Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Trying and Discussing the New Paints

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Dadgad

Dadgad

Hair Squig

• Grotz
  • 70 posts
I thought I'd put up this picture of an Ork Nob I've just done using some of the new (and some old) washes. Apart from the dwarf bronze bits on the bullets and the cables on the power claw this was all done with washes, over a white base coat. First, the browns. I always liked the finish of devlan mud which is what I've used for the trousers. There's 2-3 coats of that plus a final coat of 50:50 devlan mud and badab black. By comparison the new brown, Agrax Earthshade, is rather lighter - you can see it in the chest jerkin. The other metals are done by adding tiny amounts(about 1:10) of mithril silver or chainmail to 50:50 Drakenhof Nightshade and badab black. A couple of coats gives a good cover, and I've finished it with a badab black wash. I've used a wash of 1 part dwarf bronze with 4-5 parts Bloodletter red to get the red bits on the shoulder pads and a similar mix but with casandora yellow to do the crosspiece on the bosspole. The middle teeth are casandora yellow over the light metal wash mentioned above. The skin is undercoated white, then a wash of athonian camoshade, then a wash and touch-up with biel tan green - for a wash the latter covers really well. The skull on the bosspole is just athonian camoshade over the white base coat - its a bit over-exposed in the pic but to me gives a good rotting green 'corpse' colour. Should be popular for all the chaos guys! The bright bits - the arm band is straight casandora yellow and the glove is straight Bloodletter red as are the eyes and mouth. The latter pools nicely around the edges to give eyes with 'built-in white bits' - not apparent in the RHS here but clear on the other eye (to our left the ork's right). The tongue is 50:50 Bloodletter red and Drakenhof Nightshade. Finally, there are several layers of Badab black over the white base coat to get the grey of the bullet holder belt, and several layers of Devlan Mud and Badab Black (gradually darkening) to do the boots. Now, I just need to get my pin drill working and drill out the gun barrels.

Attached Files

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 907 posts
I tried the blue glaze over the skin of my blue orks but dont see much difference. I tried it over plain white primer and it works pretty damn well at tinting the area blue however.

I'm right, and nothing ever annoys me more. - Dim

da kale

da kale

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 221 posts
I have had a few tries with the new paints. All in all I think they work well, but there are something's that I am having trouble with. Firstly the glazes seem to make the skin of my orks look very shiny. Has any one found a way to use the glazes with out the shine? I also got a pot of imperial primer that should be used as an undercoat (or so I thought) which is so watery that it doesn't really cover anything exsept the deep parts. Am I using it wrong? Any help that the painting guys could help with would be appreciated. I am working from an iPad at the moment and my computer has given up the ghost, so if any one can tell me how to put photos up from the iPad or iPhone I could put up a few pics of what is happening. Cheers Kale

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,375 posts
  • Army Name:Da Blue Thunda Speed Freeks
Try applying the glazes a bit thinner, but either way usually the models need a clear coat regardless of what you have on the model. A matte varnish, like dull cote will cut the shine drastically, even to the point of dulling down metallics... purity seal is more a satin varnish, which cuts the shiny, but leaves the metallics looking the way you want them to. As for the Imperial Primer, I can't say for certain, but it is primarily intended to work directly over the plastic/metal/resin. I don't think it is intended to fully cover rather than giving a surface with some tooth that other paints can be applied over. Do you have Abaddon Black?
______Agatheron \_______
--Remember, long, uncontrolled bursts,
and indiscriminate target selection.
____________________________/

http://chaplainsbrush.wordpress.com/

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 907 posts
I haven't tried imperial primer, but it may to thinner to make it easier to get the recesses a spray primer can easily miss.

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 907 posts
Glazes dry cloudy so don't use them on something you want to be clear, ie no tinting glass.