a little talking about bullet traps and bad design, forgive me.

Disclaimer ==================

These will not get endless usage (how many Apoc games can one play.) I also have over 20 to build. With that said, I plan to make them look cool, but within reasonable limits. For example, paint will be mono color at first (when I actually get to finally paint.) I can always add more detail and variations later to each vehicle. I also envision these Skullhammas as pretty fresh off the line and with limited wear or battle damage.

Shout Outs ==================

Sukigod who I looted the idea from in the first place, see http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=35582,

specifically see http://www.the-waaag...c=35582&page=18 to see a converted MOBAT (the one on the right)

DokNuk, for inspiring my work, and having a disturbing sig: http://www.the-waaag...ic=45032&page=1

Krooza, because he is a god and needs to be mentioned in the codex fluff (every thread has his comments, you know who he is already)

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

You may ask, what is a GI Joe MOBAT in the first place. It is a cheap tank I can buy on eBay that is about the right size for Skullhamma or looted Baneblade variant. The MOBAT is made for roughly 4 in (100cm) GI Joe figures.

See also: http://www.yojoe.com...icles/82/mobat/

Notes: It has lots of stickers with 30 years of decay and adhesion. If acquired from previous owners who loved them a lot, they will probably have lots of scrapes and be quite dirty and or broken. While this does not look like a real world tank, it will still require at least some modification to look like a WH 40K Ork vehicle.

MOBAT_zps419e5f82.jpg

Picture source: https://www.og13.com...41-GI-JOE-MOBAT

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Step 4. Sticker removal. Each MOBAT variant has different sticker application and many still remain after 25-30 years

Removing all the stickers was annoying. Below is a early group shot before a couple more were found in the garage. The lower hulls and mini turrets were disassembled earlier.

IMG_3907-1.jpg

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

6. Kannon completion. Internal kannon removal, turret disassembly when possible, and creation of short stubby barrels

I am greedy and wanted to keep all the small kannon inner barrels. Some of the turrets could not be taken apart (I think the 1983 turrets used plastic cement instead of screws.) I used a chisel from the turret hatch to remove the tab holding in the inner kannon and shoved them back, then used a 1/2 in drill bit to drill out the barrel and remove the inner barrels.

IMG_3988.jpg

Some of the plastic turrets and upper hulls turned a little white or frosty after soaking in Purple Power for 4-8 weeks. It should not affect priming later as I plan to use steel wool or some of other polishing method, since I want the primer to stick.

The black pieces on the ends of the barrel are the muzzle enhancer bit, see http://www.lowes.com...ductId=50030710. I plan to use the female to female bit later for alternate barrels. These are half inch in diameter and they are why I drilled out the main barrel slightly to accommodate them. I don't plan to glue the muzzle enhancer to the barrel. This arrangement will allow me to swap out the look of the barrel so I can make Baneblade variants too.

670750943294lg.jpg

I used a normal 1 in washer (not fender washer) to cover the end of the drip irrigation bit above. Fender washers have small holes, normal washers if 1 in outer diameter are about 1/2 in inner diameter.

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Future updates will be delayed a bit. I am working on the designs for turret changes, cupola, skirts including combined sponsons. Although it would be possible to go wild, I plan to have some limits to the mods, so they remain functional and semi-realistic. I plan to laser cut the pieces for all 20 at the same time and conduct all the builds before any individualism of each vehicle.

Totgeboren

Totgeboren

Steel Hornz

• Boyz
  • 661 posts
  • Army Name:Gutrippaz smashaz

Cool, but this is more than a mammoth task!

I can't help but think you might have jumped in the deep end first. I would do at most three at a time. I dunno, for me hobby work is suppose to be fun, but this looks more like assembly line work to me. I recently scratch-built five Mek Guns at the same time, and I got sort of burnt-out while painting them (all still half-painted). Building and painting over 20 super-heavies seems like... eh... a bigger challenge. :P

But good luck! Make sure you post updates, it's much easier to keep work going when you have people giving you feedback. :)

"It is the misfortune of beings to be for us nothing else but useful showcases for the contents of our own minds."
/Harry G. Frankfurt

My orks.

My Stompa uv Deff!

My Traitor Guards and Word Bearers!

reglo

reglo

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 53 posts

I do commissions and i agree that if you overload yourself you will find a bitter end (i know this feeling into my bones sooo well), anyway in the end it's only a matter of will + organization skills. If you do everything right, maybe with a cold drink and good music will be possible for sure. I wanna see how this huge task will go on. Good luck!

The Gremlins are coming... So i will accept commissions untill they'll destroy everything!

Alienerd

Alienerd

Wartrukk Gunner

• Grot Rebelz
  • 1,678 posts
  • Army Name:Rebel Grotz

An approach I might suggest (might work for you, or then it might not fit your idea of how you want to work on these, but I'll throw it out anyway) is perhaps see just 1 or 2 through to completion to start with, as prototypes. Then if you run into any snags which slow down the process, and decide it would have been easier doing a step a slightly different way, you still have 20 chances to work on it.

The guy in the Superman shirt has the right look though. "You bought how many?!"

Good luck with it all :thumbs

How many kans can a killa kan kill if a killa kan can kill kans?

