Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Muddying up da wagons

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Dont Press Dat

Dont Press Dat

Buzzing Squig

• Grotz
  • 96 posts
Hey, I thought I'd put this question to the community. I've been looking in to ways to muddy up my battlewagons, and came across this video where the guy mixes sand/soil with paint and PVA glue:

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this kind of method, whether they can recommend to try it or avoid, what materials might work (I was thinking of just using basing sand but the pieces might be a bit large), or if you have some nice alternatives to share. All manner of pics and links welcome.
- DPD

MaddaMek

MaddaMek

Gargant Krew

• Deathskullz
  • 2,775 posts
  • Army Name:Freak'd out Skulls
Coffe dregs should work, bonus points for fact they are already really cool, natural brownish colour (they even "excrete" brown, unless You wash them so no need for paint).
I also had great success with dyeing baking soda, if You mix it with enough paint to make thick paste it should work.

I've used something similar as in video (btw it's from Waaagher called "ff151") but IMHO it looked poorly due to big grains (it is my personal taste.). In that case baking soda may be for You, as it have smaller grains.

Also, after painting mud with highlights You may add shining lacquer, so it look like wet mud.
Moldmaking tutorials [part 1] [part2]

Dont Press Dat

Dont Press Dat

Buzzing Squig

• Grotz
  • 96 posts
Wow that's fantastic advice maddamek. I'm a bit of a coffee geek so I have loads of coffee grains going about, and best of all I brew them in different ways so I will end up with variations in grind-size. The lacquer sounds pretty great too, I guess you're one of dem smart boyz. Thanks.
- DPD