Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Trying and Discussing the New Paints

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,343 posts
  • Army Name:Da Blue Thunda Speed Freeks
I have a photobox that I haven't had a chance to set up yet. These were in progress shots using a daylight lamp at nearly point blank range and my iPhone camera... so no, not ideal conditions. :)
______Agatheron \_______
--Remember, long, uncontrolled bursts,
and indiscriminate target selection.
____________________________/

http://chaplainsbrush.wordpress.com/

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 896 posts
The changes look way too subtle in the pictures, especially on the sail.

I'm right, and nothing ever annoys me more. - Dim

MaddaMek

MaddaMek

Gargant Krew

• Deathskullz
  • 2,772 posts
  • Army Name:Freak'd out Skulls
I think laying flat piece (sail?) on sheet of paper would be good enough.
Moldmaking tutorials [part 1] [part2]

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,343 posts
A challenge I have been having with these pictures and some more recent ones I took its my photo box is that the white balance was so off, that all the blending/gradient detail was lost. Some of it is supposed to be subtle, but in some cases it's so subtle, the camera isn't catching what my eye is! I need to get my camera set up working well if I am going to take pictures of the Orks in progress! :)
______Agatheron \_______

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,343 posts
Here's another, albeit different test with the new paints.

My 6-year old daughter painted these from the Starter set:
Posted Image

When painting, I had her use the bases Leadbelcher, Incubi Darkness, and Celestra Grey which are in addition to the 8 paints that come in the set... but as you can see, the results for a 6-year old are pretty damned good.
______Agatheron \_______

MaddaMek

MaddaMek

Gargant Krew

• Deathskullz
  • 2,772 posts
  • Army Name:Freak'd out Skulls
I saw Your Boyz, I see Your girl work. I think latter would look really good after smearing "liquid talent" all over it. I wonder if something like that would work: Chaos black basecoat "Wide angle zenith" (ie. sprayed from 90-45 degree angle) from some gray paint "Narrow angle zenith" (like 90-80 degree) from white black wash Layer paints or "ink mix" painted with brush. Basically something like preshading + blacklining, abusing fact that new paints are more or less transparent. Quick and easy.
Moldmaking tutorials [part 1] [part2]

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,343 posts
I'd say it'd be worth a try. If you don't like it, you can always repaint the model. :) I'm still working on the Dreadfleet ships as well. I expect that I will get the Ork teeth and then some more work done on the four remaining ships. The Ork experiment was an exercise in seeing how fast the new "system" is. I didn't intend for them to be Golden Daemon quality, but I can put these beside some of my Goffs that have won best painted at a tournament for comparison.
______Agatheron \_______

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 896 posts
Did you get the new metallics? I'm interested in how gold and bronze behave.

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,343 posts
I have all of the four new metallic bases, and the two metallic dry compounds, but just two of the layer metallics (Ironbreaker and Runelord Brass). The bases cover well, and they have threaded benefit that other metallics will stick to them quite easily. The reality is, there's a whole lot more choice in terms of getting certain metallic looks with this new range. Unlike the other paints however, it seems that one is more likely to apply the first layer prior to applying a shade... But then again people are free to try all manner of combinations to see what sorts of looks they can get. It used to be that your base choices were tin bits and bolt gun, but now even the bases upon which one applies your metallics have more choices. I plan on using them with the burnaboyz test.
______Agatheron \_______

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 896 posts
I was browsing through them today, didnt realize there were metallic bases, layers and dry compounds though. I did find an amazing shade of purple that matched one I had been mixing myself for a while though.

Monsieurjuneau

Monsieurjuneau

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 39 posts
I tried out the Agrax Earthshade wash the other day. It seems a tad thinner than Devlan Mud, so I was quite liberal with how much I used. However, I noticed that in some of the deeper areas where more of the wash had "sunk in", it had dried with a slightly white cloudiness. Has anyone else noticed this? Bit of a hassle since I used Devlan Mud quite a bit to shade my boys en masse, and it looks like with this new wash I'll have to apply multiple thin layers to achieve the same effect as one thicker layer of Devlan, which will increases my workload substantially.

