Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Some of these green guys

* * * * * 3 votes

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Draksaar

Draksaar

Juicy Squig

• Grotz
  • 61 posts
Hello there! :biggrin

As an excellent way to start this little venture into the land of little plastic figures I must say that I have no idea how posting on a forum like this works so we'll simply have to see how it goes. Further I can not really guarantee that my english will be flawless as what I have at my disposal is what I've learnt in school and from the internet.

I just recently picked up my old paining stuff in an attempt to actually get some of the things I bought when I was younger fixed up. When I was younger I lurked here quite abit to get some inspiration so I thought it was time to actually give something back to this community. So lets see if this works...

First of all we have a little mob of 'ard trukk boyz:
Posted Image

...and their dead 'ard leader Gorteef:
Posted Image

Then I found a little group of boyz with rokkits that I had converted some years ago, however they lacked a leader so slapped some stuff together making something I believe is not too shabby:
Posted Image

...named Krakk-jaw as "pile of stuff" didn't really sound like a nice name:
Posted Image

Next up we have the trukkers ride, also something that was build a very long time ago... seems to be quite jeep-like:
Posted Image

Furthermore, I found two small tracked vehicles that looked quite funky:
Posted Image

When you start up painting it's nice to have a test subject, like this poor little fellow with a neat looking gun:
Posted Image

Draksaar

Draksaar

Juicy Squig

• Grotz
  • 61 posts
After all this practicing I felt that I was ready for the major challenge.. Something that looked a lot like a flower pot...:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Overconfident I tried my hand at painting a big grey ork skull :D
Posted Image

...and a little tricky one for you guys. Does anyone recognize this little icon? ;)
Posted Image

All the pictures are taken with the camera function "soft flash" which actually looks alot like how they look IRL. That's all for now! (Just need to find a nice smiley to finish it off with..) :thumbs

mastergeebo

mastergeebo

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 33 posts
  • Army Name:don't have one yet
Wow, you do some amazing work.

Nosher

Nosher

Stikky Fingas

• Nobz
  • 2,802 posts
  • Army Name:Nosherz Ladz
Wow. Welcome to the forum! They're a Little bright & shiny for my taste, but there's no question that's some amazing work. These may be your first orks, but it's obvious your not new to the hobby - there's lots of cool little conversions & details in there, really an excellent job!!! :thumbs
So - whenever dem doks finish staplin' yer arms back on Haky, why don't you an yer boyz come down fer a visit. We'll 'av a few squigaritas, throw a few grots around an' discuss who dis 'ere choppa really belongs to...

These Waaaghs are a cross between a mass migration, holy crusade, looting party and pub crawl, with a bit of genocide thrown in for good measure.

You know Nosher's MO, anything he paints blue is automatically his.

- Nosher

RichardBranson

RichardBranson

Ammo Runt

• Boyz
  • 157 posts
  • Army Name:Yngwie's Bling Orkestra
Really nice paint! The highlighting is great and the skull is tops. The conversions are subtle and effective. Maybe if I actually made my stompa also function as a flowerpot my housemate wouldn't object to storing it in our small apartment. Not likely. Draksaar your English is better than that of some Canadian first-year university students. Don't suppose you'd mind sharing what you used for the verdigris effect on the brass parts?

Kapt. Nazgor

Kapt. Nazgor

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 21 posts
  • Army Name:Nazgor's raiderz
Nice colors, very cool look Draksaar. The Wartraks came out great, how long have you been modeling?

Taytonclait

Taytonclait

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 288 posts
I agree with Richard, often those that are nervous about their 2nd language have a much better grasp of it than those that speak it as their first (and only!) language. What was that Simpsons quote, when the Germans purchased the nuclear power plant? "I am sorry, my English is how do you say, inelegant." Anyways your builds are great, that Stompa really POPS with detail and colour, I really really like the oxidization you have on the brass or copper plating, with the blue, how do you do that? Great work, great post! Nice use of AoBR nobs made more interesting.
Smash 'em, Bash em, Skin em alive!!

