Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Welding Plastic

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Sukigod

Sukigod

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,082 posts
  • Army Name:Red Jack's Waaagh!
I'm just going to leave this right here...

I found this originally posted on Bell of Lost Souls and wondered why in the world I haven't ever seen this? (technique...)

magos_mechanicus

magos_mechanicus

Stormboy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,353 posts
  • Army Name:Dok Ork's Lootas
It certainly is an interesting looking technique. Makes me wish I still had my minidrill. The only downside I can see from my point of view is the rate it eats through the plastic rod. I can't get that cheaply round here.
~Nought to lose but my chains,
Internet feeds on my brains~

big mek tank krusha

big mek tank krusha

Dreadnought Pilot

• Blood Axez
  • 1,874 posts
  • Army Name:da mekforce

It certainly is an interesting looking technique. Makes me wish I still had my minidrill.

The only downside I can see from my point of view is the rate it eats through the plastic rod. I can't get that cheaply round here.

you can search for plastic lollipop sticks. dirt cheap, and (make sure you ask the seller to be sure) usually polystyrene. they're between 4 and 5mm thick, and very good for structural props in builds - and undoubtably, for welding. the link i've put in are polystyrene, and they glue up fine for me. you can also heat them carefully with a lighter to make good bent piping like on the side of my big lumpy battlewagon.

-BMTK-

the proppa way to loot a bastion!

mechanical nids in the FBH!

4th Edition Orks in 7th W/D/L: 7/0/3

7th edition Orks W/D/L 4/0/0

MaddaMek

MaddaMek

Gargant Krew

• Deathskullz
  • 2,775 posts
  • Army Name:Freak'd out Skulls
I wonder how this work in comparison with hot glue. May try it, I have same hand drill (unmodified tho).
Moldmaking tutorials [part 1] [part2]

Prowla

Prowla

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 132 posts
You can also weld plastic with a soldering iron, me thinks.. no idea how much fumes you get, though.

BigMek Gaudge

BigMek Gaudge

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 201 posts

Thanks for putting this up Sukigod.

I like how strong that weld is.

With some practice, experimentation, and maybe smaller styrene rods I bet you could make some appropriately orky welds with it, rough looking but strong, that are small enough to make sense scale wise. (for those of us who like welds anyway.) Though big welds like that might work well on buildings and super heavies, or anything welded an oversize crane, trukk, or dread mounted welding device.

You can also weld plastic with a soldering iron, me thinks.. no idea how much fumes you get, though.

In my experience, a soldering Iron is too hot. It tends to melt the the plastic too quickly and to aggressively to do much welding.

Also,

If your going to use a soldering iron to melt plastic make sure you use a crappy cheap as dirt "abuse iron" for that, not the slightly (or much depending on what you use) better soldering iron you use for actual soldering. Burned on melted plastic is a bitch to clean off your soldering tip and forms a carbon layer that insulates the tip somewhat making it much harder and more frustrating to try to melt solder with it.

You CAN scrape the baked on carbon char off the tip, after you've unplugged the iron and let it cool off, to get it working again but it takes a while and is frustrating and probably isn't doing your soldering tip life any favors.

Wot? *strokes chin* hmmmm.