Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Gorkamorka FAQ

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

illmatic

illmatic

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 2 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Gorglum
Recently a bunch of my gaming group has started playing Gorkamorka. After playing 10-15 games, we've realized there are a couple areas where the rules seem to break down. Is there an official FAQ for Gorkamorka floating around somewhere? I'll give you some examples of the problems we are having. 1) Multiple combats. The rules are only clear on what happens in combats with either a 1v1 fight, or multiple fighters vs 1. When you have a 3v2 fight it's not clear about who can fight whom as not all the models will be in base to base with each other, who is prevented from being finished off when knocked down, etc. Our group has taken to separating combats when a 2v1 becomes a 2v2 into as many single combats as possible, following the old 2nd Edition 40k rules. 2) Charging. The charging rules basically describe it as a double move that puts you into base to base with your target. The rules on page 10 of Da Rules seem to be missing: - something to prevent you from charging models you can't see (out of LOS behind terrain) - rules forcing you to charge the nearest target (which are mentioned on page 60 of Da Uvver Book under the Well 'Ard skill) Also, being a former Mordhiem player: - rules to prevent you from piling up 2-3 guys against 1, when you have other unoccupied enemy models standing right next to the combat - rules to make you charge in a straight line so you can't run around enemy models to attack ones standing behind 3) Tailing and racing. The rules for tailing and racing describe that you need to make thrust tests to attempt to keep up with an enemy you are chasing if they make thrust tests. It doesn't however describe what happens if you pass your test. Do you move the same distance as your opponent moved for his thrust, or do you roll to see how far you go as well? We have being playing the rule so that you also roll to see your distance traveled. However, sometimes if your opponent rolls low and you roll high, you end up ramming the back of his trukk. Does this count as a ram in his turn? Can he make a leadership test to swerve? What happens if your opponent performs a slow speed maneuver when you are tailing him? He can basically turn his vehicle around to almost face you, and there's no way to stay behind him. 4) Running over models in combat. Sometimes you are forced to move in a way that sends your vehicle through models in combat. We have been playing it so that all the models in the combat make their initiative tests to avoid getting hit. However afterwards the rules say that you randomly push the models hit to the left or right out of the way D3". Does this break up models in the combat if they go a different way? If they aren't hit by successfully making their initiative test, they are allowed to choose to dodge left or right. Can this allow models in combat to leap to a side different than their opponent to break up the fight? The rules also don't seem to mention whether you are allowed to intentionally run over models in combat. 5) Drivers with hatred or frenzy. The rules for hatred describe that you must attempt to ram enemy models you hate if they are within 6" from the front of his vehicle at any point during its movement. The rules for frenzy describe that you must attempt to ram enemy models within 6" of the front of his vehicle during its movement (but missing the "at any point"). Does this mean frenzied drivers only attempt to ram if enemy models are within 6" of the vehicle at the start of it's movement? Or is this a typo? A frenzied model also has to attempt to charge an enemy model within his charge range (usually 8"). Does this mean if an enemy model is within 8" but outside 6" my driver has to bail out of the vehicle and charge? 6) Scorchas and kustomizing. The rules for Kannons, Stickbombs, Crossbows and Bows all have specific rules about customizing them. Scorchas seem to be missing these rules as I can't figure out how to add more range or a sustained fire dice to a scorcha template.

Flamekebab

Flamekebab

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 436 posts
Currently there's no official FAQ. I've been meaning to get one written for GoMo and published somewhere easily accessible on tUGS but I've been somewhat preoccupied with other projects. You've got a good start in that list, I must say. How about we all post the issues we've had here and then when we've agreed on the "correct" answers we create a page on tUGS, or a sticky topic, or both?

Skippy

Skippy

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 10 posts
I think Flamekebab will agree that whether you need to charge in a straight line has occasionally been an issue of contention for us as well. If I ever find the time, I'll pore over the rules and see how many of your questions are covered to one degree or another. I think your approach to multiple combats is a good one. Regarding tailing: thrust distance isn't random, it's just up to 6" (or 5" for traks, or 7+" for kustomised vehicles). This still leaves the problem that vehicles involved in a chase can be moving at different speeds, though. Personally, I think that in the event of a speed difference, I'd just ignore it for tailing purposes and move the tailing vehicle to keep its previous position; this is just my gut preference and probably not found in any rules, though.

illmatic

illmatic

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 2 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Gorglum
I guess what I wrote about tailing and thrust tests was unclear. If you are chasing someone and they fail their thrust test, they potentially move spin out, move D6 forward and spin out, swerve and move D6 forward or just move D6 forward. You can stay within 2" easily with the spin out, move and spin out, or just move D6 forward by passing your own thrust test. The swerve result makes the vehicle getting tailed tough to stay behind because it's a free turn which potentially can happen after successfully making a leadership test to turn already. A vehicle like a trakk getting chasing an upgraded trukk can lose it's opponent by just being able to thrust further than the model tailing it. Or vice versa, the tailing vehicle can put itself in a position to ram the vehicle it's chasing. It seems to me that in all these scenarios the easiest thing to do would be to keep the tailing vehicle behind the chased vehicle as long as you keep making successful turn tests and thrust tests to match the chased vehicle. If the chased vehicle fails a test and the tailing vehicle doesn't, just move it up behind the chased vehicle (the solved the swerve problem). If the chasing vehicle is slower, it doesn't matter. This can be explained that the slower vehicle "drafts" the vehicle it's chasing, giving it an extra boost of speed. Finally, I would rule against the tailing vehicle ramming or colliding with the vehicle it's chasing. And in the scenario of the chased model performing a slow speed maneuver, I think I would allow the tailing vehicle to get a free ram in which can't be be avoided with a swerve test. It seems only fair that if a vehicle is barreling along behind you and you slam on the breaks that you get rammed. If you were racing and performed slow speed maneuvers I think I would endeavor to keep the other vehicle racing side by side. I've got an additional question. 7) Doc Skill. The rules for the Doc skill reads "At the end of the game you can re-roll a single serious injury result for each Doc in your mob." Can you re-roll serious injury results that happen due to a pit fight or eksperimentation result. Both of these happen at the end or between games depending on how your club tallies up results.

