Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New and just acquired a respectable army

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Cooking Orc

Cooking Orc

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 1 posts
Greetings all. I'm brand-spanking new to O&G and this forum. I just acquired from my good buddy an army of respectable size. I'd like to list what I have here and then it would be great if anyone could recommend what it's lacking or anything obvious that you don't leave home without. I'm completely unfamiliar with O&G tactics but i'm eager to learn. I'll be playing mainly casually against Warriors of Chaos, Vampire Counts, and Ogres but also i'm prepping for a 2250 tournament next month. Without further adieu: - 8e O&G Army Book - orc warboss on foot x2 (one of them is model from warhammer online collector's ed) - orc warboss on boar x1 - orc big boss x2 on foot x2 - grimgor ironhide - wurrzag? - orc Shaman on foot x1 - orc shaman on boar x2 - skarsnik & gobbla (old models) - night goblin boss x1 - night goblin shaman x1 maybe 2 - orc bsb on foot - orc boys x50 - arrer boys x31 - black orcs x30 - boar boys x7 - night goblins x80 (a few could easily be converted to those goblin assassins. or are those only for regular gobos?) - night goblin archers x10 - fanatics x9 - squig herd squigs x4 (with 2 goblins on a single long base) - spider riders x18 - river trolls x2 (maybe 3 if we find the rest of it. old ugly models) - stone troll x1 (my buddy might find the other one in his basement) - boar chariot x2 Also, I went down to my local game shop before taking this inventory and bought a box of boys and a box of boar boys. I haven't touched the sprues so i can prob take them back and get something else of equal value. I appreciate any suggestions. :biggrin

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,441 posts
  • Army Name:Mad Miks motor'eads
Allowing for the fact that the new rules tend to promote savage Orcs , it may be worth considering some of those, either as boar boys or as boys. Other than that possibly some wolf riders ( fast cavaly bowmen) and maybe convert one of them to the new wolf rider leader character in the book...sorry brains gone to sleep cant remember his name. Other than that, you have a pretty good list there. The only thing i see in short supply is the following: a giant (always good fun) Some speak chukka and Rock lobbas, (much improved in the new rules.) and of course the new gigantic spider model, if you are really flush!

When all else fails Panic
If that doesn't work...then you know you're up to your neck in it!

pri3st9

pri3st9

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 2 posts
  • Army Name:Nazgob's

I'll be playing mainly casually against Warriors of Chaos, Vampire Counts, and Ogres but also i'm prepping for a 2250 tournament next month. Without further adieu:

Do remember that VC and Ogres cause fear, all of them.

I'm going to comment on all of these, I'm no newbie to WH.

- 8e O&G Army Book
- orc warboss on foot x2 (one of them is model from warhammer online collector's ed)
- orc warboss on boar x1

These are basically generals for a regular orc army, some people do not like the D6 S5 hits a blorc fits upon a animosity unit. Remember to charge the boar boss out of a unit if you want to block flank attacks.

Take out a vampire or Tyrant with these with the right magic weapons and remember a 4+ W.S. has 1/2 chance. They have the Ld of 9 you want for your armies.

- orc big boss x2 on foot x2
- grimgor ironhide
- wurrzag?

Special chars which are worth their name, Wurzag can get 4+ W.S. for a whole unit of SO with the lucky head. Grimgor has a WS5 blorc unit with him, which is fodder such as regular orcs because of their same T4. These are the equivalent of chaos lords, vampire lords and so on, statwise you can see a S5T5 against a S5T5 for a WBoss and a S4T5 for a BB which are against lots of magic items for them (old 7e RBs), and less for the orcs. With magic items you go defensive or aggressive and remember his magic weapon is a choppa.

- orc Shaman on foot x1

I hope you got the Nazgob model (mushroom staff to scare goblins), he mainly snipes and foot of gork's your enemy.
chaos and VC magic is non-sniping, always counter VC curse of years for example with 2 dispel scrolls as back in the day of forest goblins.

- orc shaman on boar x2

has 5+ A.S. and has LOS, do not forget when facing FCav alone.

- skarsnik & gobbla (old models)

Love this mini.

- night goblin boss x1

Put 4 to 6 of these in a unit for 37 points each with a GW and I3 which is good against anything non-elfy, non-dwarfy LOL

- night goblin shaman x1 maybe 2

Do not forget the magic mushroom rules for them.

- orc bsb on foot

handy for keeping your units from running away and T5

- orc boys x50

Shields and choppa gives you S4 and 5+ A.S. and 6+ parry save, which is the least S needed IMO. They will not kill anything as they are core choices and but with steadfast you'll have a good unit with which to deal as cannon fodder, bait and these will get overrrun, shot at and so on. A good core choice whatsoever, no comments on the VC,ogres and WoC.

- arrer boys x31

"Fer very fit orc ladz"

- black orcs x30

Just the right number you need at minimum, S7 or 2x S5 hits but they die just as easily as regular orcs. Your choice against chaos warriors, ogres (S4-6 T4) and anything non-core of VC.

- boar boys x7

These are (at non-BU) at S4. Watch out for Cav vs. Cav in terms of chaos knights and blood knights or mournfang.

- night goblins x80 (a few could easily be converted to those goblin assassins. or are those only for regular gobos?)

NG have netters and fanatics, CG have nasty skulkers, what you call a CG assassin. Keep in mind that fanatics only deal damage at S5 to something which is over 4 or 5 points per model for good measure. fanatics are a must have against core WoC , VC and ogres!

- night goblin archers x10

NG archers means BS3 and Short bow, which means they mostly hit on 5+, you can do the math for yourself.

- fanatics x9

see above.

- squig herd squigs x4 (with 2 goblins on a single long base)

Get some 30 of these (squigs-gobbo mix) WS4 S5 2A, immune to psy, but no A.S. e.g. watch out for ethereals and anything tougher or stronger. They are somewhat like ghouls in their abilities if you like.

- spider riders x18

Use the war beast swiftride and strider rules for happily charging through trees (with LOS at the least but with a -1 to hit for cover save.

- river trolls x2 (maybe 3 if we find the rest of it. old ugly models)
- stone troll x1 (my buddy might find the other one in his basement)

Get more of these but watch out for anything flaming. I am not only talking about fire throwers but anything magically flaming etc. Trolls are S5 ogres and stupid so they need one of your bosses with them.

- boar chariot x2

The minimum number for speed-bashing and try to put a char in these for a 5+ A.S. and 4W T5. If the char is destroyed your lord just continues the fight. Crash anything you want to cripple with these.

Also, I went down to my local game shop before taking this inventory and bought a box of boys and a box of boar boys. I haven't touched the sprues so i can prob take them back and get something else of equal value. I appreciate any suggestions. :biggrin

You cannot use boar boyz all the time as these are soft-armour cavalry, maybe get a Storm of Magic expansion book for more wizard & monster fun.

About WoC :
watch out for massive core units of warrior elites, chosen and special choice knights, they can take on anything in the army as your ong only have I2-3. Use things like manglers, giants (which he can take also), heavy troll units (6 each) and doom divers to counter the small number of models with basically high S attacks.

About VC :
if your opponent knows, he can take something of an undead chaos army (think of crypt horrors, Xgheists, wights and rare units, all ressurected at D6 wounds per magic phase per necromancer. Counter the magical threat of this army.

Ogres :
new army book, watch out for high S and some neat abilities which you can discover for yourself.

HTH.

-- P