Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mek Town Map

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Dukan

Dukan

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 3 posts
  • Army Name:Confederation of Destruction
Anyone ever seen an actual map of Mek Town or a fan made version. Google hasn't produced much. I'm looking to create one and just wondering if any work had been done before. Thanks.

Dukan

Flamekebab

Flamekebab

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 442 posts

I seem to recall there's some relevant art work hidden away in the demo of the cancelled Gorkamorka game. I can't get it to run for me today, although I've managed to get it working before on another Windows machine. I'm trying to figure out how to extract the assets from it so we can have a proper look but it's such an old and obscure game. I'm struggling to even find out what format the art assets are stored in!

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 4,808 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun

This article from my Orkish Misconception series goes into general ideas about Ork Town layouts. Might give you some food for thought.

Flamekebab

Flamekebab

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 442 posts

This article from my Orkish Misconception series goes into general ideas about Ork Town layouts. Might give you some food for thought.

That's a great piece of writing, Dim!  :love

Something that might be worth adding that I've found really interesting is the fact that Orks have accountants - Sum boyz! This suggests all kinds of fascinating things about their societies.

I did spot one misconception though - Gorkamorka isn't supposed to be a giant teleporter, that's just one of the things some of the meks working on it think it might be. The lack of a defined leader leaves the meks to their own (aha) devices which inevitably means that the thing doesn't get finished. Perhaps when faced with the threat of the tin'eads they get their skates on but at the time the main game is set it's as many different projects as there are meks working on it.

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 4,808 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun

Yeah, without a clear and present enemy to fight (and the Diggas, Muties and Rebel Grots are little more than minor annoyances), the Ork settlement is kind of stagnating. At any point, the Boyz could rise up and start producing serious Warboss potential at any moment. But basically, the Meks have all that power and influence because of the situation, and that is restricting Ork development and advancement. At least for now.

One interesting thing that did crop up from this series is that there is at least an explanation that fits quite well for the lack of Clanz on Angelis. What is occurring is what is described by Waaargh The Orks (the first Ork book, and the best. It's all fluff and most of it still works) as the emergence of a Splinter Clan:

“Although most of the known clans are of ancient origin, these origins are obscure, and subject to much speculation (and no little arguing) by those concerned. Some clans may have formed as splinter groups from older clans or tribes that existed in the distant past. This process continues still continues to date. Occasionally, a new clan is formed.

The formation of a new clan is a gradual process. It occurs when a tribe of Orks, or a splinter group from a clan, becomes isolated. The customs and attitudes of this isolated group undergo changes unrelated to the mainstream clan culture from which they have sprung. Some traditions from the original clans may continue in a modified form, but after a few generations, a new clan with new customs has effectively been created.

Tribes include groups from several clans welded together under the authority of a warlord. Many tribes fragment after the demise of the warlord, after a defeat, or at the end of a campaign. If the tribe remains intact for a long time, it may become forged into a new clan. The major Ork clans may have originated in a process similar to this. During the times of Waa-Ork, when scattered groups of Orks unite enormous migrating hordes, many such tribes have formed. These tribes break up after the Waa-Ork dissipates. However, since the Waa-Ork may rage for centuries, some tribes weld together into new clans during that time.” (Splinter Clans, pg.80-81)

[Note: Waa-Ork is basically what we now simply call Waaagh.]

With such extreme isolation, the Ork society could be viewed as being on hard reset, waiting for circumstances to kick them into gear. They're waiting for a strong opponent to test them, or the emergence of a new leader, one powerful enough to topple the Mekboyz. There's lots of campaign potential there.

• Flamekebab likes this

Arkul

Arkul

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 3 posts

I think it could make the basis of a different yet similar game that would take retired mobs and play the 'next stage' of their development. Perhaps your Nob starts thinkin he could be a warboss, and starts trying to accumulate more power, brokering with the meks, founding further mobs (which would ofc allow for more Gomo games ;)) etc. Might have to be a more freeform game with more narrative rules than hard. Anyways, theres plenty of differing ways to handle something like that.

Also, having a map of mektown and other settlements would be sweetness.