Draksaar

Draksaar

Juicy Squig

• Grotz
  • 61 posts
How lovely to come home and see all these nice comments! :biggrin

Well Nosher these aren't exactly my first orks, more like some of the stuff I bought when I was young and never get around painting. I admit that I am big fan of bright colours, the shiny look however is merely the combined effect from GWs purity seal and the cameras flash ;)

The verdigris on the copper plates is actually the result of me not finding turquoise paint when I was digging in my box of old hobby stuff so instead I mixed dark angles green, regal blue, some white paint and plenty of water. So firstly I painted the areas brazen brass, then applied this mix and then brushed on some more brass to get some of that lovely brightness back again :thumbs

I've heard that double posting isn't very appreciated so I figured that I could just stuff some pictures of my next project into this reply.

As I found an old trukk I figured that I should just make another mob of trukkers... but as I wanted the trukk to look more like my jeep I had to chop it up abit:
Posted Image

..and then we have some basic (quite lame if you ask me) shoota boyz:
Posted Image

Suddenly struck by inspiration I fixed up these two to spice up the unit a little bit (don't worry, they have their shootas on their back so I believe that they are still legal as shoota boyz):
Posted Image

As with the previous units I wanted the leader to really be an icon of what kind of unit it is, so I give you all Itchy Fingas, together with probably the first orc I ever build... years ago... he's not very nice so he never got any paint:
Posted Image

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Gaf-Naz, Da Inter-Hive Firm
There's some great looking models in your waaagh. :thumbs I like the way you've highlighted your red, the freehand skull is great and the kustomisations you've made to the stompa are ded proppa. Where did the tracks on your buggies come from? And thanks for the verdigris recipe - I think I've not been adding enough water to mine as yours looks alot better. :cheers
Ork Town III - Terrain building competition, sponsored by Ramshackle Games.

Do you need some 6th edition fortifications for your army, a new terrain piece or an 'armies on display' board?

Then build it, paint it, post it and move into "da orkiest town in da ooniverse", and have the chance of winning a prize!

Draksaar

Draksaar

Juicy Squig

• Grotz
  • 61 posts
Thank you very much Gaf-Naz! :) I believe these tracks are from ramshackle games, not totally sure however. The verdigris indeed needs alot of water added to it in order to look good.

As I wasn' really content with the way the pictures turned out with the flash I tried to take some in daylight instead.. so does it look better or worse?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

In the meantime I've also managed to finish up my squad of shoota boyzso if you think these fotos are better I'll try to get some pictures of them when the sun is back up tomorrow ;)

Nosher

Nosher

Stikky Fingas

• Nobz
  • 2,802 posts
  • Army Name:Nosherz Ladz
My photography is notoriously bad Draksaar, so I don't know how much you should value my opinion, but I personally prefer daylight. Both sets of photos look great to me however, so I don't think you should feel limited to only taking pics when you've got sunlight available. Looking forward to seeing your next trukk & shoota mob come together!
So - whenever dem doks finish staplin' yer arms back on Haky, why don't you an yer boyz come down fer a visit. We'll 'av a few squigaritas, throw a few grots around an' discuss who dis 'ere choppa really belongs to...

These Waaaghs are a cross between a mass migration, holy crusade, looting party and pub crawl, with a bit of genocide thrown in for good measure.

You know Nosher's MO, anything he paints blue is automatically his.

- Nosher

ramshackle_curtis

ramshackle_curtis

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 443 posts
Your painting is very nice!

