Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What to thin GW paint with for airbrushing?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

yoho1.5

yoho1.5

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 406 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Vampyre
hi I have a silver jet compressor and a neo gun and I'm base coating, camoflauging vehicles. I'm new to air brushing and just looking to urban camo using ultramarine blue, enchanted blue, regal blue and fortress gray. The ultra blue seems to split easily, been using isopropol alcohol to thin it, it worked okay. What do you guys thin your paint with?
Reduce! (Dakka, Krump) Reuse! (with help from Doks 'n Meks) Recycle! (Loot, 'n Loot more) GO GREEN!

Trogdar

Trogdar

Grot Oiler

• Boyz
  • 168 posts
  • Army Name:Badmoons
I'm no pro, but I use water with a GW airbrush.

Da Blue Faced Monsta

Da Blue Faced Monsta

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 3 posts
If your going to use the alcohol, I would mix it 1 part alcohol to 5-10 parts water. Every time I have have used straight alcohol, my paints have separated completely, no matter how much stirring I have do. I use straight distilled water, and rarely use the alcohol/distilled water mix, but when I do, I use a 1/10 ratio for mine. All the alcohol does is break water tension slightly and allow the liquid to dry faster than straight water. For reference, I use a Paasche Talon with a one of their compressors as well.

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,346 posts
  • Army Name:Da Blue Thunda Speed Freeks
I've made excellent use of Tamiya's X-20A thinner, which is Alchohol-based, but higher concentration than straight 70% Isopropyl (over the counter rubbing alcohol). I can't tell you the proportions, but I simply use a brush to scoop paint into a mixing jar, and then add eyedroppers of X-20A until it's about the consistency of skim milk. I've never had paint separation issues at all using the X-20A. Sprays very well that way. This is with my Grex Genesis XG and compressor... The GW paints thin very well for airbrushing. On the other hand DON'T use X-20A or any other alcohol-based thinner for Vallejo paints. Turns it to goop. For larger projects with the GW spray gun with my compressor, I use 70% rubbing alcohol with the foundation paints rather than tap water as the manual suggests. Covers well. I used that mix to paint (and later flock) my Realm of Battle Board in less than a week. For non-GW paints, I do recommend the Tamiya line, as they are designed for airbrushing as well.
______Agatheron \_______
--Remember, long, uncontrolled bursts,
and indiscriminate target selection.
____________________________/

http://chaplainsbrush.wordpress.com/

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 904 posts
What should you use for vallejo game color?

I'm right, and nothing ever annoys me more. - Dim

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Steel Hornz

• Boyz
  • 662 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

What should you use for vallejo game color?

Probably not the cheapest option but this seems to work
Attached File  thinner.jpg   44.12KB   3 downloads