Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Gorkamorka... but not as we know it.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Dod g. Git

Dod g. Git

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 31 posts
I'm in the process of writing an adaption of my necromunda mini-camapign system for Gorkamorka.

The basics of this are as follows, most importantly the campaign is map based and thus is of finite length as it will end when any one player holds enough territory to declare himself the boss of the area this will probably be about 70%. (the exact number of territories is subject to the number of players.)

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Badtown on google docs (link fixed)

Attached Files

We'z Diggaz! We'z may not be az 'ard az dem Orkz are, but we'z got betta gubbinz!

Flamekebab

Flamekebab

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 442 posts
This reminds me of a discussion on the GoMo Facebook group a while back, although I don't know if any of that will be of use to you.

The document is pretty good so far and reminds me of the fluff for Da Town. It might be prudent to set it up as a document on Google Docs to make sharing it easier though. Also have you considered which license you're going to release it under? (I'm asking everyone this as it makes it a lot easier and more legal to share stuff that way!)

Dod g. Git

Dod g. Git

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 31 posts
As for the map I want to make that a per-campaign affair but basically I'm thinking 3-4 territories per player so that each in compelled to expand his holding to get a decent income. Now sharing on Google docs. As for licensing... erm I dunno, this is just my fan written stuff use it if you want please don't make money off it and get GW angry with me.
We'z Diggaz! We'z may not be az 'ard az dem Orkz are, but we'z got betta gubbinz!

Flamekebab

Flamekebab

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 442 posts

As for licensing... erm I dunno, this is just my fan written stuff use it if you want please don't make money off it and get GW angry with me.

*chuckles* It's nothing to do with GW getting angry with you - don't worry. The reason I ask is simple - Gorkamorka is now over 15 years old. It'll be just as good a game in ten years.

Now think about copyright - if you wrote the rules you own them (assuming they're original work). Unless otherwise stated no one is legally allowed to share the rules without your explicit permission. They can't be republished, modified, built on, used in other things, or anything like that.

At tUGS we release rules under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share-Alike license (here's an example). What this means is that if the rules aren't quite right in your opinion you can modify them and then release them, as long as you don't sell them and as long as you give credit to the author/s for creating the original rules. You can also use them in building something bigger - like a whole campaign book.

There's loads of old Gorkamorka stuff from the late 90s that can't be republished because the authors credited themselves as something like "Jim" and gave no email address. As a result they can't be shared with the rest of the world in any convenient and modern form (they're what's known as "orphan works").

So how do you license something, it sounds like a lot of hassle...

It's actually dead easy. Head over here, fill in the form, bam, done.

Dod g. Git

Dod g. Git

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 31 posts
Okay. Well then, I hereby declare that I don`t care at all what people do with this as long as it remains within the bounds of legality. So even if you really need to commit some elaborate copyright offense or just beat sombody to death with a brick wrapped in paper please could you insure my rules aren`t printed on it. I`d really rather not be involved. Right then, any comments on the content rather than it`s licensing status?

Redtoof

Redtoof

Stormboy

• Snakebitez
  • 1,391 posts
  • Army Name:Da Viperz
Looks like a good start to me. The doubles/triples etc thing is cool and reminds me of Mordheim, which is nice.

Flamekebab

Flamekebab

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 442 posts

Right then, any comments on the content rather than its licensing status?

I would suggest that the results need some balancing (a free shoota is worth 2 teef, or arguably less as it can only be sold for 1) but you're on the right track. I like how there's some flavour text and of course that it reminds me of the unique bits of Mordheim.

Have you thought about Oddmobs at all?

Also what kind of stuff do you have planned for the rules? (I'm nosy, it's fun to see something different and new!)

Oh, one more thing - it looks like your Google Docs link goes to somewhere on The Waaagh - did you paste the wrong URL :) ?

Dod g. Git

Dod g. Git

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 31 posts
I originally was going to write in the Diggas as a more mainstream faction due to Badtown being closer to the pyramids, but the gaming group I am writing for didn't have any other Digga players so I left them out and embraced the chance to use the Ork mob I built years ago.

Redtoof

Redtoof

Stormboy

• Snakebitez
  • 1,391 posts
Are you going to write rules for specific territory you can fight over/own? How about a sand worm nest? I think I remember a cool scenario from years and years ago about fighting in sand worm territory - each turn there is a chance a giant invertebrate is drawn to the vibrations of one of your trukks and starts chomping at your boyz.

Flamekebab

Flamekebab

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 442 posts

I think I remember a cool scenario from years and years ago about fighting in sand worm territory - each turn there is a chance a giant invertebrate is drawn to the vibrations of one of your trukks and starts chomping at your boyz.

This one?

Redtoof

Redtoof

Stormboy

• Snakebitez
  • 1,391 posts
YES! A very cool scenario. It would make an interesting territory in a map campaign. Who is crazy or desperate enough to attack that territory?

