Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Goblin Spider Banner and Goblin Archers?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Khazgar-de

Khazgar-de

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 4 posts
Hi All, A couple of weeks ago I managed to kill a Beastman Great Shaman with 20 Night Gobbo Archers after casting "Gift of the Spider God" on them (poison attacks). After congratulating myself I thought that I could get a big unit (60 odd) of Night Goblin Archers and put a Goblin Battle Standard Bearer with the Spider Banner in it (poison attacks). Asssuming all could shoot I would get 10 Wounds per volley - absolutely devastating against tough troops with little or no armour, and when the enemy get to close the fanatics come out. Has anyone actually tried this?

Khazgar-de

Khazgar-de

• Grotz
  • 4 posts
Having read up a bit I have seen that this combo appears to be well known. So I would therefore ask: is it considered unsporting, what counters have people seen and how did people do with it?

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,418 posts
  • Army Name:Mad Miks motor'eads
Under the old rules Goblin archers were pretty much useless but with the newerrulebook they can be worthy opponents, espescially with Fanatics to help them out. The Spider banner is also a really worthwhile addition to the unit, bringing their kill ratio up, so its a good combo and well worth the investment of a good size unit, perhaps 10 wide and 5 deep. But even the goblin archers and fanatics on their won make good flanking units.

When all else fails Panic
If that doesn't work...then you know you're up to your neck in it!

Khazgar-de

Khazgar-de

• Grotz
  • 4 posts
To be honest, I was thinking of putting them in two ranks for maximum firepower. In a 1000 point army, a giant would hold the right flank, 3 wolf chariots the left while the night goblins shoot 60 poison arrows. If anything gets too close the fanatics come out, and a goblin great shaman in the unit can buff my units and curse the enemy.

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,418 posts
For a 1000 pt army list a giant might be too much, facing the likes of elvesor dwafs, he isnt likely to get across the board in time to do what he does best, but they are great fun. , Perhaps a small unit of trolls would be more effective. Or some black orcs.

Khazgar-de

Khazgar-de

• Grotz
  • 4 posts
It's going to be Beastmen. My opponent likes Minotaurs so I'm going to get at least 4 or 5 plus 1 Gor Herd. Plan is to let the giant keep the Gors busy while the goblins make poisoned pincushions of the Minotaurs!

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,418 posts
Best of luck on that. Never played beastmen so look forward to hearing how the plan goes.

Grublug

Grublug

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 6 posts
I like it. Poison banner on archers have not thought of it before. usualy take the +1 leadership banner and put the BSB into my warboss unit.