Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Da Ska' Vengaz - sum Deff Skullz projektz

* * * * - 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Gobsmakk'd

Gobsmakk'd

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Deathskullz
  • 548 posts
  • Army Name:Da Ska' Vengaz (Deff Skullz)
Like Gaf-Naz, I am building a Dakkajet with just a few small changes to the base kit, and I have a second kit set aside for a more extensive konvershun for the Charity Bommer komp.
For my Dakkajet, I added in the wing-root spacers from the bommer versions to get the gun-mount for the third TL supa-shoota. But I preferred not to have angled wings, so I filed down the various edges to allow a straight-wing build. I also left off the front exhaust stubs, in this case preferring the look of the underlying vents.
As befits a proppa ace, I personalized the pilot a little bit to set him apart. The only other change that I am considering is fitting some Stormboy rokkit packs to the wingtips for extra speed, but I am still waiting for those bitz to arrive before I can see how they look.

Here's a couple of WIP shots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gobsmakk'd

Gobsmakk'd

• Deathskullz
  • 548 posts
And the lack of proppa Dakkajets being displayed here so far is disturbing, so here it is in its current state, prior to getting it’s decals and weathering effects.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

C&C welcome. Cheers.

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Gaf-Naz, Da Inter-Hive Firm
Nice work filing down the wings to get the flat wings whilst still using the spacers - I hadn't considered doing that.

I agree that the wingtips need something. Without the extra fuel tanks of the Burna-bomma attached, I think they look a little unfinished. If the rokkit-packs don't work, maybe add some "winglets"?

Paintjob looks good (if a little un-proppa). :P The pilot's teef look a bit clean to me though!

:cheers
Ork Town III - Terrain building competition, sponsored by Ramshackle Games.

Do you need some 6th edition fortifications for your army, a new terrain piece or an 'armies on display' board?

Then build it, paint it, post it and move into "da orkiest town in da ooniverse", and have the chance of winning a prize!

radegast6

radegast6

• Boyz
  • 542 posts
  • Army Name:Boss Skullcrasha WAGHH!!
I agree with Gaf Naz a little un-proppa colour but looks fine, I love engin painting anf burning effect but I would add some burns on side to make it more realistic.
Miniatures Conversion Blog

Mek shop orks buy here

ORKS DONT DO FACEBOOK BUT IF THEY WOULD...

apparently “mass produced plastic toys” are not protectable as “sculptures” or “works of artistic craftsmanship” under English law... hmm interesting

Gobsmakk'd

Gobsmakk'd

• Deathskullz
  • 548 posts
@Gaf-Naz - per your hint, pilot's teef not so clean any more! And yes, winglets might be a good consideration if the rokkit packs don't work out.

@radegast6 - thanks. I'm going for a hot exhaust tip effect and have dirtied it up a bit, but am not sure that burns would be visible on the actual exhaust or the fuselage directly above it. Besides, after a couple of washes, my paint scheme is now almost Goff-like (almost I said, it's still blue if you look close enough) and burn or powder marks, like those streaming back from the gun ports, are virtually invisible as a result. Oh well.

So here it is. I'm still waiting for my Stormboy rokkit packs for the wingtips, but otherwise I'm calling it finished. I had a blast painting this model and I have a ton of bits left over, especially bombs, muh-ha-ha! The design of the pilot and cockpit to slide in after painting (if you choose) is brilliant. I used decals for the first time in eons, that was 'interesting'.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gobsmakk'd

Gobsmakk'd

• Deathskullz
  • 548 posts
Some more:
Posted Image

Couldn't resist a little Aussie reference with the pilot:
Posted Image

Posted Image

And here he is in action, getting ready to pounce on an elusive Void Raven bomber:
Posted Image

Posted Image

C&C welcome. Thank you.

radegast6

radegast6

• Boyz
  • 542 posts
  • Army Name:Boss Skullcrasha WAGHH!!
nice painting - I would apply wash all over it to blend everything togrther.
Miniatures Conversion Blog

Mek shop orks buy here

ORKS DONT DO FACEBOOK BUT IF THEY WOULD...

apparently “mass produced plastic toys” are not protectable as “sculptures” or “works of artistic craftsmanship” under English law... hmm interesting

Gobsmakk'd

Gobsmakk'd

• Deathskullz
  • 548 posts
It had an Asurmen Blue wash after the primary blue layers went on, and then Devlan Mud and Badab Black on top of the weathering, and then the rust and smoke/powder effects last. The pics aren't the best, but it's blended quite well as it is. Cheers.

