Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cleaning models before paint

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

Kurkfash

Kurkfash

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 24 posts
This is a total noob question (and probably a stupid question) but I just wanted to make sure. I used a little vaseline to keep my tools from sticking to green stuff while working on my army, and I've heard it's important to wash greasy stuff off before priming, as it can keep the paint from sticking. Should I just use warm water and soap like I did before I assembled everything? I guess I'm just concerned about any negative effects it could have on glue/green stuff/whatever. I'm not even sure what effects it could possibly have, I just want to make sure I don't screw up anything after I spent so much time putting it all together. I searched around for an answer to this but as you might imagine "washing" just got me info on using washes, and "cleaning" got me info on stripping paint from models. Sorry for the stupid question...

Keg

Keg

'Ead Graft

• Deathskullz
  • 718 posts
  • Army Name:Keg'z Mek 'Eadz
I don't think there really is a need to wash your models before priming/painting unless your miniatures are genuinely greasy or dirty. At least I never have, it was to my understanding the only material that you should wash before priming would be resin models. However, I guess there is no harm in washing them anyway, if that's what you're into? If that's the case I'd assume warm water and maybe a toothbrush would be good enough? Keg

Ozzie

Ozzie

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 133 posts
  • Army Name:-
Plastic - don't wash, there's no need. Metal - I don't wash metal and have not had problems. Resin - As Keg pointed out, yes. Resin models should be washed because of the mold release used.

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,553 posts
  • Army Name:Da Blue Thunda Speed Freeks
In resin, it's absolutely essential. Use some good quality citrus cleaner like Goo Gone or Zep's degreaser... without it, the paint and even the primer will flake off or rub off extremely easily.
______Agatheron \_______
--Remember, long, uncontrolled bursts,
and indiscriminate target selection.
____________________________/

http://chaplainsbrush.wordpress.com/

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,750 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh
...and yes, if you have done some gs work on a model and used vaseline at all, then you should wash it with dish detergent before you prime. If you have done extensive conversions it's probably a good idea too. The tiny amounts of skin oil on your fingers will deposit on a model (especially the high points) and make it prone to shed primer and paint during normal game-time handling.
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Mekboy Wee Dakka

Mekboy Wee Dakka

Flash Git

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,065 posts
Funny... besdies resin, I've never washed a model before and never had a problem.... but it is a good idea in hindsight.
It's not the size of your dakka, it's wot you do with it.

ARBAL

ARBAL

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 19 posts
How to prepare figure for painting? Basics of basics...
http://www.colouredd...r-painting.html

Nork

Nork

Grot Orderly

• Boyz
  • 189 posts
  • Army Name:Da Skavenga's
I can't imagine warm soapy water having any negative effects on GS plastic, metal or resin. But it may be an idea to test this, greenstuff a spare piece of sprue, using vasaline like you normally would, let it set and then wash it. Takes some time but lessens the risk.

MaddaMek

MaddaMek

Gargant Krew

• Deathskullz
  • 2,775 posts
  • Army Name:Freak'd out Skulls

I can't imagine warm soapy water having any negative effects on GS plastic, metal or resin.

But it may be an idea to test this, greenstuff a spare piece of sprue, using vasaline like you normally would, let it set and then wash it.

Takes some time but lessens the risk.

Actually it's hot water rather than soap that may warp resin. Especially GW resin. Plastic and metal don't give a damn tho (I believe even boiling water can't damage plastic, however bases WILL bend as they are made from crappy kind of plastic)

I use denatured alcohol for metal and plastic (it also is good for stripping models from paint), however I don't know how it may react with GW resin - I had some problems with few recasts (it was all rubbery).

Alcohols are great for cleaning out oil and sweat.

Remember to clean models with water after soap bath!
Moldmaking tutorials [part 1] [part2]

ridin_shotgun

ridin_shotgun

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 562 posts
  • Army Name:Da Krump Karnival Klan
Threadomancy guys..... Not cool..... Shotgun
All Orks is equal, but some Orks are more equal dan da uvvaz.