Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Buggies/Wartrakks

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 28 posts
  • Army Name:Wakka & Takka's Dakka
I like the concept of Buggies/Wartrakks being actual relatively large vehicles. They do afterall have an AV rating, bare minimum sure, but I really dislike the current concept of half-bike things and a lot of custom jobs that make Buggies out to be barely bigger than a Warbiker (like the semi-common conversion of Deffkoptas into wheeled buggies). I've seen a couple of pictures, there's even one right now in this very forum of a "Dark Knight" Batmobile-style Buggy that looks utterly tits, and other specimens based off of miniaturized Rhinos and Chimera-style vehicles, and that's what I'm looking to make myself. I've tried my hand at scratch-building some Buggy/Trakks in the past (2+ years ago) but looking back, they weren't very good. So I'm looking for any inspiration you guys can throw my way in terms of awesome, full-sized vehicular concepts of the Warbuggy and Wartrakk. I've been gathering some bits here and there, some Warbiker and Trukk wheels, several Kan engine parts and the like, and I'm looking to try my hand at building, so if you have any examples, pictures or ideas, have at 'em...

burad

burad

Grot Oiler

• Boyz
  • 164 posts
  • Army Name:Red Deff
I've seen quite a few good lookin' buggies made from 2/3 of a Trukk. And i'd seriously consider customizin' an old-style Trukk and callin' it a buggy. For a Wartrakk I'd think about taking a half (or 2/3) of a Trukk and instead of the rear wheels use the suspension from a 1/72 scale tank. Preferably a simple one, like Pz II. Or again, use an old style Trukk and do that to it. For the skorcha turret you can use a Kan body and mount your skorchas where the arms would be.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out and proclaiming. "Wow, what a ride!"

Grogsmek

Grogsmek

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 7 posts
My favorite is a warbuggy done by Grandmaster Bo over on Librarium-online

http://www.librarium...ons-army-3.html

Another one I like is by Mordian 7th at
http://mordian7th.bl...t-go-fasta.html

burad

burad

Grot Oiler

• Boyz
  • 164 posts
  • Army Name:Red Deff
yeah. Just like that one.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out and proclaiming. "Wow, what a ride!"

Oogruk

Oogruk

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 58 posts
  • Army Name:Da Wreckin' Krew
You should take a look at some scale models of armored cars and the like. I've found that 1/35 scale vehicles fit best with the 28mm scale. WWII-era German and Soviet vehicles are a good place to start (as they already look rather orky) but I can see some really impressive conversions based on jeeps or even humvees.

You might want to check out the Kromlech Orc Desert Raider and PuppetsWar Orc Buggi. They should give some inspiration if nothing else.
Full speed ahead and damn the consequences!

crispy

crispy

Grot Oiler

• Boyz
  • 169 posts
Here's my take on the warbuggy built from a Trukk kit.

http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=47167

The pics in the first post show how it look using just the Trukk kit parts, I then added extras from my bits box. I was mostly aiming to get a lightweight, fast vehicle to better match the GW rules. It shocking they still haven't brought out a new buggy kit yet!
"When the pin is removed, Mr Grenade is not your friend!"

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Steel Hornz

• Boyz
  • 647 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

So I'm looking for any inspiration you guys can throw my way in terms of awesome, full-sized vehicular concepts of the Warbuggy and Wartrakk. I've been gathering some bits here and there, some Warbiker and Trukk wheels, several Kan engine parts and the like, and I'm looking to try my hand at building, so if you have any examples, pictures or ideas, have at 'em...

This is an old pic I posted a while back of my Sunburnz mob. Just about all the buggies are based on the standard GW one (some with more tweeks than others :biggrin ) and the wartrakk uses (most of) the tracks and running gear from a 1/35 scale Sherman.
Realistically, I'd suggest you just throw your bits together and see what you get, s'wot orks do :thumbs

Scoutfox

Scoutfox

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 242 posts
  • Army Name:Da Wamp Gataz
Most of my scratchbuilds and conversions are much larger than the GW counterparts, and like you I think the current models for buggies suck. I did the kopta conversion for my skorcha buggies, and made them into rocket powered water buggies. I got a trio of the old school trukks from Batertown and converted them into rokkit buggies. I think they are a great place to start as a base, and I had a lot of fun building both squadrons. Best advice is just start putting stuff together and let your inner mek shine. I was really scared the first time I converted something, but now I dive right in.