Flamekebab

Flamekebab

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 436 posts

I've got an additional question.

7) Doc Skill.

The rules for the Doc skill reads "At the end of the game you can re-roll a single serious injury result for each Doc in your mob." Can you re-roll serious injury results that happen due to a pit fight or eksperimentation result. Both of these happen at the end or between games depending on how your club tallies up results.

I would say so, as long as said warrior with Doc skill was not involved in either of those. What does everyone else think?

Emperorz Teef

Emperorz Teef

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 6 posts
  • Army Name:Rukgarz 'Ardboyz
For some of the combat and (infantry) movement rules, would it perhaps be worth citing similar but clearer examples from Necromunda and 2nd ed 40k? Since the rules are so similar it might help.

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 3,962 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun

1) Multiple combats.

The rules are only clear on what happens in combats with either a 1v1 fight, or multiple fighters vs 1. When you have a 3v2 fight it's not clear about who can fight whom as not all the models will be in base to base with each other, who is prevented from being finished off when knocked down, etc.

Our group has taken to separating combats when a 2v1 becomes a 2v2 into as many single combats as possible, following the old 2nd Edition 40k rules.

Necromunda specifically mentions that the combat system is based on one-on-one fights, and Multiple Combats are based on one model being outnumbered. Fray splitting as they did in 2nd Edition is the best solution. Interestingly this has never been mentioned in any Necromunda FAQ. I presume people either fight it out as it happens or use some common sense (as above).

2) Charging.

The charging rules basically describe it as a double move that puts you into base to base with your target. The rules on page 10 of Da Rules seem to be missing:

- something to prevent you from charging models you can't see (out of LOS behind terrain)

There are a few issues with this, and the Necromunda FAQ has addressed this twice. The first says you can charge models out of LOS if they are within your initiative range, however the second variation just lets you charge them. Both rules draw a distinction between models that are out of LOS and those that are hidden. In both rulesets it is Hidden models that cannot be charged, although the charge movement may reveal a hidden model for another model to be charged in the latter clarification.

I'd take the Necromunda rules as the answer on this imo. Others may disagree, but the games use almost identical core rulesets.

- rules forcing you to charge the nearest target (which are mentioned on page 60 of Da Uvver Book under the Well 'Ard skill)

Because of the existence of this skill, I think it would be bad form not to include this in an FAQ. I'd advise Gorkamorka players to use this as a rule, if only to help resolve some of the other rules issues and to make the Well 'Ard skill work.

Also, being a former Mordhiem player:

- rules to prevent you from piling up 2-3 guys against 1, when you have other unoccupied enemy models standing right next to the combat
- rules to make you charge in a straight line so you can't run around enemy models to attack ones standing behind

That's Mordheim, imo. I could understand taking rules concepts from Necromunda (which is a virtually identical system) but Mordheim is considerably different. That said, if you incorporate the closest charging rule into the FAQ, I'd definitely consider making an exception based on the above rule, of ruling out occupied enemy models much in the same way that shooting in Necromunda can disregard models in better cover vs. ones out in the open (as a matter of fact I'd even suggest writing the rule in the FAQ to allow players to potentially ignore models in cover when choosing what to charge as well).

As to the straight line rule, it may be worth considering, but Necromunda doesn't have it anyway. Besides, with the closest charging rule in place, you most likely wouldn't really need this rule.

6) Scorchas and kustomizing.

The rules for Kannons, Stickbombs, Crossbows and Bows all have specific rules about customizing them. Scorchas seem to be missing these rules as I can't figure out how to add more range or a sustained fire dice to a scorcha template.

Probably because it cannot be kustomised.

Anyway, I definitely think we should use this thread to discuss writing an FAQ. To help us get started, I'm going to share my copy of the Necromunda Answer Mod FAQ, which I'm not really supposed to share, but the SG forum isn't doing anything at the moment for Necromunda, whereas tUGS are getting things done for GoMo quite regularly. So this may help a bit:

Attached File  answer_mod_faq___10_10_2008.pdf   456.6KB   12 downloads

Unfortunately, despite pinching the rules for vehicles from GoMo for Ash Wastes, they're barely developed, and the FAQ doesn't address any vehicle-based issues whatsoever. So with the Vehicles we'll probably have to make more logical conclusions on our own wits, because Necro offers little help in that regard.

I will advise players against using RAW to solve rules issues. This isn't 40k, you're expected to take logical decisions yourself, and adapt the rules with house rules, rather than try to literally analyse the wording as if the answer lies within it. Keep that for the kiddies' games.