Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Stormboy with smoke

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

armored walker

armored walker

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 434 posts
About six months ago I put some pics up in Da Trophy Rack of some stormboyz with smoke and lighteffects, and I promised to make a tutorial about it. It got delayed a bit, mainly due to me getting tendonitis in my elbow from exessive use of the computer-mouse ( well ok, gaming for 12 straight hours a day for a week - I had the flu and I was too tired to do anything else).

Part one: Modelling smoke.

Here's the stormboy finished and the rough wire framework of the smoke built. The pliers are there to hold the model upright, 'cause there's not enough weight on the base - yet. The stormboy is not glued on, 'cause I'll paint him separately.

Posted Image

Now I've glued some rocks on the base for weight and to bulk up the frame.

Posted Image

Starting to build the smoke and flames with green stuff. I sculpted the flames at this point.

Posted Image

More GS added, just rough, long sausages of the stuff wrapped around the frame.

Posted Image

Finished frame:

Posted Image

For smoke I used bits of foliage clusters ( by Woodland Scenics, that's what I have) glued on the frame, bit by bit untill I was satisfied. I left the flame-parts visible.

Posted Image

The foliage was soft and new, so I had to harden it for painting. I used woodglue mixed with water, and just paintd over all the foliage bitz. Aftr it had dried, I had to do a second layer to get the bits I missed. Here it is before the glue has dried, sort of "a spruce in wintertime"-look.

Posted Image

Here they are primed:
Posted Image

Next: Painting smoke.
Armored walkers are Slow and Purposefull.

armored walker

armored walker

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 434 posts
Part two: Painting flames.

First I painted everything over with thinned-down black, because that will be the main colour. Next I picked out the naked flame bitz with Dheneb stone (white will do, but this is quicker).

Posted Image

Next the first glow drybrushed with Scab red, around the parts where the flames are visible.

Posted Image

Then a drybrush of Blood red.

Posted Image

Then some Fiery orange.

Posted Image

Next Golden yellow drybrush. Now I also start to paint the flames.

Posted Image

Sunburst yellow.

Posted Image

Sunburst yellow with white.

Posted Image

The hottest bitz of the flames with white. Finished.

Posted Image

Next: The boy.

armored walker

armored walker

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 434 posts
Part three: OSL on the stormboy.

First I painted the boy in my usual fashion, going for dark colours this time so the osl would show better.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now for the osl. I used the same colours as with the smoke, so it would look natural. The other important bit is to plan carefully where to paint, as only the bitz should get paint that would get lighted by a real lightsource. Also the parts furthest from the lightsource should be darkest and the parts closest shoud be lightest.

Posted Image

1. Scab red.
2. Scab red + Blood red 1:1
3. Blood red.

Posted Image

4. Fiery orange.
5. Golden yellow.
6. Sunburst Yellow.

Posted Image

7. Sunburst yellow + white, only on the bitz nearest to the flames.

That's it, questions wellcome as allways. I have some finished pics in the camera, will show later.
  • Gorlock likes this

Taytonclait

Taytonclait

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 326 posts
I am going to try and memorize this for ever. You do some awesome OSL!
Smash 'em, Bash em, Skin em alive!!

MaddaMek

MaddaMek

Gargant Krew

• Deathskullz
  • 2,775 posts
  • Army Name:Freak'd out Skulls
I'm gonna loot that for my Warbikers! I wonder if sand with glue could be used as replacement for more "coherent" smoke
Moldmaking tutorials [part 1] [part2]

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 4,804 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun
Fantastic! I requested this (doubt I was the only one) so thanks for getting around to it AW! :cheers It's massively simple, and amazingly effective. This is getting bookmarked and severely looted.