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,770 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Got to agree with Alienerd et al on the 'pre-production' prototypes, the number of times I've hit the 'why the zog didn't I do it like that instead' stage is bad enough with one. x20 superheavies? - rather you than me  :blush

Do like the tank in your avatar though  :thumbs

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

The tank in my avatar is a Battlewagon (see thread) that was inspired by one of Doc Nuk's trukks (see thread).

Derry battlewagon

post-4707-1233338028.jpgpost-4707-1233338037.jpg

DocNuk's Trukk

post-3744-1231004811.jpg

Current version of DocNuk's Trukk, from this thread

post-3744-1289853570.jpg

• OldSkoolGoff likes this

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

While I generally agree with the sentiment about doing a prototype and getting completions to maintain motivation, I am pretty sure I can gut this one out, if I gain the efficiency of mass production. The main factor is spending hobby night with some buddies, so I can chat while spending the entire evening only removing stickers, for example.

My hobby night place is Game Kastle in Sunnyvale, CA, USA, on Monday nights when I can.

Alienerd

Alienerd

Wartrukk Gunner

• Grot Rebelz
  • 1,678 posts
  • Army Name:Rebel Grotz

The main factor is spending hobby night with some buddies, so I can chat while spending the entire evening only removing stickers, for example.

I do prefer hobbying in my local GW as well, especially when there are others in there working on projects as well. The gaming side of the hobby is generally received as the social one but it works wonders on motivation and overall progress if you also make the models in a space occupied by like minded individuals.

How many kans can a killa kan kill if a killa kan can kill kans?

Sukigod

Sukigod

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,082 posts
  • Army Name:Red Jack's Waaagh!

Thanks for the mention, derry - always glad to be of some inspiration. Gotta say though, dat is MO-BAT-S#!% crazy! I went buggy after two (although I wouldn't be averse to a third), that many is just.... bonkers!

Good luck with it though. Gork knows we all would love to see an entire batallion of these things on a table!

RichardBranson

RichardBranson

Grot Oiler

• Boyz
  • 165 posts
  • Army Name:Yngwie's Bling Orkestra

I have one MOBAT tank slated for Skullhamma or even a tracked Stompa.  Twenty two!!!  

From what I can tell there's a bunch of detailing on the MOBAT hull that is out of scale or poorly designed or both.  You could grab a bunch of armour plates and cover the offending parts.  I imagine it will be fun and challenging to make each of them unique in some respect, or to have several subgroups?

I imagine that it might all go that much more smoothly if you can spend some teef on bits and gubbinz from the list of suppliers pinned at the top of da garage.  

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts
My plan is to laser cut a standard set of detail pieces so that all are basically the same factory fresh builds. But, I plan to have a large set of various glyphs, plates, iron gobs/rams, and other details cut that allow some customization of each tank. Fragile parts like iron gobs, supa rokkit racks, exhaust stacks, and similar items will be magnetized/remove able. The side skirt up armor kits and other parts will go through a tumbler to get unique wear without me going insane.

Insane? Yes. At roughly 20 pieces of roughly 1 in square pieces for each tank, that is over 400 pieces of just skirt pieces. Convex rivets and scrappy detail work would not be possible, but concave or drilled hole style rivets and tumbled roughing up is possible. I have not yet tumbled plasticard in a rock tumbler yet, so it will be an interesting experience.

I plan to make the sponsons remove able too, one per side with double stacked weapon options, with the ability to have a mini turret on top so the can be Baneblade variants too. These will be laser cut too and will be many more pieces.
  • RichardBranson likes this

Scoutfox

Scoutfox

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 317 posts
  • Army Name:Da Wamp Gataz
Interested in seeing if this project pans out, which I hope it does. Seeing that many Ork super heavy tanks would be quite the sight.

I had a lot of G.I. Joes when I was a kid but not that tank. I've always wanted to get a baneblade to convert into a propa super heavy, how big is that tank compared to the baneblade? Also how much have you been finding them for?

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

MOBATs can be found on eBay for US$10-15, but be careful on the shipping. If shipping is US$8-10 and total price is under $20, those were the auctions I pursued. I also got many for much less ($10 delivered or so), by bidding on groups or being patient. Semi-active daily/weekly bidding from 2010-2012 and 2014 is how much time it took. If I valued my time more, I would have just snatched them up faster.

Note: These are collectible and I got a couple that are in like new condition. I preferred to get beat up ones that have been loved too much, since I plan to modify them anyway.

IMG_4014.jpgIMG_4017.jpg

As you can see from the pictures, they are very close in size and make a good base for Skullhamma or Baneblade variants

• Scoutfox likes this

Scoutfox

Scoutfox

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 317 posts
  • Army Name:Da Wamp Gataz
Thanks for the info and the pics. Looks like a perfectly acceptable replacement for a Baneblade for a fraction of the cost. Off to Ebay....

Edit: just picked up one for $17 including shipping. Guess the Waaaagh will see another conversion, just 19 fewer than you. Thanks for the inspiration!

balsak_da_mighty

balsak_da_mighty

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 465 posts
  • Army Name:?

As a GI joe lover, this hurts me a bit.  but cool stuff none the less.

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

I understand your pain, but I worked hard to get worn, cheap, and less collectible versions. Also, no collectible packaging received or damaged in construction of these. :)

• balsak_da_mighty likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Skullhamma, Baneblade, MOBAT, Askari Legion