Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How to start? What to buy?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Drobbit

Drobbit

Growler (pet squig)

• Grotz
  • 90 posts
Hi guys! I've been collecting 40k orcs since long, just for the fun of painting and a year ago I started to play. I would like to change a bit and start painting and playing some fantasy orcs and goblins. The problem here is always time and money. I don't want to spend money in boxes that I won't use at all. I mean... I just want to paint 50 orcs if they are really usefull, and don't want to realize after painting them that 50 night goblins or 50 savage orcs are a better option. That's why I ask you a little help for my start. Just for the core of my army and the hard stuff of painting and painting a lot of little bastards. I prefere to spend time in painting more big units like giants, araknarok and that stuff. I want a mixed army of orcs and goblins. Unless you say: focus on orcs or goblins. I don't really know what is better... I've seen some lists of lots and lots of night goblins but I prefere to avoid this. Thanks!
May the waaagh be with you...

IVEATCH

IVEATCH

Kommando

• Goffz
  • 986 posts
  • Army Name:Goff
Your probably going to want at least two units of Night Goblins for the Fanatics. Make each unit 20 to 30 strong and arrange them 10 accross. This maximizes their Bow shots. I'd also recommend some Savage Orcs and Orc Chariots. Don't forget the Savage Orc Shaman with the Savage Orcs. This kicks up their invul save from 6+ to 5+. Spear Chukkas are a good inexpensive add along with Snotling Pump Wagons as Flank runners. Mangler Squigs are both fun and erratic. I saw one guy who had modeled them as a pair of Ping Pong Balls chained together. One had the "Tragedy" face drawn on it, the other had the "Comedy" face on it.

big mek tank krusha

big mek tank krusha

Dreadnought Pilot

• Blood Axez
  • 1,874 posts
  • Army Name:da mekforce
i hate when people feel an army must have a unit in it, especially one with so many choices as this. if you don't want to take night gobbos for fanatics, then don't. they are really good, but a necessity they are not. it depends what you're aiming to do: play the defensive game and take spear chukkas and the like, line up night gobbo units full of fanatics and let the army break when they hit you, if not sooner. play the offensive game and take all the stuff that charges forward and that people want to stay clear of - mangler squigs, arachnarok, poisoned spider-rider-archers and savage orc boar boyz. that or just take what you like and find a use for it - figue out what things your army lacks and take those to bolster it.

-BMTK-

the proppa way to loot a bastion!

mechanical nids in the FBH!

4th Edition Orks in 7th W/D/L: 7/0/3

7th edition Orks W/D/L 4/0/0

IVEATCH

IVEATCH

Kommando

• Goffz
  • 986 posts
  • Army Name:Goff
The advise offered is not about what Orc and goblin unit you must have. It's about "time and money" as Drobbit mentioned in his request from back in August of this year. If you have units of Night Gobbos/Fanatics, Savage Orcs and Spear Chukkas, you will use them. They will not be a waste of your money and modeling time. Almost every unit in the O&G codex is useful. It's more a question of where you start. I have almost 5,000 points in Fantasy Orc gear. These three units are the ones that I keep using over and over (among others).

Snotlings, on the other hand ...........