Ryan

Ryan

Bag Squig

• Boyz
  • 104 posts
without tryin to sound too negative, if there is another sandgulper area (and why couldn't they be) if you were to include it as territory i think it should be one of the worst available, not as famous as Gulkartslag so less rewards available for those that control it, and it should have a good chance of death and injury for those working/collecting from it

Dod g. Git

Dod g. Git

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 31 posts
while I did consider writing specific territory types originally (I did in the Guilder`s Leap minimunda system this is adapted from) I decided against it due to the tendency for campaigns to bog down fighting back and forth over the "good" territories. This is why I opted for the mordheim style scavenging. Originally I was also going to halve the starting teef and try to impose a mob size limit something along the lines of (Nob`s leaderhip + territories held = size) I was thinking of calling this limit a Waaagh rating. Thi8s too is in line with my necro system adaption. however by the time I sat down to write the rules down my gaming group had already rushed out to buy orks aplenty and I don`t want a mutiny on my hands.

Ryan

Ryan

Bag Squig

• Boyz
  • 104 posts
i would have specific territory types (as they would add alot of variation and fun to a game) but i would keep what territory is fought over as random then players wouldnt keep constantly attacking one player for a good territory...unless its his last one and then her deserves a beating anyhow lol. i like your waaagh rating dose group size include vehicles? and while it works why do you feel you need this rating to keep control on group size? i doubt they will mutiny...how many orks have they bought? :?

Dod g. Git

Dod g. Git

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 31 posts
To answer your question Ryan I want my players to have a mad land grab and imagine the territories themselves to be far less important than the dominance they symbolise in short I want the emphasis to be on the random happenings of the desert, not "I captured your [insert valuable location here] nah nah."

I want map based domination not mapped gorkamunda I've done that and while it is fun it's also a bit clunky.

As for the Waaagh rating and reduced starting teef those are to keep it in line with minimunda which used half size gangs, that grew as their leaders became more famous.

Ryan

Ryan

Bag Squig

• Boyz
  • 104 posts
you might be misunderstanding me here, as you said you don't want everyone fighting over the same territory that's understandable it gets very boring, but if i were you i would still name every territory and try to include special rules for each one... at-least where applicable

for example players 1 and 2 fight, they chose the empty territory:
sandgulper nestsite: game is played as normal but sandgulpers rules are used
ork brewhouse: game is played inside an ork booza, hand to hand combat only no ranged weapons...apart from bottles
oil field: place 3d6 oil markers before the game, any vehicle passing over one must pass a drivers check or spin
ghost town: shootout senario from necro is played

but if you dont want the emphasis on the territory itself then yeah i would keep all territory's value the same or at-least very similar value (no massive deviation like in necro old ruins-archeotech hoard)

i like your idea of Waaagh rating, i guess it depends on how many games you plan on playing, in normal gorkamorka (atleast from my games) people dont seem to take more than 10 guys anyhow they just equip the ones they have much better but this is probably to do with gang rating and the fact your supposed to retire when ur gang rating reaches 400

im guessing your game would be more like you said a mad land grab more focused on growing gangs into a waaagh...that i find interesting

Dod g. Git

Dod g. Git

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 31 posts
I'd really rather leave this sort of thing upto player groups to decide for themselves. The point of Badtown's terrain is that iit is in the big uz, to the north west of Mektown (the other side of the mounds of rock and dirt thrown up by the impact) as as such there isn't much there, in terms of dominance all that matters is how much "not much" you have. As for naming territories I had thought about this but it really depend on how groups create their maps. If they have a touch of artistic talent graphically, they could create something, but being that I have no artistic talent beyond the use of letters I have no idea how I'll be doing it this campaign. Maybe you should write a random conditions generator (like Necro's Treacherous Conditions) Unless of course there is on already most SG games manifest one eventually.

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 4,801 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun

Maybe you should write a random conditions generator (like Necro's Treacherous Conditions) Unless of course there is on already most SG games manifest one eventually.

Yep, there is one already, Perils of Da Desert, and was pretty much the last thing written for it. WD 227 I think. It's the one with Dark Pansee on the front, anyway. Typical D66 affair, much like the Necromunda version, but more sand.

I can kind of see both perspectives, but ultimately the pragmatic approach Dod g. Git is going for is what I'd do. I've tried to run campaigns based on maps where everywhere has individual rules, and that works okay, if there's an arbitrator/GM on hand to make sure everything stays fair. It's definitely the sort of thing that benefits from the individual approach, because all gaming groups are different, even if most gamers just say stuff like "can't we just play a let's kill each other mission?"

If this was built for a specific map, like the one we toyed with for the Waaagh GoMo Campaign (that never happened) a while back, I can kind of see it, but it depends so heavily on the context. For a general set of rules you want to stick to the basic important things. If individual groups want to add to it they can.

Dod g. Git

Dod g. Git

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 31 posts
Dim repa`s got it in one. While creating a lovely high detail map with individually named territories would be wonderful (like Emperor battle for dune if you remember it) but maps should be made per campaign based on the number of players and desired length of the campaign 3 territories per player for short intense land snatches or 5+ for epic sagas of conquest.

Flamekebab

Flamekebab

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 442 posts

Maybe you should write a random conditions generator (like Necro's Treacherous Conditions) Unless of course there is on already most SG games manifest one eventually.

As Dim_Reapa said, Gav Thorpe wrote one back in the day. It's online here.