Furthermore, I found two small tracked vehicles that looked quite funky:
Posted Image

These models are death copters that have had tracks from Ramshackle Games added. They look cool! Please may I put this image up on my web gallery?

http://www.ramshackl....co.uk/gallery/

dood515

dood515

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 289 posts
  • Army Name:Kogbasha's Trakkboyz
What a nice red you have there! really like it. I haveto say I love the skull on your stompa, there's a glyph to be proud of! I also like that jeep - truck you made and would be interested in some in-progress shots of the next one you're making, especially the underside, as I have a few abused truck kits / chassis and was thinking of making something similar. Also, the symbol on the stompa's shoulder ... is it some kind of recycling heart / skull? Cheers, dood.
One of the many reasons why orks are more fun to play; Bosspoles:

"Roight ladz!, Barry's dead, an' if you don't kill dat fing Steve's dead too, alroight!!?"

QUOTE (Oddballz @ Dec 8 2009, 11:02 AM) *
I like my armies to have proppa guns, tracks and wheels, and not gribbly appendages with veins and orifices.

I seem to have started a blog: http://therustywartr...blogspot.co.uk/

geoff123

geoff123

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 336 posts
  • Army Name:Taking Care of Business
Very smooth painting, what technique do you use for the red? The blend is impressive :thumbs Love the little tracked vehicles, gonna use as inspiration for some small buggies I've been planning to make for a while

Draksaar

Draksaar

Juicy Squig

• Grotz
  • 61 posts
Well, the red isn't that hard to paint. Mainly thanks to mechrite red :thumbs after a nice and even coat of that miracle I paint the whole areas red gore. Then I do some very rough layering with blood red followed by a was with baal red. Efter thhat I highlight it again with blod red and finally some blazing orange. It took a little while to come up with a technique that didn't required me to mix any paints...

I've also tried a new foto method I call sunlight+soft flash, it works quite good I'd say.. the only thing that doesn't really show very well is the highlight on the leatherparts:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I also finished up their ride yesterday, it just need some assambly and a base now... speaking of bases.. I might have a little surprise for you guys ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

That's all for now!

Kleiner Zorn

Kleiner Zorn

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,147 posts
i really dont like how you shortened the pikkupp..... but the paintjob is great :D

RandomUsername

RandomUsername

Tankbusta Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 424 posts

...and a little tricky one for you guys. Does anyone recognize this little icon? ;)
Posted Image

Never heard of straight edge orks before. :lol ;)

Top notch painting, I especially like the skin tone. Though I can't help but to think that some of the metals could use a wash of devlan mud. Brilliant work, anyway! :D
''Socializing is what keeps us looking similar to real people.'' -- DAKKABU

Hi, my name's Random and I'm a washoholic...

Draksaar

Draksaar

Juicy Squig

• Grotz
  • 61 posts
Straight Edge? ehm, I tried to paint the Rise Against logo :P When it comes to metal I've actually always preferred to only give the areas a very thin coat of chaos black :thumbs

RandomUsername

RandomUsername

Tankbusta Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 424 posts

Straight Edge? ehm, I tried to paint the Rise Against logo :P When it comes to metal I've actually always preferred to only give the areas a very thin coat of chaos black :thumbs

That's what I was referring to! RA are straight edge (basically meaning they don't use drugs or booze), for your information. ;)
''Socializing is what keeps us looking similar to real people.'' -- DAKKABU

Hi, my name's Random and I'm a washoholic...

RichardBranson

RichardBranson

Ammo Runt

• Boyz
  • 157 posts
  • Army Name:Yngwie's Bling Orkestra
Punk rock geezers like me might remember that Ian Mackaye/Minor Threat started straightedge with a song called 'straightedge'; the movement went politically left and right after that. Relevance, y'all Meks might ask, to matters of orkness? I love the way the icon looks, from not knowing its origin. My question is whether orks would ever be cool with the straightedge thing. Like would ork punks call themselves 'Minor Threat'? I think they lack the sense of irony. I personally see orks more in line with 1980s style goffik rokk, or maybe deff metal of some kind.... Still, the thing looks really great. I am always nervous painting 'without the lines' (of the model), this has been inspiring paintwork on that account...