Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How is this shading done?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Kage

Kage

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 16 posts
I've got some Trukks and Wagons to paint and came across this while looking for inspiration:

Posted Image

I really like the shading that's been done on the tusks at the front, but after several failed attempts I can't recreate anything like it. Can anyone advise how you might do this? The closest I've come is using Tin Bitz as a base and the shading up with Dwarf Bronze but if I try to mix white in there it just goes murky brown.

Da Blue Faced Monsta

Da Blue Faced Monsta

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 3 posts
From the pic, it looks like Non Metallic Metal (or NMM). Grey through white for the silver look and light brown or orange to a near black or dark brown for the other.

Nargred Uz Frothel the Grand

Nargred Uz Frothel the Grand

telescoping arm

• Goffz
  • 507 posts
An easier option is metallic basecoat followed by many many washes of badab black or ogryn flesh. After highlight the edges with mithril silver.
QUOTE (Scarpia @ Aug 1 2006, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now if only the big shoota was rending...... :lol

QUOTE (Sproston Green @ Dec 29 2008, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everybody knows real tank destroyers are open topped, (da betta ta watch da explosions and all).

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,375 posts
  • Army Name:Da Blue Thunda Speed Freeks
The effect is achieved with glazes... thinned down paint mixed with matte medium layered many many many times. A tricky technique... but it can also be done with washes. This effect may be in the new 'eavy Metal Masterclass. I just picked it up, I'll see if it is there and get back to this thread.
______Agatheron \_______
--Remember, long, uncontrolled bursts,
and indiscriminate target selection.
____________________________/

http://chaplainsbrush.wordpress.com/

Kage

Kage

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 16 posts
Cheers guys :) I'd love to hear what the 'eavy metal crew say.

Prowla

Prowla

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 132 posts

The effect is achieved with glazes... thinned down paint mixed with matte medium layered many many many times. A tricky technique... but it can also be done with washes. This effect may be in the new 'eavy Metal Masterclass. I just picked it up, I'll see if it is there and get back to this thread.

You can do rough glazing with thin coats of paint + water, as well. It's much easier to control if you're using proper medium, though! Vallejo has special Glaze Medium, I have no idea if it differs much from standard matte medium, but it feels pretty nice.

Using color gradients is something I'm trying to learn at the moment, too. You can actually use them pretty much everywhere for that smooth, professional look.