Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Grots Question

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Recon022

Recon022

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 3 posts
Just started playing Gorkamorka. No idea how I missed out on this game all these years...anyway, got a couple stoopid questions. Can Grots that are in a normal Orc Mob drive vehicles and be gunners on vehicles? We can't find anywhwere where it says they can't...although they can't even see over the dang steering wheel...lol. Thanks for replies in advance.

Flamekebab

Flamekebab

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 433 posts
It's a very valid point. I know they cannot challenge for leadership of an Ork mob but nowhere does it say anything about driving or acting as gunners. I think this may need to be FAQ'd. Opinions, folks?

Recon022

Recon022

• Grotz
  • 3 posts
For now we have house ruled that they can't be drivers or gunners, I guess more for the fact that you have to have a Slaver to even use Grots, so it just made sense to us that any Orc would probably be VERY pissed off if a Grot was chosen to be a Driver or Gunner...

Flamekebab

Flamekebab

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 433 posts
I tend to use Ork yoofs as drivers and square it with the fluff by the idea that it frees up the rest of the mob to get into the real fightin'! I probably wouldn't allow them to be drivers but I find the concept of them as gunners acceptable.

Ryan

Ryan

Growler (pet squig)

• Grotz
  • 90 posts
i think they should be able to do either, they make good starting gunners until there hit

Recon022

Recon022

• Grotz
  • 3 posts
So it sounds like there's really no rule against it then, and that was our main question. We weren't sure if we were just missing something. Guess it's really just up to the players, that's cool...

Flamekebab

Flamekebab

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 433 posts
If we reach a consensus then I can add it to the FAQ. It's a work in progress and not really ready for release yet, we're all kinda busy over at tUGS.

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 3,825 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun
Not entirely sure what that concensus is, but I don't think there should be any restriction. It ultimately depends on what the individual wants to do. I don't see it being a great idea anyway, as the second the Driver ends up in a scrap he'll be out of the driving seat faster than a Goff in a perfume shop. As one of the resident Rebel Grot players, Grots can do both for Rebels, I don't see why it should be different for Ork mobs either. Grots are capable of doing things without the runtherd constantly lookin' at them, in all Ork fluff other than Gorkamorka, it seems. :rolleyes Ultimately, if you don't think it makes sense, don't make your Grots drivers. There's only one devious tactic associated with it that I've seen, where some players start the campaign with Gretchin gunners or drivers, and wait for experience and skills to determine a better candidate, knowing the Grot will be easier to turf out of the position during barfights. Any restriction ultimately reduces the potential for mob character, and aside of the slight gamemanship I mentioned above, I'd argue a restriction on any other basis seems pretty massively against the spirit of the game to me.

NonComPoop

NonComPoop

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 13 posts
I can't really see any self respecting Nob allowing the plum position of driver/gunner on the mob's vehicle to go to a lowly grot: Unless he wants to be the laughing-stock of Mektown. It Certainly doesnt say you can't but I have a feeling it is an oversight. I think a mob would mutany if a grot was to take up position behind the mob's big flashy gun....or at least I would if I wuz one a' da boyz!

Senorankka

Senorankka

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 14 posts
It is prestigious position to drive a buggy/trukk. You can go fast, drive over people, and get all jealous looks from every yoof. It takes proppa ork to drive stuff, not some weedy grot. Only expection that I can see is that the grot helps mobs spanner to move the vehicle. It is a great question that can the grot even reach the pedals?
There is never enough dakka.

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 3,825 posts

It is a great question that can the grot even reach the pedals?

You seen Temple of Doom?

Senorankka

Senorankka

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 14 posts
I have, but I can't remember anything. It was years ago when I watched it. Enlighten me.
There is never enough dakka.

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 3,825 posts

I have, but I can't remember anything. It was years ago when I watched it. Enlighten me.

Short-round (the little chinese kid who was also in the goonies) drives the getaway car at the beginning of the movie. He wears wooden clogs under his trainers (not unlike those odd Ninja platform shoes) so that he can reach the peddles.

Grots are pretty resourceful, so they'd find a way. Lots of modelling potential there, really.

Ultimately, I reiterate my earlier point that if one doesn't think it makes sense for Grots to man those positions, don't put them in those positions. Enforcing restrictions based on fluff especially given the (not entirely unwarranted) tendency for many Ork fans to vastly underestimate the place of Gretchin in Ork fluff by quite massive amounts, is in my view a recipe for disaster. Let people sort out their own fluff. The less restrictions in place in GoMo, the better, really.

But anyway, in most cases it doesn't make sense. But anything can happen in SGs. That's what makes them so great.