Examples:

Rokkit buggies
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Skorcha buggies before and after paint:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Spacecat

Spacecat

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Boyz
  • 531 posts
Well Misanthrope, my latest wartrakk pretty much fits what you like: I'm converting a 1:35 scale hummer into a skorcha Wartrakk, so its size is 5 inches long by 2.5 inches wide. So almost the size of a trukk (just a bit thinner I think) I affectionately call this my 'flamer hummer'.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Topic for my threats and army: http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=51463
A recipe for Stormboyz done differently: www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=51279

Grimskraga

Grimskraga

Buzzing Squig

• Grotz
  • 97 posts
  • Army Name:Boss Gubbinz boys
Seein as i done some of me own now, though't id post up my "Is it a Deffkopta, Is it a buggy" Completely interchangable between the two models

Attached Files

GREEN IS BEST!!

Nosher

Nosher

Stikky Fingas

• Nobz
  • 2,802 posts
  • Army Name:Nosherz Ladz
A lot of good buggies in this thread - I'll add a few of mine own for comparison/food for thought: Attached File  RL_Buggy_1a.JPG   210.13KB   11 downloads Attached File  RL_Buggy_2b.JPG   212.89KB   8 downloads Attached File  RL_Buggy_3a.JPG   280.37KB   7 downloads Also - a personal favorite from years gone by - Kronork's buggy: Attached File  Kronork_buggy06a.jpg   61.86KB   17 downloads Attached File  Kronork_buggy06b.jpg   65.3KB   9 downloads Attached File  Kronork_buggy06c.jpg   61.21KB   9 downloads One final note - I MUCH prefer buggies to warbikes, deffkoptas, etc. for the very reason you pointed out - they're vehicles. They block Line of Sight (though not as well as they used to), they can block hatches so troops can't disembark from their transports, they draw fire (and absorb it) and they are CHEAP.
So - whenever dem doks finish staplin' yer arms back on Haky, why don't you an yer boyz come down fer a visit. We'll 'av a few squigaritas, throw a few grots around an' discuss who dis 'ere choppa really belongs to...

These Waaaghs are a cross between a mass migration, holy crusade, looting party and pub crawl, with a bit of genocide thrown in for good measure.

You know Nosher's MO, anything he paints blue is automatically his.

- Nosher

Nosher

Nosher

Stikky Fingas

• Nobz
  • 2,802 posts
  • Army Name:Nosherz Ladz
One more batch - these are of another classic, Night Serpent's Skorcha Buggy from years ago: Attached File  NS_buggy14a.jpg   67.96KB   27 downloads Attached File  NS_buggy14b.jpg   66.27KB   9 downloads Attached File  NS_buggy14c.jpg   54.99KB   10 downloads Attached File  NS_buggy14d.jpg   61.59KB   7 downloads I understand your point about size, and this one might be a little small - but it's still significantly bigger than the deffkopta-buggies we've been seeing lately.
So - whenever dem doks finish staplin' yer arms back on Haky, why don't you an yer boyz come down fer a visit. We'll 'av a few squigaritas, throw a few grots around an' discuss who dis 'ere choppa really belongs to...

These Waaaghs are a cross between a mass migration, holy crusade, looting party and pub crawl, with a bit of genocide thrown in for good measure.

You know Nosher's MO, anything he paints blue is automatically his.

- Nosher

big mek tank krusha

big mek tank krusha

Battlwagon Driver

• Blood Axez
  • 1,803 posts
  • Army Name:da mekforce
i generally look in my bitzbox for enough wheels, then go nuts. and if i don't have enough wheels, i just go nuts :/ good wheels and a few previous thoughts on the subject: Attached File  batch_2__2_.JPG   454.08KB   26 downloads meh wheels, a metal dreadnaught and a bit of creativity: Attached File  SV500012.JPG   54.93KB   20 downloads and, no wheels and some spare time: Attached File  hoverbuggy__9_.JPG   95.64KB   20 downloads long as you got wheels, yer laughing. otherwise, ya got ter git more kreative.

-BMTK-

the proppa way to loot a bastion!

mechanical nids in the FBH!

4th Edition Orks in 7th W/D/L: 5/0/1