Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What is a good size unit for common goblins

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Warmong3r

Warmong3r

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 9 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Warmong3r
Common Goblins...I've tried a unit of 30, that failed. I've tried a unit of 40, that failed. Both were horde formation. What is a good number that can kill stuff without being really cheezy?

choppastorm

choppastorm

Grot Slave

• Boyz
  • 141 posts
  • Army Name:good question
wellllllllllllllll......... that really depends on what you want them to do If they are an assassian delivery unit then 25 with command If they are supposed to be front line infantry then I would say 50 with command and assassains (you will need them)
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

big mek tank krusha

big mek tank krusha

Battlewagon Gunner

• Blood Axez
  • 1,841 posts
  • Army Name:da mekforce
2 units of 30. maybe even three. at least one with something either side that can flank-charge any chargers. having a 'horde' type army isn't just about taking hordes - it's about taking more units than the opponent, which will guarantee charges for some of your army - there's no way he can charge it all at once! now, i've not used goblins yet, but as they're akin to skaven in the basic use of them, i'd suggest taking units of 20 in 4 ranks. i commonly run 4 to 6 units of shield-spear and shield-ccw skaven in my list. they do quite well holding their own, but a single unit of weak'uns generally doesn't do well - it only has to lose 1 combat and your outnumbering unit is all gone - the other thing with 2 squads is he can only persue one if you break from combat, so 1 will survive and have a chance to regroup and get back fighting. as most units are run in either horde (10 wide) or 'normal' (5 wide) ranks, having a horde is generally less advantage than spears - if a 5-wide squad charges you then only 5 or 6 or so of your models will be able to attack at the front, so 3 ranks of 5 or 6, wheras a 5-wide 4-ranked unit with spears can attack about the same amount, for cheaper, and stop hordes with higher initiative from getting every model attacking by being only 5-wide. then you can get 2 units of 20 with spears for a bit more than a unit of 4o without. but the big thing is to stop thinking of each individual unit as 'did work' or 'didn't work' and start thinking of how it can work in the army. not every unit can hold its own on its own, and treating every unit as individual is a sure way to lose against an opponent commanding his forces as a whole. (think of the difference between me throwing a handful of marbles at you (a bit painful) and throwing a bag of marbles at you (very painful). hope this helps! :cheers

-BMTK-

the proppa way to loot a bastion!

mechanical nids in the FBH!

4th Edition Orks in 7th W/D/L: 7/0/3

7th edition Orks W/D/L 4/0/0

Warmong3r

Warmong3r

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 9 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Warmong3r

2 units of 30. maybe even three. at least one with something either side that can flank-charge any chargers.

having a 'horde' type army isn't just about taking hordes - it's about taking more units than the opponent, which will guarantee charges for some of your army - there's no way he can charge it all at once!

now, i've not used goblins yet, but as they're akin to skaven in the basic use of them, i'd suggest taking units of 20 in 4 ranks. i commonly run 4 to 6 units of shield-spear and shield-ccw skaven in my list. they do quite well holding their own, but a single unit of weak'uns generally doesn't do well - it only has to lose 1 combat and your outnumbering unit is all gone - the other thing with 2 squads is he can only persue one if you break from combat, so 1 will survive and have a chance to regroup and get back fighting.

as most units are run in either horde (10 wide) or 'normal' (5 wide) ranks, having a horde is generally less advantage than spears - if a 5-wide squad charges you then only 5 or 6 or so of your models will be able to attack at the front, so 3 ranks of 5 or 6, wheras a 5-wide 4-ranked unit with spears can attack about the same amount, for cheaper, and stop hordes with higher initiative from getting every model attacking by being only 5-wide. then you can get 2 units of 20 with spears for a bit more than a unit of 4o without.

but the big thing is to stop thinking of each individual unit as 'did work' or 'didn't work' and start thinking of how it can work in the army. not every unit can hold its own on its own, and treating every unit as individual is a sure way to lose against an opponent commanding his forces as a whole. (think of the difference between me throwing a handful of marbles at you (a bit painful) and throwing a bag of marbles at you (very painful).

hope this helps! :cheers

Wow thank you so much. I never thought of it like that! You're a very kind orc :thumbs

GreatEscape_13

GreatEscape_13

Grot Rigger

• Boyz
  • 179 posts
I find that a horde of 30 with bows and a musician is a favorite unit. Cheap, disposable, but capable of inflicting a fair amount of damage to foes who charge it (between stand and shoot and then combat). Cheers.

Kaptun Krum

Kaptun Krum

Arbork Kaptun

• Bosses
  • 6,145 posts
  • Army Name:Da Arborkz
That's a very good point. Are you running them as combaty or support? I am running mine as support. I run a 30 man block with shields and bows currently. Tonight I am going to try to do two blocks of 30 and see how that goes. I don't necessarily use them to just go at the enemy but something for some minor points denials for my opponents and support for my orc units if then need to help break something with steadfast.
Arborkz on Patrol
Kaptun Krum on Patrol!!