Gobsmakk'd

Gobsmakk'd

• Deathskullz
  • 548 posts
Small update for my June painting threat - finished this Dakkajet completely today. All I had left to do was finish the wingtips, but my idea to try fitting a Stormboy rokkit pacl to each wingtip didn't pan out. They are all wrong proportionately, too short and too big a diameter. So, I went with plan B which was the fuel tanks supplied with the kit. They look absolutely great.

Haven't been able to get decent lighting conditions for my pics, so the flash screws things up a bit. The rust is nowhere near as orange or as bright in RL. Sigh.

Posted Image

Posted Image

C&C welcome as always.

RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor

Snotroom

• Grotz
  • 44 posts
  • Army Name:Mekgrimz Krumpaz
Love your work Gobsmak'd - The grey and the blues you've used are fantastic!

One thing I will say I dislike is the the white and rust highlighting going on all over the jet. Personally speaking I would apply some drybrushed base color over the areas, its far too heavy at the moment.

Another really good alternative would be to mix up and apply some weathering washes, there's some sweet tut's out there, but heres a Les Burley one - his vids are usually simple enough to follow for a grot like me :D

Simple wash recipes and application
QUESTION OF DA DAY: DO ORKS LIKE DA SOUND OV SAKSAFONE AND PERCUSHUN?

CHECK OUT IMMIGRANT MUSIC - AND FIND OUT!!!

Kleiner Zorn

Kleiner Zorn

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,147 posts
you painted his finger brown

Gobsmakk'd

Gobsmakk'd

• Deathskullz
  • 548 posts
@RythmDoctor - thank you very much. I will definitely look at that LB video you linked, I'm a fairly middle-of-the-road painter and am trying to improve my technique and results wherever I can. The rust is nothing like the pics in RL in terms of brightness, and I could have applied less of it all over the a/c, but this thing's meant to be a well-used beater. It fits the style of the rest of my army at the moment. I do agree that I could use less Mithril Silver (white) edging to indicate wear 'n tear. It does have Badab and Devlan washes on it already and they did tone it down, but for my next one I will have less bare metal showing. Overall, I don't mind the way this one turned out though. @Kleiner Zorn - yes, he's meant to be wearing a flying glove and I didn't bother to change the profile of the finger at all before I painted it.

Gobsmakk'd

Gobsmakk'd

• Deathskullz
  • 548 posts
Small update.

With the recent conversion of Big Gunz to Finecast, they now cost $35.75 Cdn each :crybaby (the USD is currently at par). And as we all know, that's for a single variant model, no multiple-barrel options, etc.

Given this scandalous state of affairs, the two batteries of 3 Kannons that I wanted to use in a local tournament back in July would have cost $210.00, plus tax. Instead, I used about $3-$4 worth of plasticard and plastitube to scratchbuild my six Kannons. I also purchased a box of Grots to krew them for $20.00, and a pack of 13(?) resin wheels for $12.00. They aren't the most Orky-lookin' ones around, but they are all I could get at short notice.

I used an existing metal Kannon model as a loose template for size and shape, and put these together over two evenings. Another night to paint them, et voilà!.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

C&C welcome.

Cheers.

Warboss Mick

Warboss Mick

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,044 posts
Very nice idea and well worked out, keep it up :thumbs .
Warboss Mick's WAAAGH! : http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=51831 (Started assembling Rebel Grots / Gretchin, Big picture's . Update 19-05-2013)

Wurrkop

Wurrkop

Grot Rigger

• Boyz
  • 177 posts
  • Army Name:Waagh Wurrkop!
Those looks really nice, gotta get me some textured pcard as wells as some rod, pipes and i-beams :)
"Um, Boss?"
"Yer? Worrizit?"
"It´s me arm, boss. I fink i ´urt it."
"Woddyer mean? Yoo fink yoo ´urt it?"
"Well i can´t tell fer sure, boss, ´cos i can´t find it."

ridin_shotgun

ridin_shotgun

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 562 posts
  • Army Name:Da Krump Karnival Klan
Love everything. Just noticed on your dakkajet, the words "klive da killa", I think that I love you.
All Orks is equal, but some Orks are more equal dan da uvvaz.