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,343 posts

I tried out the Agrax Earthshade wash the other day. It seems a tad thinner than Devlan Mud, so I was quite liberal with how much I used. However, I noticed that in some of the deeper areas where more of the wash had "sunk in", it had dried with a slightly white cloudiness. Has anyone else noticed this?

Bit of a hassle since I used Devlan Mud quite a bit to shade my boys en masse, and it looks like with this new wash I'll have to apply multiple thin layers to achieve the same effect as one thicker layer of Devlan, which will increases my workload substantially.

I've not had any issue with Agrax Earthshade... on the other hand, I had plenty of issues with the older Leviathan Purple doing as you've said, as well as the Vallejo Washes. So far, the shades are performing very well with no clouding issue... I don't think you need to be all that liberal with the wash, because the excess will simply run off the model... at least that's what they say in the video. There's an upper limit on how much you can really apply anyway before gravity overcomes the surface tension of the shade...
______Agatheron \_______

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 896 posts
Have any of yours been coming with the new lids? None of mine have that clip that holds the lip open.

Monsieurjuneau

Monsieurjuneau

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 39 posts
Yeah, my Agrax has the little clip. To be honest, it kinda irritates me since I like to close the lid of my pot while applying washes to prevent it from drying out.

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,343 posts
All the shades seem to have the new lids, as does Abaddon Black... the shade lids work well, the abaddon black I have to fiddle with a bit...
______Agatheron \_______

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 896 posts
Has anyone tried the glazes so far?

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,343 posts
I have... both blue and green. The green I used on the Lootas skin... I like how it looks. Go check out the thread...
______Agatheron \_______

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 896 posts
I checked it out, but I was wondering about them being used on non-similar colors like they mentioned in the GW video.

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,343 posts
They can be used over anything. I tried using the red glaze over the green, which produced an interesting effect in pushing the green to a more brownish look... but it wasn't the look I was going for. There's lots of experimenting room with the new glazes.
______Agatheron \_______

Spacecat

Spacecat

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Boyz
  • 531 posts
I just bought and used a pot of the new 'texture' stuff. Thought I'd share my experience with you guys. Since my orks are fairly desert-y in theme, I picked the lightest color, Armageddon dust. It's a medium-dark tan color with a tinge of greenish in it, so I'd describe it as a mix of chemical runoff and sand. I haven't tried it for basing, was more looking for a quick and dirty (Literally! :lol) way to put mud on my vehicles. Here's my 'Flamer Hummer' with that texture paint: Attached File  hummer3.jpg   101.22KB   15 downloadsAttached File  hummer4.jpg   219.46KB   14 downloadsAttached File  hummer5.jpg   128.65KB   9 downloadsmmer5.jpg] The vehicle was primed in Army painter 'Pure red' (which accounts for most of the paint job as a bonus) and I found out the new layer color 'Evil Sunz Red' is virtually identical. Other colors are the old paint range. When I did a gryphonne sepia wash over the vehicle I touched up the front fender over the mud, I was curious what effect it would give. I'm not happy with it but you can see the result in the first two pictures, maybe it's an effect some of you folks could use. Me I'm too amateurish with paint still. The Texture paint is -very- thick, it's more a paste so pull up your stiffest, meanest brush to manipulate that stuff, maybe even a coffee stick. One advantage of using a stiff brush over a coffee stick is that besides the sand, the texture paint has a lot of pigment, so you can paint the mud color using the brush (something not so effective with a coffee stick). Also I think you get a more uneven, natural coverage with the rough brush. When dry, the sandy muck sticks very strongly to the model, it won't come off easy. And if you look at the rear plate you'll see it does indeed have a lot of depth and texture. Overall, I give it a nod and a two thumbs up for putting mud on vehicles. It's quick, dirty and very effective even used by an amateur like me.
Topic for my threats and army: http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=51463
A recipe for Stormboyz done differently: www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=51279