Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Stuck Between Herd/Trolls

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Gibnats Gitstompa

Gibnats Gitstompa

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 1 posts
  • Army Name:Gibnats WAAAGH!!!
Oi, Boss! New player here looking for a little advice on a 1k fluff list I drew up. The lady and I recently decided to start some WFB armies and both of us have little (to no) experience. Well, she decided to start a Skaven army which left me torn between starting a Dwarf/O&G army. I've recently come to the conclusion that I should start an O&G army; when I think about the mayhem that will ensue between the two armies, I giggle like a grot on mushrooms. :lol

Anyways, our local shop had an The Isle of Blood Skaven force for 30$, so we went ahead and bought that as a starting point. She will be fielding everything from the starter set plus an additional unit of Plague Monks/Stormvermin, but she is currently undecided on which one of the two she wants as of now. I have been writing up many different O&G lists as we've been painting the Skaven, and I think I've finally settled on a BO/NG list that I like. (I have some Goblins from The Battle for Skull Pass that I bought a long while back, so I've tried to incorporate those.) I have most of the list done, but I'm stuck between using either Trolls or a Squig Herd.

Black Orc Big Boss in a unit of 40 Night Goblins -- FC, Netters -- Should I run these grotz with spears?

Night Goblin Shaman in a unit of 20 Night Goblins -- Short Bows

3 Night Goblin Fanatics

15 Black Orcs -- FC -- Should I run these boyz with shields?

1 Mangler Squigs -- These guys are so expensive ($), but with the rules and new model I can't pass them by!

So, here's where I'm stuck: I have room for either a Squig Herd (~6 NG/~12 Squig) or ~3 Trolls. I like the look of both units, and both are roughly the same price (points/money); both units would fit the army theme as well. I was just wondering if anyone here had an opinion on which unit might perform better? Also, a quick last question: if I do end up running the Trolls, could I run them each in it's own unit or would it be best to group them up into a single unit?

Thanks!

big mek tank krusha

big mek tank krusha

Battlewagon Gunner

• Blood Axez
  • 1,828 posts
  • Army Name:da mekforce
if you run trolls group them into a single unit, as i think they're rare so you can only have 2 duplicate choices per army (4 in a huge army) but more importantly bacause 1 on its own needs to take 3 wounds and it's gone, they win combat end of. 3 in a squad need to take 9 wounds to be removed, and remember that if they (somehow) go first, you've got 3 trolls slamming out attacks not one, and as any ork or orc player knows, quantity of dice is more important than quality, as freak rolls are harder to come by when you roll a fistfull (wheras rolling 2 1's to wound isn't exactly unheard of, rolling 10 is far less likely). i'm in the debate of whether to give my blorcs shields - on one hand it'll boost the save and save a further 1/6 of them, but on the other hand i'd prefer to dish out more attacks or more powerful attacks than be stuck with 1 basic attack per model. 2 choppas makes a 'normal' (5-a-rank) unit dish out 15 attacks, and a horde dish out 30, and great weapons speak for themselves, especially in the first round vs a monster (S7!!!). the biggest clincher would be the protection vs spells and missile fire, boosting the save to 4+ is pretty good to get the squad there mostly intact. how are you allocating the fanatics in your army? personally i plan to flank my blorc units with fanatic-toting night gobbos, so whatever gets close potentially gets hit, or missile fire is directed at removing the fanatic-squads and forgetting the big blorc squad you're about to charge is unscathed so far.

-BMTK-

the proppa way to loot a bastion!

mechanical nids in the FBH!

4th Edition Orks in 7th W/D/L: 7/0/3

7th edition Orks W/D/L 4/0/0

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,047 posts
  • Army Name:Mad Miks motor'eads
Id go for Trolls IMHO. However, i would keep them near your general and if possible get a Goblin hero with a Battlestandard in there to help with rolls/saves. To be fair, i would pass on the tip re Battle standard bearer to the Skavens too , they will need it just as much.
When all else fails Panic
If that doesnt work...then you know you are up to your neck in it!

big mek tank krusha

big mek tank krusha

Battlewagon Gunner

• Blood Axez
  • 1,828 posts
  • Army Name:da mekforce
also for the skaven player i've found that a unit of stormvermin with the shroud of dripping death is a very effective unit. actually broke through a unit of chaos warriors - that's pretty great for skaven!

-BMTK-

the proppa way to loot a bastion!

mechanical nids in the FBH!

4th Edition Orks in 7th W/D/L: 7/0/3

7th edition Orks W/D/L 4/0/0

Trogdar

Trogdar

Grot Oiler

• Boyz
  • 168 posts
  • Army Name:Badmoons
I haven't played fantasy orks and I haven't played against an ork player that runs either, but I like the squigs. Trolls have a lot of character and are powerful, but the stupidity always seems to be the big drag. If you run 6 ng & 12 squigs, I guess you will have a frontage of 5, so you get 10 s5 hits (with hatred@dwarfs) at ws4. That's gonna hurt a lot of things. Whereas the trolls you get 9 attacks at Ws3 so your are not going to hit as much. Fear doesn't seem to matter any more. The regen is the best part of a troll, as you probably won't encounter too many things where you use vomit. Also, you can use a couple of goblin boss on great squig for mangler squis and save some money by converting them. Mangler squigs are a must!

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,047 posts
  • Army Name:Mad Miks motor'eads
I wouldnt agree with the trolls, for example , you have a tough regenerating fear unit that can either take on armoured opponents and puke on them for no armour saves, or non armoured attacks for other opponents. Also dont forget the stomp attacks for the Trolls. Yeah they are stupid, but with a decent general near by and a Battlestandard bearer, this shouldnt be much worse than your general animosity type rolls for O&G. I prefer a giant personally, just for the extra fun factor but Trolls with the new rules are not to be underestimated. Granted the Warriors of Chaos Trolls with the troll king is better.
When all else fails Panic
If that doesnt work...then you know you are up to your neck in it!

Trogdar

Trogdar

Grot Oiler

• Boyz
  • 168 posts
  • Army Name:Badmoons

I wouldnt agree with the trolls, for example , you have a tough regenerating fear unit that can either take on armoured opponents and puke on them for no armour saves, or non armoured attacks for other opponents. Also dont forget the stomp attacks for the Trolls. Yeah they are stupid, but with a decent general near by and a Battlestandard bearer, this shouldnt be much worse than your general animosity type rolls for O&G. I prefer a giant personally, just for the extra fun factor but Trolls with the new rules are not to be underestimated. Granted the Warriors of Chaos Trolls with the troll king is better.

I agree with all points. Played against some trolls today. Opponent took six, which seemed to be a good amount to make it a viable unit.