Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Night Goblin Set-up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Glenn87

Glenn87

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 9 posts
Question on NG's. What is the best setup for them? I was planning on a big horde of 50 NG's with netters, spears and Fanatics in there. But alot of people disadvice me this (saying they won't do anything in combat). When I check Tournament lists (like ETC) I see alot of people fielding Gobbo's in units of 20-25 with short bows and fanatics (altough there is the random horde of NG's, but mostly also with short bows). What is the best setup comp. wise?

eastern barbarian

eastern barbarian

Tankbusta Boy

• Blood Axez
  • 414 posts
  • Army Name:Blood Axe Skwadron of Deff
definitely shields and hand weapons for extra ward save- spears on gobbos are waste of points, they hardly kill anything, but with sheilds you get extra 1 for save and then 6 + ward which increases their survivability. Fanatics definitely, at least two. Netters optional- if you got points then go for them. Small NG units with fanatics fill quite ddifferent role than 50 strong blocks,s o they cant be compared that easily.

Glenn87

Glenn87

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 9 posts

definitely shields and hand weapons for extra ward save- spears on gobbos are waste of points, they hardly kill anything, but with sheilds you get extra 1 for save and then 6 + ward which increases their survivability. Fanatics definitely, at least two. Netters optional- if you got points then go for them.
Small NG units with fanatics fill quite ddifferent role than 50 strong blocks,s o they cant be compared that easily.

waste of points?? Spears are free on NG's.

the choice would be either a 50-strong horde with spears an netters (and shields, free too)
OR
25 NG's with short bows (and 3 fanatics).

Glenn87

Glenn87

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 9 posts

definitely shields and hand weapons for extra ward save- spears on gobbos are waste of points, they hardly kill anything, but with sheilds you get extra 1 for save and then 6 + ward which increases their survivability. Fanatics definitely, at least two. Netters optional- if you got points then go for them.
Small NG units with fanatics fill quite ddifferent role than 50 strong blocks,s o they cant be compared that easily.

waste of points?? Spears are free on NG's.

the choice would be either a 50-strong horde with spears an netters (and shields, free too)
OR
25 NG's with short bows (and 3 fanatics).

eastern barbarian

eastern barbarian

Tankbusta Boy

• Blood Axez
  • 414 posts
  • Army Name:Blood Axe Skwadron of Deff
apologies, indeed they are. Still, i would go for hand weapon/shield combo in big horde.

striogi

striogi

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 137 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Guzzsnikk
I run spear/shields in my night goblins. I recently discovered however the rules of Steadfast, much to my lament. at the end of the combat, I had 2 hordes of 40+ and was running against empire halberdiers in the 25+ range - the 25 were steadfast because they had more ranks of 5+ than I did... so I lost combat, was not steadfast and was subsequently run down by the empire, even though I was nearly twice the model count. So: Unless you're running hordes of 5-7+ ranks, I'd recommend against running them and instead go for deep columns of units. Spears/shields/nets are fine - the spears help even up combat res by giving you a few more attacks, better if you're planning on receiving the charge. nets are great at helping your goblins survive, as long as you're not rolling 1's on your net roll. The danger of fanatics is if you have not yet released them when you charge, you could possibly run over the fanatic during your charge and thus hurt yourself - so it's yet another tactic to soften up a target as they charge.

Glenn87

Glenn87

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 9 posts
But what do you guys think of the 25-ish NG unit with bows. It only has a Musician (for reforms), and 3 fanatics. Seems like a suicide unit.

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,047 posts
  • Army Name:Mad Miks motor'eads

But what do you guys think of the 25-ish NG unit with bows. It only has a Musician (for reforms), and 3 fanatics. Seems like a suicide unit.

Both small units of NG bowmen and bigger units of spearmen have there place, but from my experience, i would field the smaller units of NG bowman towards the flanks, with fanatics and netters to protect them. The main force would be a big block of spearmen, with all the fanatics and netters you can fit in it. I once fielded a block of 10X10 but this is too unweildy (though it certainly intimidates the opponents) I used a buiscuit tin lid as a troop tray, fitted perfectly. However, 60+ is pretty good for a main force around the centre of a Battlefield, perhaps with B Orcs and some savage orc units either side to discourage flank attacks, then the NG bowmen and some wolf riders/spiderriders on the edges? Slip a Giant behind the B orcs and a few lobbas/chukkas and you have a good all round army to take on any opponent.
When all else fails Panic
If that doesnt work...then you know you are up to your neck in it!

Worboss Skrewakka

Worboss Skrewakka

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 208 posts
  • Army Name:orks

3 of those units would be fun, maybe in between the army. Such as [orcs] [ng] [savage] [ng] [orcs] [ng]
or [orc] [ng] [ng] [ng] [orc] Really how ever you want to run it, it's just some ideas.
My record wif da boyz

W/L/T
5/0/2

uummm....waagh?

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,047 posts
  • Army Name:Mad Miks motor'eads
I would tend to agree with Skrewakka on placing such units with the likes of Orcs on either side. They give cheap battlefield cover to protect the ranks of the harder units, and although not nessasarily suicide units, may not survive. At least in such a staggered mixed army, they wont cause the units next to them to panic, as the orcs would expect nothing less of their smaller weaker counsins. However, the unit is cheap and still packs the hidden punch of 3 fanatics, which in themselves can be a deterent to a stronger foes attacking the unit, or if it does, then failing to complete the charge in one peice. Many is a chariot or unit of knights who have fallen foul to the humble fanatics. Let us look at a worse case scenario, being charged by a Terror causing enemy. Now would a bigger unit of 40 NGs with full command and a "mighty " boss, faired much better for all the extra investment, perhaps not. It can still only hold 3 fanatics, and still has a similar Leadership score...and will run away just as fast. True, if the Boss carried a Battlestandard, they would get a re roll on the test. But still, the cheap unit of 25 and 3 fanatics with a musician, is still worth its points. Whether it be a unit of bowmen or spearmen with shields. If ranked 5X5 they will probably outnumber their opponents, unless they are fighting some other cheap unit such as Skaven slaves, in which case they will do ok in CC. As for the idea of 3 of these units vs one big unit. Three smaller units will give greater flexibility in movement, more survivabilty to the likes of terror charges, greater opportunity to flank attack the enemy units who have ignores the puny Goblin units and charged madly into the hungry orcs beside them...and .. 9 fanatics spinning around the battlefield. A bargain in my book. Give the small units netters and they will be even better.
When all else fails Panic
If that doesnt work...then you know you are up to your neck in it!

big mek tank krusha

big mek tank krusha

Battlewagon Gunner

• Blood Axez
  • 1,852 posts
  • Army Name:da mekforce
personally i plan on having at least one flank of my main hitters protected by a 2-fanatic wielding night gobbo bow-squad. that way if my orcs are charged, the gobbos can send their fanatics diagonally to intercept and weaken the charger, and if there looks to be a second charge lined up i can try to aim the second fanatic past the initial chargers to get in the way of them. 3 fanatcis, while seeming awesome, just seems too many points in case the unit flees or is destroyed. however there's not much beter than shand-and-shoot with 20 gobbos, plus 3D6 S5 AP hits to break a charge. better if the fanatics fall short - 6D6 S5 AP hits. thats why i plan to aim the fanatics to the far corner of the unit, so there's more ground to cover and less chance of it reaching them, so the completed charge will inflict 2D6 fanatic hits, which is worth losing the fanatic for (especially with it so close to your army!)

-BMTK-

the proppa way to loot a bastion!

mechanical nids in the FBH!

4th Edition Orks in 7th W/D/L: 7/0/3

7th edition Orks W/D/L 4/0/0