Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hole Punches

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Aslomov

Aslomov

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 133 posts
Hey guys! This has probably been asked a good few times around here, but does any one know if hole punches go lower than 2mm because I cannot seem to find any online! :crybaby I recon that 2mm would just be too big for most things and I do not want to have to cut up my plastic rods to make hundreds and hundreds of rivets, that would take forever! The kind of hole punches that I am after is the ones that come with more than one size. It would save me SO much time and hassle in the long run. The smaller the better! Also it would be great if I could order it from inside the UK as I live in the far north of Scotland. Thanks guys! :biggrin
In the grim darkness of the far future there is only little plastic men.

Elaric

Elaric

Big Gun Krew

• Boyz
  • 196 posts
5 minute ebay search came up with the same one I use;

Link

At the size you are talking about, they all seem to be one size, but at that price, buying several in different sizes shouldn't break the bank.
Footsloggers Win/Draw/Loss 4/1/4

How does an Ork deal with engineering problems? More Rivets!
How does an Ork make a vehicle faster? Paint it Red!
How does an Ork test for mines? Send in the Grotz!
How does an Ork Deal with interpersonal issues? Choppas!
How does an Ork deal with the loss of a comrade? Laughter!
[DavicusPrime on MWG]

My monthly threat progress can be found here.

ramshackle_curtis

ramshackle_curtis

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 443 posts
I bought a cheap rotary one, went to punch through 1.5mm plasticard and the handle bent! :(

lord_blackfang

lord_blackfang

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 325 posts
  • Army Name:Nu Orkers
I bought a rotary one too and it was horrible. Went back to cutting up rod. It's honestly not any slower.

Mad Mek Snowfyre

Mad Mek Snowfyre

Loota Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,201 posts
  • Army Name:Random Freebooterz
well I rarely use hole punches... if I do I try to do I try to use a thumbtack.... (with limited success.) then again, to make rivets a dab of liquid greenstuff in a small blob actually looks great.
May Da WAAAGH! be with you....

Do not underestimate Da power of DA WAAAGH! side.

MaddaMek

MaddaMek

Gargant Krew

• Deathskullz
  • 2,772 posts
  • Army Name:Freak'd out Skulls

then again, to make rivets a dab of liquid greenstuff in a small blob actually looks great.

I use wood glue ;)

Anyway, You may try to "sculpt" circles in putty, simply by dabbing putty with small pipe

Posted Image

Also small metal washers, just fill hole inside and push out when ready.

You can even go hardcore and use "straighten" syringe needles.
Moldmaking tutorials [part 1] [part2]

pete1000

pete1000

Ammo Runt

• Boyz
  • 155 posts
  • Army Name:Waagh Gobwalsh
Hi, like Ramshackle Curtis I bought a hole punch from Wilkinsons (shop in UK) with a rotary head, the smallest was about 1.5mm. After 30 or so rivets it broke by twisting. Wilko's replaced it for free. One thing I was told a week or so later is never to just put a single sheet of plasticard in the hole punch and punch it directly onto the metal platten of the punch, always put another piece of scrap plasticard over the platten as a packer - it worked a lot better and I made a good number of rivets. I just wish I could find one with a 1mm diameter hole.

regards :cheers

Murrdox

Murrdox

Steel Hornz

• Boyz
  • 639 posts

I bought a rotary one too and it was horrible. Went back to cutting up rod. It's honestly not any slower.

I second this. Cutting rod works pretty well. Fortunately I found a good supplier of plastic rod at a local railroad hobby store.

Dibble

Dibble

Oily Squig

• Boyz
  • 106 posts
I bought the Draper rotary punch from Hobbycraft (another UK shop) and I'd have to hit it really hard with me biggest hammer to bend it. It punches out rivets from 2 mm to 4 mm, and even a cack-handed git like me would struggle to break it. 2 mill does not look out of place3 on my builds but for smaller rivets, I have a couple of hole punches I picked up whilst accompanying the boss on her regular shopping sprees in card making shops. ("Yes dear, that's nice dear, certainly dear. Oooh look, a new hole punch :biggrin )

Aslomov

Aslomov

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 133 posts
Thank you Elaric! But isn't 1/16" 1.5mm?? I think that 1/322 is more what I am after.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Steel Teef

• Boyz
  • 666 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Thank you Elaric! But isn't 1/16" 1.5mm?? I think that 1/322 is more what I am after.

Either that's a typo for 1/32 or you did double check your measurements and you really do mean 3 thou (in which case you're probably looking at a syringe :biggrin ). Have you thought about going the water filter route? Haven't tried it myself but the Forgeworld Masterclass book reckons that you can get them with 'millions of very small balls' which 'vary in size but most are under 1mm in diameter'.

Aslomov

Aslomov

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 133 posts
That was a typo! Hah! Yeah, I was just reading that in the Model Masterclass book like 2 night ago :biggrin Not a bad idea to be honest.

anythingbutaone

anythingbutaone

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 22 posts
I haven't seen it but i've heard of peeps using the restractable pencils as punches. Simply remove the lead, sharpen the lead end and punch until it starts filling the pencil. doesn't work on anything thicker than .5mm pasticard though. But you can get the pencils from 1mm to .5mm for your rivets. :thumbs
"I just wanted someone to call me sir without adding, Your causing a scene!"

TheSnake

TheSnake

Stormboy

• Freebooterz
  • 1,337 posts

I haven't seen it but i've heard of peeps using the restractable pencils as punches.

It does work ;) look around post #20 in this thread: http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=49177

:cheers

Babyblue_d

Babyblue_d

Oily Squig

• Boyz
  • 107 posts
  • Army Name:Heavymetal Mayhem
hop over one thread to http://www.the-waaag...p...=2&t=51216#
for pics and this might be better for you

As for the tiny riveitz I'm sure I posted it in the past but it myst be one of thone little gems now hidden in the depth of the forum. So here we go again

The punch is made from the head of a 0.5mm mecanical pen. I sharpened the tip using a dremel and a file. After that all you have to do is make an handle (brass tube in that case) and there you go. You can make hundreds of rivitz in no time using a little 0.25mm plasticard sheet.

"Sluga Boyz win waaaghz. Mek Boyz win battlez."
-Unclaimed graffiti attributed to a Deathskull Mek Boy

BABYBLUE D.
aka ... Deloo Pabet

anythingbutaone

anythingbutaone

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 22 posts

It does work ;) look around post #20 in this thread: http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=49177

:cheers

Thanks TheSnake, knew i'd seen it somewhere :thumbs
"I just wanted someone to call me sir without adding, Your causing a scene!"